Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Knight Alundil
Carphil
Uparkaam
IV_Mark_VI
RANT
mugenis4real
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
PlasticandRage
T-King-667
13 posters

The point of the knight shield?

RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

The point of the knight shield? - Page 2 Empty Re: The point of the knight shield?

Post by RANT Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:15 pm

morningstar is awesome, done forget since it has bleed it makes the asylum demon a lot easier.
    the res of the shields have pros like mentioned above too and some of them look prett awesome.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

The point of the knight shield? - Page 2 Empty Re: The point of the knight shield?

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:39 pm

If you can find a point to all those weapons and shields, but can't for the Knight Shield, then I... can't correlate that data.

Just baffling.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:44 pm

All those weapons are good for their own unique reasons. Depending on style of play and situation any weapon can be the most effective tool for the job, but because the Knight Shield's stats are trumped by several other shields of the same class, that function the exact same way, it won't, IMO, ever be the best tool for the job.

Just to clarify, ascetics are generally important to me when I set up my toon's gear, but I don't consider ascetic value to enter into my definition of best tool for the job.
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Knight Shield: ugly and heavy.

I would use ANY medium shield over this hunk of metal.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Disagree; Knight shield is a worse shield than other med. shields, but is like the A.S.S. or Crystal Weapons; its the best tool at that time. Sure there's better later on, but it can be the best option at that time due to cost or not having a hollow drop a shield.

I would place it's usefulness higher than crystal weapons as it's free.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:50 pm

i kinda like that not every item in Dark Souls that you find is as good as every other item. you have to work with what you have and if the knight shield is the best that you have, then that's what you use until you find something that you like better. it's sort of in the nature of role playing games isn't it?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:01 pm

I don't know. The wooden shield is pretty easy to find, and 1,000 souls isn't too too hard to come by early. I'd argue the use of either of those over the knight's shield at that point in the game, and that's only assuming that you haven't yet gotten a balder or hollow shield at that point, and usually you do. Or at least usually I do.

Or that you haven't chosen a starting class that begins with a better shield
    The Wandering Knight
    The Wandering Knight
    Casual
    Casual

Post by The Wandering Knight Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:53 pm

i like the look of it with plate armour. so i use it a lot.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:19 pm

I think that for PVE, 2/3 points in wheight don't count so much. And you don't really bother about upgrading shields until mid game. Personally I've only used upgraded shields for PVP.

Saying that the Knight shield has no purpose in game, or the broken sword or sword hilt, whatever, is like saying that this game should have only subjectively "good" weapons.

So what are we waiting for? just remove every weapon and leave one katana and the claymore. Thats it?

What we have in this game is a huge variety of weapons and equipment that is not supposed to be underrated. Some of them works for a specific area and if used correctly, can be viable in most situations.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm not saying it shouldn't be in the game, only that I often chose other things over it. Though my first play, before I really knew what I was looking for, I carried it for a long while because it looked nice with the Elite Knight set, and because one of my stat read-outs had it showing as blue, and I didn't know that just meant it had a stronger bash attack.

I kinda like the notion that all the equipment with lesser stats and similar functions are all there to force you to be discerning. I mean outside of just finding your own stride and style, which I suppose when it all comes down to it that's always the most important thing anyway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 9:32 pm