Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+33
aceluby
StarScarJenova
Juutas
reim0027
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
CaligoIllioneus
fujiphoenix
Aznul
PlasticandRage
SecYess
aprilmanha
Odinbear
Joichiro
Marino.
tinypantha
passivefamiliar
Forum Pirate
WandererReece
Reaperfan
Tomhet
Conrack
Abiathar82
RANT
Tds
The Letter X
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Knight Alundil
Rarayn
vatar5
RedderAI
Glutebrah
Nybbles
BIG TIME MASTER
37 posters

Eliminate parry and backstab? FINISHED

Poll

Eliminate parry and backstab entirely?

[ 9 ]
    Eliminate parry and backstab? FINISHED I_vote_lcap15%Eliminate parry and backstab? FINISHED I_vote_rcap [15%] 
    [ 52 ]
    Eliminate parry and backstab? FINISHED I_vote_lcap85%Eliminate parry and backstab? FINISHED I_vote_rcap [85%] 

Total Votes: 61
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Eliminate parry and backstab? FINISHED Empty Eliminate parry and backstab? FINISHED

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Answer the poll, and post your reason as well, but in order to keep it civil please limit yourself to one post and keep it your statement, not an argument or disagreement with a previous poster.

I for one think the game would play more appropriately and hold difficulty longer for long time players if the parry and backstab animations were removed entirely.

What say you?

Last edited by BIG TIME MASTER on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Eliminate parry and backstab? FINISHED Empty Re: Eliminate parry and backstab? FINISHED

Post by Nybbles Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:53 pm

don't eliminate parries and backstabs, eliminate lag (or at least do whatever it takes to minimize it).
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Eliminate parry and backstab? FINISHED Empty Re: Eliminate parry and backstab? FINISHED

Post by Glutebrah Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:14 pm

you would never ever ever ever win a 3v1 if you got rid of backstabs and parries.

besides spell spamming
    RedderAI
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by RedderAI Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:26 pm

I for one say keep parrys and eliminate backstabs. Implement a something that restricts backstabs to only before the battle starts. I don't know or think its possible with the way the game is but I would greatly love it.

@GluteBrah I've won a 3v1 without backstabs. It took a lot of dodging, AoE pyros, ONE lucky parry, and kick off a ledge and then a stumlocked host. It lasted a good 10+ minutes, it was also in sunny Anor Londo. I still remember that day quite merrily.

EDIT: I voted no because it's fine as is but could be better with tweaking. Taking it out entirely? Not my favorite idea.
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:31 pm

I need my backstab against Iron Boar...
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:34 pm

I've been told that backstabs were apparently a lot harder to pull off in Demon's Souls. Rather than removing them entirely, perhaps a return to the old ways would be preferable?
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Definately not. It's a mechanic of Dark Souls. If you don't like something as fundamental as backstabs and ripostes to the extent that you would prefer it removed from the game then play a different game.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:36 pm

No offense, but I think this is a horrible idea. :|
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:40 pm

I don't see a reason for them NOT to be in the game.
    Tds

Post by Tds Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:43 pm

I think the best fix would be: you can only be backstabbed if you are using an item/flask or casting a spell. That would punish players appropriately and no one would cry fowl play. Being backstabbed in the middle of a fight is counter intuitive and infuriating if your opponent is dead angling you.

Parries are harder to approach in terms of balancing.

This is only for pvp. Pve is fine as is

Last edited by Tds on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Tds wrote:I think the best fix would be: you can only be backstabbed if you are using an item/flask or casting a spell. That would punish players appropriately and no one would cry fowl play. Being backstabbed in the middle of a fight is counter intuitive and infuriating if your opponent is dead angling you.

Parries are harder to approach in terms of balancing.

This is only for pvp. Pve is fine as is

that's actually a really good idea imo, it should be a counter, in my mind i see backstabs should work like the leo ring does.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:01 pm

I voted yes to remove them , because of how Backstabs are used currently. I dont really have a problem with parries as parrying takes a little more skill. Backstab fishers just feed off lag and requires very little skill :x. You can generally win with just 2 BSs , it is way too overpowered and way way WAY!!! too overused. To me Backstab ruins PVP , as it is completely impractical in a real fight. I do not PVP a lot , but I have only been parried in maybe 10% of my fights probably less. Backstabs however are probably over 50%. I am sure most of you have the same experience as me. Backstab = Sh!+ simple as that , Overpowered/Overused and a weak way to win a fight.
    Conrack
    Conrack
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Conrack Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:19 pm

My vote for no is based on how they are implemented in game, more often than not invaders have no intention of fighting you they would rather back stab you contiously until you die.

