Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
6 posters

Heads are Rolling............ I Guess?

Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Heads are Rolling............ I Guess? Empty Heads are Rolling............ I Guess?

Post by Dark Spirit EliteBiker20 Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:32 pm

I noticed something a little bit ago when I was facing the chained mini boss in near the Chasm of the Abyss. The statues that are lining the hall where you fight him are all headless. These are not the only ones either. Some other statues around Oolacile are headless as well.

Why are they headless? Does it have something to do with the residents having bloat heads?
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Heads are Rolling............ I Guess? Empty Re: Heads are Rolling............ I Guess?

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:52 pm

noticed this too... and its not most of them, all of them that i've found have had their heads removed, also most seem to be carrying ivory catalysts
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Heads are Rolling............ I Guess? Empty Re: Heads are Rolling............ I Guess?

Post by StockpileThomas Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:08 pm

Maybe there was a revolt and the peasants or resistance lopped off the heads. In history, statues of leaders would be defaced after they were dethroned.
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:10 pm

The head of an Oolacile resident whose
    humanity went wild after being devoured
    by the Dark of manus, father of the Abyss.

The bloated head is fissured, the cracks
    lined with innumerable tiny red eyeballs
    with a hard outside and mucous-filled
    inside, no sane person could ever wear it.

It has something to do with insanity.

Also Manus warped their (the citizens of Oolacile) humanity and made them insane says the wiki.

If I went crazy I would've want to remove my head at some point too.

Last edited by TheBigLebowski on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dark Spirit EliteBiker20 Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:11 pm

StockpileThomas wrote:Maybe there was a revolt and the peasants or resistance lopped off the heads. In history, statues of leaders would be defaced after they were dethroned.

Interesting thought, but that would mean that all of those statues were rulers of Oolacile. That doesnt seem to fit. Plus, I would imagine that all of them were not mages, even though Oolacile has a history of Dark Magic.
    Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dark Spirit EliteBiker20 Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:13 pm

TheBigLebowski wrote:The head of an Oolacile resident whose
    humanity went wild after being devoured
    by the Dark of manus, father of the Abyss.

The bloated head is fissured, the cracks
    lined with innumerable tiny red eyeballs
    with a hard outside and mucous-filled
    inside, no sane person could ever wear it.
    It has something to do with insanity.

Hmmmmmm......... This sounds like it could answer my questions. But then that means the other statues that are not near the Abyss would of had to be residents that were attacked by Manus. Does that mean that Manus ruled Oolacile before?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:15 pm

You also have to consider that they might not necessarily have had their heads removed, but may have been intentionally sculpted without heads. A lot of sculpture, especially ancient symbolic sculpture, was done without heads. The Greek Winged Nike for example, were universal symbols of victory all the way through the Roman Empire and they never had heads. A lot of ancient Roman statuaries don't have a single head in sight. It could just be that the Oolicile sculptors were symbolically articulating something unrelated. Or maybe one of From's designers researched ancient sculpture to try to decide how to decorate Oolicile and came across a bunch of Greco/Roman stuff.

There's actually a lot of design in Dark Souls that pretty accurately shows influences of Greco/Roman art. I was actually just noticing last night that the interior of the cathedral in Anor Londo, where you fight O&S, is almost a flawless representation of early Christian Basilica's in the Roman era. All the architecture is almost exactly the way it would have been. At least in the front of the cathedral. All the back hallways and stuff were usually different with each different cathedral, but there are a lot of defining elements in the main chapel room that are the same.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:43 am; edited 3 times in total
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:22 pm

many Roman statues are headless because they made the statues that way deliberately, so when a person lost their fame or honor they could detach it and put on a new head. No joke.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:25 pm

That's actually true also. Not necessarily just for that reason either. The emperors all liked to include themselves in the religious artworks, thus including themselves in theology, so they'd remove the heads of the depictions of the previous emperors and have their own heads attached to replace them.
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:30 pm

They also did it with gods statues. Hadrian once removed Apollo's head and replaced it. Haha.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:30 pm

Art History student Lebowski? Me too
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:32 pm

Only the history part ;-)
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:37 pm

Well you see back in...Damnit, I like it better when I'm the only one who knows about history!

And a student of it? Now you probably know more than me, this sucks.

Well uh, perhaps in reference to artwork that depicted early saint like beings as having a glowing light instead of their head, it...

Damn you people, I'm so angry I should give you each a +1 for this discovery! But I can't anymore today.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:44 pm

haha. I knew when I was writing out my first comment that I'd probably be racing a couple other people to point that out.

It's actually been a pretty cool thing to be aware of while playing Dark Souls. It's got me convinced that at least somebody on From's design team was an art history student. A lot of the references I've noticed have been really obscure things that I never would have noticed otherwise. The complexity of this game is pretty mind blowing.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:45 pm

Don't get me started on the numerology present in Anor Londo. Sometimes noticing these things drives me a bit insane.

Such as how my game stopped working just as I was finishing up my album containing every single piece of artwork found inside of Dark Souls. I only got to like 500 images.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:51 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see some numerological allegory in AL. I'm actually studying some of that this semester, well just medieval architecture in general, but it's packed with stuff like that, and some of it so subtle and complex it's just baffling for me as a relatively right brained person.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:55 pm

Well if you want your head to explode. Go to the room with the painting of Airamis. Look at the glass windows and counter what symbols appear in fours, and threes. Then looked at the architecture around Anor Londo. Then go insane.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:41 pm

So as not to completely hijack this thread I'm creating another one to continue talking about this.
    Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Dark Spirit EliteBiker20
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dark Spirit EliteBiker20 Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:05 pm

sad I have been hijacked......... sad

Lol, just kidding...... I dont really care. Feel free to continue this. Atleast my idea sparked a series of new ideas.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:09 pm

If you're interested check out what Tolvo's talking about. It's in the process of blowing my mind as we speak
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:32 am

Tolvo wrote:
    And a student of it? Now you probably know more than me, this sucks.

Student? I am 32, I graduated from university a long time ago lol. Major in history. It comes in handy with games like this, ahum. winking

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:03 am