Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Ghadis_God
reim0027
vatar5
BloodBlade22
8 posters

A few newbie ?s

BloodBlade22
    Casual
    Casual

A few newbie ?s Empty A few newbie ?s

Post by BloodBlade22 Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi there everyone.

1. May as well get this out of the way... resistance is useless if planning to go to high levels? I read that they may have fixed it in 1.05, but I want confirmation before I build my new character. I am planning a pure PvE build, going as high as I can in levels (if this is advisable).
    2. I still don't quite understand how items scale with stats... I read here and there that you only want enough str/dex to use your weapon and the rest is a waste? Or are there specific str type weapons that do scale with str, thus making 99 str a good thing? Please advise.
    3. I am planning to make a paladin type character that focuses on melee combat and has some nice healing/buff spells. Can you please advise what stats I should focus on and how high I should go? Is maxing faith worth it? How much attunement slots will I need without having to waste item slots to gain extras? I also may dabble in pyromancy (as I hear that there really isn't a reason not to), but im kind of torn to want to just keep magic out of it and go for pure melee.

Sorry for the slight wall of text and multiple questions in a point, on my phone right now and editing is a pain. If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. remember I have zero plans on doing any pvp. Im talking a strictly pve char.
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

A few newbie ?s Empty Re: A few newbie ?s

Post by vatar5 Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:15 pm

1)I heard it was more useful on the DLC but still a complete waste of points.

2)It depends entirely on what kind of build but IF you do a pure STR/DEX build,you want to stop at 41 as afterwards,one point will only add 1-2 point of damage which is too a waste because I'd the diminishing returns.Basically,the more point you have in strength for example,the more bonus damage(the +xxx on the screen) a STR weapon will have but when you reach a point(40-41 in STR)the bonus per point in STR will diminish.Dunno I've explained clearly.
    Note that you can get buff spells which scale either on your maj. Adj of your catalyst or either of your talisman so...lots of options. Since you want to make a paladin,get either Darkmoon blade or Sunlight blade and buff your STR weapon +15 normal for maximum damage!

3)For a Paladin,I recommend you cap STR at 40-41 and your Faith at 50,the rest can be put in Vitality,endurance and maybe Att until you get an comfortable amount of spell slot(6 is good I guess,depends on which miracle you want to use). You may have to put a few points on Dex depending of the weapon you want to wield.
    It really depends on what stuff you want to use(weapons and armor).
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Welcome to the forum, Blood!
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:22 am

Basically, weapons that you upgrade to +15 and have a scaling stat at 40 for are better than weapons that you have minimum stats for and upgrade to elemental paths.
    GTP_Zodicus
    Regular
    Regular

Post by GTP_Zodicus Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:47 am

every time you lvl up you gain a point in def, and every time you lvl up and add a point of resistance you get 2 points of def, then after a while its only every other lvl up. If you want to add some defence at low levels farm some humanity, every point of humanity adds to youre defence I usually run with at least 10.

What I have done with my palidan is pick my weapon, usually the sunlight straight sword, then get just enuf str and dex to use it pluse mabye a little if i want to play around with other weapons. Then you upgrade the weapon to devine, then accult. What this will do is change the stats that add damage, so now you get a small bonus from str and dex but a good bonus from faith. Now when you lvl up youre faith you also get more damage from youre weapon.

If you want to heal youre host in jolly co op joining the princese gaurd after you beat O&S will let you use bountiful and soothing sunlight, witch can be found in dukes archives, and are the only AOE heals in the game. Joining the warriors of sunlight earlier in the game will give you acsess to the lightning spear spells witch arnt to bad. The standard heal spell can acutally be quite effective for a while if you start as a cleric, the canvas talisman they give you to start is one of the best untill you get a really high faith stat.

more on scaling, all it means is you get extra damage based on a stat. You can view this when you look at a weapon in the menu. There will be a base damage followed by a "+" then another number. That other number is how much of a bonus you are getting from you're stat or stats that scale that weapon. The stats that scale that weapon are shown with a letter under them. So lets say there is a D under dex and a B under str, this means you get a bonus from dex and a bigger bonus from str. The order from worst to best is e,d,c,b,a,s.
    Lets take that same weapon and make it devine, what will likely happen is dex will drop to E and str will drop to C mabye D but it will add a new scaleing stat at faith and probably at a B rating, then if you go accult it may lower str and dex further or they might stay the same it depends on the weapon, but it will change the faith to either an A or an S. Both of these upgrades also add magic damage to the weapon and a devine adjustment of 120% meaning anything weak to devine will take 120% damage.
    hope that helps, laterz happy
    BloodBlade22
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodBlade22 Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:50 am

Thanks for the replies everyone! The explanation of weapon upgrades answered many questions I have been having- thanks alot for that zodicus.

