Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
RAITIR
BartholomewWenceslas
vatar5
Tolvo
Mr. Tart
Glutebrah
Bcc17
tinypantha
PlasticandRage
Maneater_Mildred
BIG TIME MASTER
15 posters

Dogs- Advice or Opinions

BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Dogs- Advice or Opinions Empty Dogs- Advice or Opinions

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:45 am

I'll have the opportunity to get a dog soon, anybody have a preferred breed? And why.

I'll be living in Colorado where it's cold.

House dogs don't count!
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Dogs- Advice or Opinions Empty Re: Dogs- Advice or Opinions

Post by Maneater_Mildred Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:56 am

Husky, smart friendly dogs & their eyes are so cool.

Or Irish wolf hound.... Like who wouldn't want a wolf hound.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Pit's are great. The whole pit stigma is really unfair and completely not founded in truth. You can raise any dog to be a jerk the same way you can raise any dog to be a sweet heart. They're notoriously loyal breeds too. I read somewhere that they're one of the few breeds of dog that'll die for their owner if need be, like if you were getting attacked by a bigger animal, like a bear or something, most dogs would run away, a pit would fight for you to the death. All the ones I've ever had have all had fun little personality quirks too. My current one likes to drag blankets around the house like Linus. They do get a little cold outside in winter though. Doesn't mean you can't play with them in snow or anything like that, but they can't handle the cold like a longer hair dog might be able to. St. Bernards are fun dogs too, if you can facilitate a larger dog.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    tinypantha
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Not a big dog person (knowing alot about them kinda person i am not) But i prefer the Australian Shepard breed because of child hood memories and also bc they choose one person and never leave that person.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:20 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:Pit's are great. The whole pit stigma is really unfair and completely not founded in truth. You can raise any dog to be a jerk the same way you can raise any dog to be a sweet heart. They're notoriously loyal breeds too. I read somewhere that they're one of the few breeds of dog that'll die for their owner if need be, like if you were getting attacked by a bigger animal, like a bear or something, most dogs would run away, a pit would fight for you to the death. All the ones I've ever had have all had fun little personality quirks too. My current one likes to drag blankets around the house like Linus. They do get a little cold outside in winter though. Doesn't mean you can't play with them in snow or anything like that, but they can't handle the cold like a longer hair dog might be able to. St. Bernards are fun dogs too, if you can facilitate a larger dog.

I've heard a lot of people say similar things about them. Seem like good dogs.

Easy to train?
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:23 pm

I LOVE Huskies.

I'll probably just end up getting a dog that is available and needs a home, but I like to hear about different types I haven't met before.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:31 pm

That's a good way of looking at it. Adopting rescues is always a good thing to do. I try to do it myself when I'm looking for a dog. Just make sure you get something you know you can handle if you do that. Displacing a dog more times than it needs to be displaced can be worse for the dog in the long run, like if you get one then decide you can't handle it and bring it back.

Pits are and aren't easy to train. They can be really obscenely awful when they're in their adolescent stage, like when they're not quite a puppy anymore or an adult dog. A lot of dogs go through misbehaving stages around that age, but the difference between a lot of other breeds and pits is that pits are really really strong animals. I had one that dragged my washing machine, don't ask me how, I was at work at the time, out of the corner of my laundry room, and out into the hallway. Still not sure how she did that. A cage for when you're not around solves problems like that when you're still teaching them, but I can't stand doing it, it breaks my heart every single time, so I don't if I can avoid it. Outside of that stuff, which you do get with most breeds anyway, they do learn fast. The one I have now is one of the most obedient dogs I've ever had. I walk her in the city without a leash. Taught her to sit down at curbs and wait for me if she gets ahead of me. She won't cross streets unless I'm standing next to her and say 'okay.' I also taught her to bark the syllables of 'thank you' when I say 'say thank you' to impress a girl that works at a shop I go to for coffee every morning. She always gives her treats from behind the counter, so that's my cue to say 'say thank you.'
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Brilliant!

Some dogs I have known were so smart that if they started speaking to me I wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks for the informative post!

