Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
TheMeInTeam
eduardolee
Ghadis_God
GrinTwist
reim0027
skarekrow13
Rudmed
RANT
argotthar
13 posters

Forest Hunters - To help or not to help?

Poll

Do you help fellow FH when host is alone?

[ 8 ]
    Forest Hunters - To help or not to help? I_vote_lcap25%Forest Hunters - To help or not to help? I_vote_rcap [25%] 
    [ 9 ]
    Forest Hunters - To help or not to help? I_vote_lcap28%Forest Hunters - To help or not to help? I_vote_rcap [28%] 
    [ 15 ]
    Forest Hunters - To help or not to help? I_vote_lcap47%Forest Hunters - To help or not to help? I_vote_rcap [47%] 

Total Votes: 32
    argotthar
    argotthar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Forest Hunters - To help or not to help? Empty Forest Hunters - To help or not to help?

Post by argotthar Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:37 pm

Recently there were disturbance in Force where reportedly FHs would rather wait then assist in fight against lone host. Is it true? Are we really interested only in fighting against all odds, which we embrace it dearly, but when host is alone we let morality to be our guide?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Forest Hunters - To help or not to help? Empty Re: Forest Hunters - To help or not to help?

Post by RANT Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:48 pm

when i invade and theres a hunter fighting a host alone there's three things that make me jump in right away, healing, doing nothing but bs and of course summon someone else.
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Forest Hunters - To help or not to help? Empty Re: Forest Hunters - To help or not to help?

Post by Rudmed Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Yeah if I see the host trying to pull a fast one, the gloves come off and a very angry forest hunter is charging in.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 pm

What they said. Our desire to overcome the odds is part of morality not contradictory. We seek the glory of besting an opponent that outmatches us. By jumping in when the host is alone we can't learn who was better. But like said above, the host becomes a jerk, I jump in
    argotthar
    argotthar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by argotthar Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:37 pm

Pretty much same thinking which I share too.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:11 am

Always help your fellow catbros, unless you know for a fact they are gankers or actually trying to have an honor duel.

Part of the fun is being on the edge of defeat and seeing another Catbro invade. You're like "hell yeah, here come the reinforcements, baby, prepare to DIE."
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:18 am

Well when I am in the forest I try to be as little of a ganker as possible.

Even then I agree with the statements above, you wanna 1v1 someone in the forest, fine. But I'll be there to make sure the host doesn't start playing dirty.

It's kind of funny to be honest because outside of the forest I'll try to pull almost every thing in the book on the host. Unless if I'm using the red soapstone.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:37 am

oh man!! i just love that feeling when another catbro arrives to help my *** when im beign either chased or getting my *** kicked by three guys, i can smell their fear when they hear it too.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:35 am

Oh yeah, being or receiving the cavalry is awesome
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:33 am

If the host starts doing something cheap to the hunter, I'll gank the loser. If it's a fair fight though, why should I be the tryhard rushing in to mess up someone's duel?
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:42 am

Because that's the forest. Not a place for honor duels. Cat bros vs the hosts/invaders. It is a war, IMO.
    eduardolee
    eduardolee
    Casual
    Casual

Post by eduardolee Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:11 am

Yes!im there to do my job and take out the trash by any means necessary...i only hold back when they want to duel,but i ALWAYS throw Lloyd's talismans at the host while theyre fighting,so the host cant pull any tricks.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:16 am

So more people are playing with pretend rules in the forest than the actual rules? I don't understand.

There's no logic to accepting 1v2 but then not taking advantage of 2v1, epsecially since the vast majority of them would love to have a phantom beating on you and would do it in a heartbeat.

The forest is designed with ganking in mind, on BOTH sides. If it weren't, it wouldn't be possible to have 2+ people attacking the host or host + phantom attacking the hunter. There's no honor in leaving a fellow hunter stranded; THAT is the dishonor. Helping someone kill the host is as intended.