On the subject of upgrading weapons- what weapon should I upgrade? I am liking the longsword alot for its mix of quickness and length, but is that worth upgrading past +5? If not, can you maybe suggest some item bases that are worth the resources to upgrade (that are similar to the longsword style)? Also, I plan on doing the same to a 2hander weapon, something used solely to pound bosses faces (or more likely their butts) with.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:22 am

The best weapon to upgrade is the one you like using. Its not worth using the "best" weapon if you dont enjoy using it. If you enjoy the longsword upgrade it. It is a decent weapon. For 2 handed weapons I personally enjoy the Man Serpent Greatsword (MSGS).
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:41 am

^This although it is easy to parry in PvP but is really awesome on PvE,awesome stat scaling and it hits fast.
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:02 am

BloodBlade22 wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone! The explanation of weapon upgrades answered many questions I have been having- thanks alot for that zodicus.

On the subject of upgrading weapons- what weapon should I upgrade? I am liking the longsword alot for its mix of quickness and length, but is that worth upgrading past +5? If not, can you maybe suggest some item bases that are worth the resources to upgrade (that are similar to the longsword style)? Also, I plan on doing the same to a 2hander weapon, something used solely to pound bosses faces (or more likely their butts) with.

As Doughboy said, it's more about what you are comfortable with or like than what approaches objective "best". If you like the longsword, though, both the claymore (on the dragon bridge) and the bastard sword (bought from Andre the blacksmith) are more or less larger versions with heavier attacks. The claymore gets a similar thrust, too, although the bastard sword does not.

Here's some decent guidelines about how different weapon classes are best used:

Straight swords are the fast weapon of choice for mixed strength and dexterity builds, because a lot of them scale well with both stats. There are some exceptions, such as the Silver Knight Sword and Balder Side Sword, that scale with dexterity much more powerfully, though. This class of weapon does every task well, but no task at peak efficiency, so these weapons require you to adapt to your adversaries.

Curved swords are very similar to straight swords in damage and speed, but they tend to focus on dexterity over anything else. Some of these have a bleeding effect that knocks off about 30% of an enemy's health if you hit them in quick succession with a few attacks. You essentially use these adaptably, like straight swords. The differences are quite minute.

Thrusting swords scale with dexterity above all else, but are otherwise the inversion of curved swords. They also allow you to attack from behind a shield without dropping your guard, making them excellent for intercepting an enemy's attack from safety. The cost of their combination of high speed, decent damage and guarded attacks is how limited they are when it comes to staggering enemies -- expect to be zipping in and out of range with these a lot, since you'll seldom be able to chain attacks courtesy of an enemy getting stunned.

Greatswords are the heftier versions of straight swords, usually requiring a higher stat investment to use in the first place. That said, they deal high damage, are quicker than you'd expect, and are some of the most efficient weapons in the game for stunning your enemies. These can be used very offensively, especially in two hands, since you can rush in, strike, and count on your attacks stunning an enemy and opening them up to more attacks. These are up for a nerf in the new content, but that just means they've gone from "stupidly overpowered" to "good". For the most part, greatswords scale well with both strength and dexterity, like straight swords, so a variety of builds can get good use out of them.

Curved greatswords are similar to the regular sort, except they tend to have more "contained" attack animations and include a bleeding effect. These weapons are reasonably rare, and I think there are only three types in the entire game. These weapons tend to have high strength requirements, but to scale predominantly with dexterity, making them good choices for builds that use a considerable amount of both stats.

Ultra greatswords are slow, sure, but they're also huge, which means they have range. And you can use that range to attack while an enemy is out of distance but making an approach, allowing them to fall into your range as they attack and thereby mitigating the slow speed of the weapon. These weapons then hit hard, stun like no-one's business and have lovely sweeping attacks. Good for high strength characters, but characters that also have good dexterity will get some extra juice out of the likes of the zweihander. Use these weapons if you absolutely must hit for maximum impact at a long range, but forget them if you prefer to get into an enemy's face.