Why do people displace dogs? Can't afford to feed them or what?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Well I've known a couple different people that've decided they wanted a dog because they're cute, and then realized how much responsibility it is and just decided it's been too much for them to handle. It really is like having a child in some ways. It's so rewarding if you're really ready for it though. My dog is absolutely my best friend. She hikes with me, insures that I get out of the house for walks everyday. She's there for me on bad days, and totally knows when I'm having them and reacts to it. It's constant loving companionship. My dog now was actually passed around quite a bit before she ended up with me. She was severely abused as a puppy, then rescued and adopted out to another person who ended up being an abuser, then rescued by myself, then adopted by a friend of mine, because I had another dog at the time and couldn't take her, then when they decided it was too much responsibility I eventually adopted her. It's crazy what some dogs go through with shelter adoption. Always a good place to go to adopt a dog. You never know what you could be saving one from.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:22 pm

It's a shame how little compassion people can have for a living creature.

How somebody could want to hurt a dog is beyond me. They way people just give up on something because it is more difficult than they expect is a shame too. I've grown up with dogs in the family, and while I wasn't buying their chow, it never struck me that they were anything other than an utter joy to have around.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:25 pm

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I don't understand it either
    Bcc17
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bcc17 Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:27 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:Pit's are great. The whole pit stigma is really unfair and completely not founded in truth. You can raise any dog to be a jerk the same way you can raise any dog to be a sweet heart. They're notoriously loyal breeds too. I read somewhere that they're one of the few breeds of dog that'll die for their owner if need be, like if you were getting attacked by a bigger animal, like a bear or something, most dogs would run away, a pit would fight for you to the death. All the ones I've ever had have all had fun little personality quirks too. My current one likes to drag blankets around the house like Linus. They do get a little cold outside in winter though. Doesn't mean you can't play with them in snow or anything like that, but they can't handle the cold like a longer hair dog might be able to. St. Bernards are fun dogs too, if you can facilitate a larger dog.

This is true, I have a Pit, best dog ever.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Dogs- Advice or Opinions Husky

I think this guy would be the perfect companion in CO.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Huskies, in a way, remand me of tigers. They just seem so powerful, and so aware of it, and well composed. Kind of regal, almost, but in a feral way. They're just awesome animals.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:36 pm

If you're living up in the mountains a long hair dog is probably preferable.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Dogs- Advice or Opinions MVC_380S

What guy wouldn't want such a macho companion? If I had a pitbull, I would name him Solaire.

You are right though, if I had this guy in CO I would have to put him in one of those tacky dog sweaters. I know this tough guy/gal wouldn't be too happy about that.
    Bcc17
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bcc17 Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:57 pm

My Pit loves to wear clothes lol
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:59 pm

I don't think I could stomach trying to put clothes on mine. Although I do occasionally attempt the whole sunglasses thing.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Bcc17 wrote:My Pit loves to wear clothes lol

It's funny how different dogs have different personalities. You put anything on my labs growing up and they had to pull it off immediately.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:15 pm

Actually come to think of it I do put bandanas on mine occasionally and she doesn't seem to mind them. I like to think it's because she's a lady, and ladies like to be pretty.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Haha, and some ladies I know like to kill armadillos, eat wasp, and steal their mans' food.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 pm

you can train any dog to love anything and act any way you want. get a dog that matches your energy level, you don't want a dog that can't keep up with your active life style, you also don't want a dog that you can't properly exercise and keep up with his energy.

Last edited by Glutebrah on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Haha. Good point. Mine definitely will never learn that live bees aren't a good thing to put in your mouth

^ That's a really good thing to consider also. If you're not a really active person you probably don't want a bigger dog, just because they require a lot of running around to stay healthy.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:42 pm

Collies. Mainly because i grew up with them.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Spoiler:

Bask in the tiny dog!

Seriously though Rat Terriers are a bit of a hassle, they need constant attention and are super hyper sometimes. They need a lot of space to run around. But they are super cute.

Also oddly enough my dog can put the sweaters on himself. Though for Halloween we once got a lobster costume and tried it on him. He got so sad we returned it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:10 pm