Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
russiannightmare
RANT
Rudmed
PaladinManFace
8 posters

A mechanic to boost heavy strength weapons/two handed

PaladinManFace
    Casual
    Casual

A mechanic to boost heavy strength weapons/two handed Empty A mechanic to boost heavy strength weapons/two handed

Post by PaladinManFace Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:58 am

In many cases using a great axe or grat hammer etc. can get very boring and predictible expecially in pvp. To make matters worse some weapons like Smoughs hammer and demon great machette have terrible R2 attacks so you basicly have just one, slow, easy to evade, stamina draining attack in R1. Weapons like these are usually 2 handed to begin with. While two handing a weapon what happens when you press L1, you block. Now, what happens when you press L2...........block again. I feel when two handing weapons designed to be held with both hands L2 should be a quicker lower damaging attack. The great hammers and great axes could have a quick swing with the butt of there handle. The halberds could have a jump back/horizontal swing attack. Great swords could do something where they hold on to the blade and go in with the handle. You see my point. It would make said weapons more flexible.

Another problem with heavy weapons is the ease in which they can be parried. Not only does swinging leave you open to a backstab you could get parried aswell, how fun. Simple solution they shouldn't be able to be parried. Think about it. Can you flick 30 pounds of iron away with your delicate wrist and a parrying knife? Even with a shield the best you could do would be to get your arm broken instead of your face. Im not saying they can't be blocked, just you shouldn't be able to parry them. Where would it cut off be? I feel like only: ultra great swords, great axes, and great hammers would qualify for the non parry perk.

Let me know if you agree.
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

A mechanic to boost heavy strength weapons/two handed Empty Re: A mechanic to boost heavy strength weapons/two handed

Post by Rudmed Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:03 pm

As an ultra user I like the idea of no parrying, but that would remove a weakness to using them. It might make them more useful, but then again it may make them broke OP. Just imagine not being able to parry the BKGA before the patch. So it is a balance issue.

I do the like the idea of a less damaging quick attack with the hilt or something.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

A mechanic to boost heavy strength weapons/two handed Empty Re: A mechanic to boost heavy strength weapons/two handed

Post by RANT Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:17 pm

maybe unlock? its really hard to parry anything when you lock off, it also helps with getting bs'd since as soon as the animation of your first attack is done aim behind you and attack to counter the bs and most likely get a stunlock.
    russiannightmare
    russiannightmare
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by russiannightmare Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:37 am

I like your thought on a quick L2 attack as I love the ultra weapons but it seems I only invade people that roll BS me when using them. As for not being able to parry them I understand your complaint but it would be a balancing problem. But yes being able to parry with only your fist should be eliminated or at least the player should suffer some kind of damage even when performing a successful parry.
    PaladinManFace
    Casual
    Casual

Post by PaladinManFace Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:03 am

I guess I was just thinking that most the time your open to a backstab after a swing as well as a parry. I wasn't thinking about BKGA tho. I guess the most logical move would be to block parrying if the weapon is to slow to stunlock.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:15 am

that's a really great idea … some one should tell FROM to include that in the next Souls game. i need to have a really sweet L2-R1 combo for all my ultra heavy weapons.
    OrnsteinFanBoy
    OrnsteinFanBoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinFanBoy Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:32 am

There already is a quick attack to put your opponent off balance with every heavy weapon in the game.

It's called a kick

And getting parried is a risk you run by using big weapons, the reward is huge damage. Not being able to parry a certain class of weapons(Forget whips I know but they suck) would 100% make them unbalanced.

I mostly use haevy weapons so I understand your point of view, and it would be fun, but making big weapons able to attack quickly would create big balancing issues and make smaller weapons redundant
    PaladinManFace
    Casual
    Casual

Post by PaladinManFace Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:07 pm

I understand about the kick but I can't tell you how many times I: tried to kick someone, didn't hit the stick exactly right, did another slow retard swing, and got back stabbed. Having a L2 attack would not give the weapons some extra special power, it would give them a chance at hitting that ninja flipping guy once or twice for small damage before you get back stabbed. As I mentioned before some heavy weapons have TERRIBLE R2 attacks so in reality they only have one attack they have any chance of landing. Unless you want to noob out and put on hornets ring and only go for backstab/parries heavy weapons are comparably underpowered in pvp, and have little chance of winning by moveset on a skilled katana player.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:34 pm

actually some of the greataxes have good r2's (demon and stone, with the sweeps and the stones explosion), but yeah pommel bashes were a combat staple for large weapons, maybe make it for great clubs and ultra swords where as the great axes don't really have the handle type for that sort of thing, maybe just give them better blocking ability...
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:06 pm

I've tried using big weapons, but the slow attack always gets me in trouble. Even that BKGA can be predictable. I guess I'm better when I can simply evade and be patient.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:02 pm