Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
The Letter X
Nybbles
FruitPunchNinja
Manahscarlet
Forum Pirate
RANT
PlasticandRage
Juutas
RedderAI
chaosrave
14 posters

fighting vs spears

chaosrave
    chaosrave
    Regular
    Regular

fighting vs spears Empty fighting vs spears

Post by chaosrave Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:36 am

Ive been having the worst time fighting against the silver knight spear and the dragon slayer spear... i have the obsidian greatsword and fast roll... any advice? ive been trying to roll in and parry but the smart ones will roll away and keep spamming r1 again... im thinking using a bow with poison arrows or something? anyone have a good tactic against these guys?
    RedderAI
    Addicted
    Addicted

fighting vs spears Empty Re: fighting vs spears

Post by RedderAI Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:41 am

chaosrave wrote:Ive been having the worst time fighting against the silver knight spear and the dragon slayer spear... i have the obsidian greatsword and fast roll... any advice? ive been trying to roll in and parry but the smart ones will roll away and keep spamming r1 again... im thinking using a bow with poison arrows or something? anyone have a good tactic against these guys?

Out-range him! I always keep a bow on my character. Comes in handy for a lot of things. Also you can pretty much use any long range tactic too. Spears aren't to hard to deal with but I have fought some pros who know why they're doing.

Btw if they see a bow they might switch tactics, so keep that in mind.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:40 pm

Just backstab fish them, they deserve no mercy and they know it.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:05 pm

One of my more successful PvP builds is a dragon spear GS turtler, and the things that I generally have to look out for the most are bleed/toxin, I've been killed by poop throwers a couple of times, toxining me then waiting for me to cure myself and getting inside my defenses. Force type spells can be effective also, WoG, Force, and Dragon Roars, because they stagger me and can also get inside my defenses. You could also always just learn to parry spears. It's not super easy but can be done. The few people I've fought that have really just taken me apart have parried me. Combustion type spells can work well also.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:18 pm

I say chain bs there ***, if they wanna be annoying then you should be more annoying! Or you could try a spear too.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm

I always keep a spear on hand specifically to deal with spear users.

If you're against that or can't use one with your build, I'd flee and ambush them (and by ambush I mean 0hko) when they follow.
    Manahscarlet
    Manahscarlet

Post by Manahscarlet Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Spears to me are an iffy issue, I use one but only cause I can get it early, I'm more of a greatsword user myself, but for fighting them I tend to rely on the fact that they either like to chase and stab or turtle and back away from me, its actually far easier to kill the chasers because they either 'overextend' themselves and leave themselves wide open or they just run out of stamina before me. The turtles though you gotta watch out for
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Use a spear,Poison Arrows,Poop,Roll Bs with DWGR,Black Flame/GC,Parry(which i find very difficult against spear users with DWGR who just do 1 R1 and flip). Using a spear, or inflicting them with poison/toxin has been the most successful for me. Some spam r1, and if you have enough poise you can do the tank 1 hit then parry technique.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:42 pm

turtle in return, do nothing but block every single one of their attacks…bore them into giving up
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:43 pm

^ yea to be honest i can't talk badly about spear users because i almost always use a rapier/estoc with my dex builds. Estoc is such a good weapon.
    Manahscarlet
    Manahscarlet

Post by Manahscarlet Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Nybbles wrote:turtle in return, do nothing but block every single one of their attacks…bore them into giving up
    That works with most spears, but usually those that wield the dragonslayer almost always have faith spells to back them up, making turtling kinda usless...
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:51 pm

If you're an int build, use the mlbh, it will out chip the dss so you'll probably win the turtle war, roll bs them if they go for a wog.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:02 pm

Sprint while blocking. When you get close enough to them, they will try to roll away. When they do, attack. Catch them in the middle of their roll for counter damage and for follow up attacks.

If they don't try to roll away, you should be in a good position to pivot-BS them.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:51 am

You can also push their stamina. They might want to poke + roll but they'll be behind in stamina if they blocked an attack, attacked themselves, and then rolled away. Press that and you have a good chance at inflicting more damage than them.

Wearing on turtles with spells/status is obviously very effective too.
    Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Infighter Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:53 am

Be aggressive, poise through all their hits like a man mash R1 win the fight.
    Lord of Ash
    Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:22 am

I my self am a spear user the cure is simple getem to roll and attack from a distance oh quik feet dont hurt either
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:01 pm

RantFromRant wrote:I say chain bs there ***, if they wanna be annoying then you should be more annoying! Or you could try a spear too.

Part of what I like so much about my dragon turtler is that the way I set the build up I don't really have to let people BS me. This is the build I keep hinting at during our other conversations about BSes. Because it's set up around Havel's GS, which doesn't really let any damage in at all, and the dragon roar/pike moveset, it really shines being used for attrition. I sorta just wait for my opponent to get frustrated and then piece them apart a little at a time. When they move in to BS fish, I back pedal, when they flip towards me, I flip backwards. I don't even bother attacking until I know I can stagger with an uninterrupted roar and then follow it up. I've fights that have lasted for hours before, because the pike doesn't do a huge amount of damage at high levels, even when buffed with the roar, but the only reason I've ever gotten BSed with it is when I get impatient. Any spear user worth his salt can say the same I'd think.

Just for the record this isn't my usual PvP tactic. I made it directly in response to a long night of Japanese lag BS fishing.
    VaanVoid
    VaanVoid

Location : Firelink Shirne, trying to assure the firekeeper that talking isn't a bad thing!

Post by VaanVoid Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:03 pm

I've acually found a simple way to defeat those who use the "spear", I call it the run and parry. You simply run straight towards them and instead of attacking them and or rolling, hit the parry instantley (When you are close enough), this works real well because most spear users attack whenever the thier opponet comes within range. I can't tell how much this has worked for me!!
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:10 pm

VaanVoid wrote:I've acually found a simple way to defeat those who use the "spear", I call it the run and parry. You simply run straight towards them and instead of attacking them and or rolling, hit the parry instantley (When you are close enough), this works real well because most spear users attack whenever the thier opponet comes within range. I can't tell how much this has worked for me!!

Works against bad players yes, but good players will just kick you and after that roll away or follow up attack AND if they are using Leo it's a hit you can't afford to take. Luckily most of the spear users just suck.
    VaanVoid
    VaanVoid

Location : Firelink Shirne, trying to assure the firekeeper that talking isn't a bad thing!

Post by VaanVoid Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:23 pm

I agree Juutas, but I'm not saying parry spam and keep running towards them and keep trying to parry them, it just works for that one shot, it is very useful though
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:29 pm

and thats assuming they don't just torch you with a gc or db, just try to parry that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:27 am