In a pure 1v1 the lack of help wouldn't bother me so much, but most of these "honorable" hunters, in my experience, have no trouble letting the host heal, use his lag advantage, or run away constantly fishing for a chance to heal. That's not a "duel", it's "anything goes". They are witnessing dishonorable behavior from a duel standpoint, and still insist on their own fullhardy pretend rules even though the forest is not and never was a place for pure duels in the first place. How about putting an arrow through the head of of the guy drinking the flask? Better yet, how about never letting him run in the first place? If a host is running, it means he has no interest in a duel. Kill him please...or if you're actually playing by the intent of your freaking covenant, kill him ASAP!

I'm doing better in the forest though, even in 1v2. Those fire tempests are no joke against people who press just a little too much...and I carry fire storm too for a surprise 2nd go. Always fun to give a little love tap with great combustion if some gankers get knocked over!
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:38 am

TheMeInTeam wrote:So more people are playing with pretend rules in the forest than the actual rules? I don't understand.

There's no logic to accepting 1v2 but then not taking advantage of 2v1, epsecially since the vast majority of them would love to have a phantom beating on you and would do it in a heartbeat

mostly this
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:44 am

It's a warrior's mindset. Simply put, we fight in the forest for two goals:
    1. Show who's best

2. Improve our fighting technique

While I won't condemn people for following the "covenant rules" (see below), me taking out a host who's fighting honorably might help out the other blue but I lose out on who is best in that scenario. I also don't improve which is a bigger loss in my opinion.

I agree with you though that once a host heals/summons/runs or even uses a gesture I don't like I will destroy them.

As for the intent of the forest the game mechanics allow for ganks but so do most covenants or areas, the forest just has the worst reputation. From a lore standpoint the covenant exists to make sure that a worthy successor to Artorias is found and that no one gets to the grave unchallenged. So the "attack on sight" mentality would only really apply to someone making a beeline for Sif. Host duelists and gankers are there for another purpose and aren't a threat to Sif so the Covenanty thing to do would be to Black Crystal out and wait try to get summoned to someone's world who is trying to fight the she wolf.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:06 pm

if it is a 1v1 i just stand back and throw lloyd's tailsmans at the host to ensure he doesn't heal with a estus.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:09 pm

As for the intent of the forest the game mechanics allow for ganks but so do most covenants or areas, the forest just has the worst reputation.

All the more reason to treat it like most play it; anything goes. Let it live up to its reputation; a chaotic gankfest with cat and mouse from both sides, traps from hosts/overmatched hunters, taunts, and any other unsavory tactic imaginable. Even as a newbie, I've gravitated to the forest because of its reputation as such. I don't want anybody pulling any kind of punches at all.

There are quite a few places with better reputations where people looking for real duels don't have to carefully evaluate each situation just to see if they can turn the scenario into something it isn't.

A red soapstone usage is a situation where a 1v1 duel is honorable. So is the arena. But the FOREST? Heck no.

My personal preference in the forest is actually 2v2 though, especially when other people have awareness and are willing to switch targets for surprise attacks. There's a larger strategy element there than can be attained normally in this game...but it does usually rely on me hiding until help arrives or rushing to help someone else before he gets offed.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Depends on if they are dueling or not. If it seems like a duel, I step back and watch. If it seems like a survival fight, I'll jump in if it looks like the hunter needs help.
    argotthar
    argotthar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by argotthar Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:25 pm

We can debate forever trying to explain our personal motives or whole idea about how Forest should be played but there is a simple fact - In Forest there is no pattern to follow, there is no logic behind some decisions and for certain there should be no expectations whatsoever. That makes Forest what it is and that's a reason why we love it.

As Rant said, it's great when cavalry kicks in but in the very next fight one may think "why the hell this one messing up my fight"... And that's how it goes, damn I love Forest :-)
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:36 pm

The only thing that will get me to quit the forest in this game is if another area is even more chaotic.

I don't like when the game gives me lower level players in 1v1s though. Yes, it's easy to tag someone with 2 great combustions or even just fire surge them to death because they can't realistically stagger me before they die, but it isn't exciting.
    Lord of Ash
    Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 pm

As fh we must teach them not to enter the forest (unless they want to trade eith me)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:49 am