Axes and hammers stun as effectively as regular greatswords, but with less damage and more speed. Their animations often leave you quite vulnerable if you miss, but they scale well with strength and have very, very low dexterity requirements, making them stat-efficient weapons choices if you want to invest points elsewhere. Their lack of versatility and their tendency to make you vulnerable are necessary downsides to what are otherwise highly efficient weapons.

Great axes and great hammers are the heavier equivalents of ultra-greatswords; they hit harder and stun just as effectively, but have a less versatile set of moves. These are the weapons of choice for players who just want to maximise their raw damage at the expense of everything else, and they allow you to both push your own offense and cruelly punish enemy mistakes. Just be careful -- like the regular axes and hammers, these weapons make you a sitting duck while you recover, so choose your attacks wisely.

Spears are much like thrusting swords in that they can attack from behind a shield, but they tend to have higher stat requirements and deal more damage. Their extreme length also allows you to defend yourself aggressively -- you can attack and stagger enemies from quite a distance away and with great speed, so you can control battles very easily. These aren't the engines of destruction that greatswords are, but in a similar fashion, they allow you to combine your offensive and defensive measures into a single action.

Halberds are where the axe and spear weapons classes meet. They tend to have wide, powerful cutting attacks that strike at long distance, and the default halberd has a very useful thrust, too. These weapons tend to have strength requirements along the lines of greatswords, but scale better with dexterity -- again, making them good for mixed stat characters. Much like spears or ultra-greatswords, you use halberds to control a fight by moderating distance and keeping circumstances in your favour. The difference is that halberds hit harder than spears and faster than ultra-greatswords, arguably making them more versatile.

Daggers are all about the critical damage, with only a couple of exceptions. These weapons do pretty tiny damage and don't have much stun potential, but they hit quickly and a ripose or backstab is going to do the damage of a much larger weapon. The Bandit's Knife and Priscilla' Dagger both have bleeding effects on them, which can be quite deadly combined with their high speed. Daggers can be very useful backup weapons for the right builds, but you might be in trouble if they're all you've got.

Fist weapons and whips? Hah. Don't even bother.
    GTP_Zodicus
    Regular
    Regular

Post by GTP_Zodicus Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:51 am

quick note i was wrong on the devine damage modifier its 110% not 120%

If you want to go with a int build at some point magic and enchanted work like devine and accult. magic will lower regular scaling and add int scaling, then enchanted will lower it some more and add better int scaling. ( i might have that backwards, enchanted might be first them magic?)
    GTP_Zodicus
    Regular
    Regular

Post by GTP_Zodicus Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:30 pm

BloodBlade22 wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone! The explanation of weapon upgrades answered many questions I have been having- thanks alot for that zodicus.

I believe that i went with the sunlight straite sword on my pld build because it ended up with more damage than the long sword and it has the same move set. Also when taken down the devine path its better than astoris sword (the one in vally of the drakes)and even more so when made accult. its easy to get early on, just kill knight solaire hes not that hard, he is a bit fast so really low lvl might suck but get a fw upgrades in and he shouldnt be too hard. Bouns you get his armor and shield, the shield i love and still use on my pally.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:34 pm

@op, my main character on Xbox is similar to the idea you're going after. I started pure PvE and was planning to just upgrade it forever, which I'm still doing. To give you an idea how long it takes he is sl 455 after over 1,000 hours on him. He's about NG+95 or so. Levels now cost about 2.8 million souls, so I get a little more than 1 level per playthrough.

Just in case you think you may want to do PvP in the future on this character I'd plan him as an sl 200 for the time being; once you get to 200 if you're still going strong then just keep on keeping on, but you can have 50 vit, 40 end, 50 str (if you want to 1-hand the biggest weapons, otherwise 40 is a good stopping point), 40 dex, 50 faith, and 5 or 6 attunement slots at sl 200 and keep the character viable for the Arena, while still having access to all weapons in the game.

If you do keep leveling him up, like I did, you'll still be able to get plenty of PvP whenever you want it just by going human.

It's also handy to have an uber-character at NG+infinity so you can test builds with it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 9:30 pm