My feelings on Backstabs: These should be restricted to one handed small to medium weapons as a means of fight; Tanks, Phalanxers, and people who cower behind the greatshield and hope to WotG you. Heavy weapons should NOT be able to use them against other players as 99% of them do high enough damage already, plus with the nerf to the greatsword swing speed they are more than fair.

Parry and riposte: once again Medium and small weapons, but this is more versitile against a larger percentage of players because its more risk for more reward. though I dont feel that Ultra large greatswords should be parryable, regular greatsword should be but only with a medium shield, as a light shield would be preposterous.

Last edited by Conrack on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tomhet
    Tomhet
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tomhet Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Ridiculous idea if you ask me.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 pm

If it was possible to eliminate lag, then I'd say it's fine as it is. However, lag is inherent to online games, and even if they are able to cut down on it, it will never be able to be removed completely because it just the nature of the beast.

If I had to change anything, I'd say simply revert the backstab hitbox to what it was in Demon's Souls. To those who didn't play Demon's Souls, basically make it so that you have to be completely and perfectly square behind their back to pull it off, as opposed to the "I'm a little bit around their shoulder" hitbox that we have now. This would simply make backstabs less consistently doable, and so, less exploitable.

Parries should stay the same, nothing wrong with them.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:58 pm

I think it's fine the way it is. The only problem is chain BS. They should make it impossible to backstab during a "get up" animation. That should remove the problem.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:00 pm

2 for 2 today reaper, I agree.

It is impossible to bs during the get up animation, they cant bs you unless you interrupt it by hitting a button.
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Parry is fine. No question. If someone hits a parry they earned it. Backstab. Needs major tweaking. The "hitbox" to land a backstab is ridiculously huge.
    tinypantha
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Maybe do the following:
    pierce weapons= BackStab
    Greatsword, and ultras= Cripple; causing the player to move slower for a small duration (immune to more Bs's)dmgclubs= More of a cripple (still immune) dmgDaggers= high Bleed hollow theif throat slit? (focuses on bleed more then dmg) dmgCurved Swords= Execution style backstab= dmgregular

ALL OF THE ABOVE STILL DO DAMAGE BUT CRIPPLE BS DOES MINIMAL DMG equal to regular attack
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:13 pm

tinypantha wrote:Maybe do the following:
    pierce weapons= BackStab
    Greatsword, and ultras= Cripple; causing the player to move slower for a small duration (immune to more Bs's)dmgclubs= More of a cripple (still immune) dmgDaggers= high Bleed hollow theif throat slit? (focuses on bleed more then dmg) dmgCurved Swords= Execution style backstab= dmgregular

ALL OF THE ABOVE STILL DO DAMAGE BUT CRIPPLE BS DOES MINIMAL DMG equal to regular attack

This has already been suggested before and I believe it merits further investigation. The problem, however, is that by implementing such changes you run the risk of fixing one problem but creating 2 more.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:19 pm

or 9 or 13 or 37. As powerful as they are, no current cpu can replicate the actual intensity and range of choice of real hand to hand combat. Overcomplicating things could strain the system and create any number of glitches or lag exploits, not to mention the issue of balancing.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:22 pm

No doubt. If it could be balanced/perfected it would be the way to go, no question. The problem, however, is could it ever be balanced? Shrug
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:37 pm

I'd accept ug weapons being unable to bs actually, (though even irl it could be done, just with a different animation) but only if they can't be parried.

One can 0hko bs without a ug weapon, but it takes more focus and tends to cost base damage. Thats an acceptable trade imo.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:42 pm

I like the Idea of Backstabs being a counter .

It would makes more sense than it does now (really now, who just freezes in place and takes it?)

And yay Forum Pirate is back cheers
    Joichiro
    Joichiro
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Joichiro Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Just eliminate the Bs, keep the parrys and put a damage bonus on the attacks that hit in the back.

or eliminate the lag...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:24 pm