Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
Back Lot Basher
Nybbles
BIG TIME MASTER
Everynevers
Glutebrah
Automancer
raecor14
sekkate
PlasticandRage
BLA1NE
The Letter X
AzureCrow
Jester's Tears
BeeSeaEss
Carphil
Abiathar82
20 posters

If you could change one thing in DKS?

BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

If you could change one thing in DKS? - Page 2 Empty Re: If you could change one thing in DKS?

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:27 am

Fade-able HUD.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

If you could change one thing in DKS? - Page 2 Empty Re: If you could change one thing in DKS?

Post by Nybbles Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:29 pm

move the back stab hit box to you know the back, instead of the shoulder, and make it so you can evade a fisher by rolling.
    Jester's Tears
    Jester's Tears
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jester's Tears Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:16 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:Fade-able HUD.

Fade-able HUD? You can remove it, Ya know.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Jester's Tears wrote:

I want it to fade, so that it appears when I need it and then disappears. Fighting without it is hard if you are using any consumables or miracles, but having it off in between combat really shows off the graphics better.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Jester's Tears wrote:

You know you lose the lock-on indicator when the HUD is off, right? I like Big Time's idea for a fading hud.

If I had to choose one thing to change, it would be that we have servers like Demon's Souls used to have. No-fail summoning, and easy to find your friends.
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Hard to pick ONE THING. But. As an easy fix i would agree to remove backstabs. Outright. Gone. No more abuse. No disadvantage. Riposte/parry stays. But backstabs being removed would make the game better, it ruins pvE as much as pvp. Simply due to abuse. I would miss it. But i'd move one. Next souls game i would be happy if it was just not there.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:03 pm

[quote="passivefamiliar" i would agree to remove backstabs. Outright. Gone. No more abuse. No disadvantage. Riposte/parry stays. But backstabs being removed would make the game better, it ruins pvE as much as pvp. Simply due to abuse. .[/quote]

I'd never really thought about it before, but you're right...I personally abuse this in PvE like you said. Why bother facing the big Barbarians in Blighttown head on, when you can just circle and backstab. At least parrying takes some timing skill.
    justwant2play
    justwant2play
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by justwant2play Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Dragon covenant people can invade hosts.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:32 pm

BLA1NE wrote:As much as I hate getting lagstabbed, the backstab mechanic serves an important role in the game--even (or, I should say, especially) in PvP. Backstabbing is pretty much the only thing you can do against parry-spammers. (Other than my favorite offhand weapon, that is: the Notched Whip!)

What I would change about Dark Souls, is improve the lag. Also, allow a minimum of online settings, like region locking. It's great that we can play with people from all over the globe (especially for us, who are part of a community of people from all over the world, and we like to get together for co-op or events), but more often than not I DO NOT want to play against Japanese players. It's nothing racist, it's just that they're on the other side of the planet, so obviously the lag is going to be terrible! It's marvelous, technologically, that we can even play with someone on the other side of the globe, but I'd like the option to turn it off and on at will, to improve latency.
    Why the *** was this DOWNREPPED?
    bunnywink
    bunnywink
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning!

Post by bunnywink Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:38 pm

It would be nice to have some sort of party system for multiplayer. Sometimes establishing a connection takes forever for co-op. It's really hit or miss.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:31 pm

BLA1NE wrote:
    BLA1NE wrote:As much as I hate getting lagstabbed, the backstab mechanic serves an important role in the game--even (or, I should say, especially) in PvP. Backstabbing is pretty much the only thing you can do against parry-spammers. (Other than my favorite offhand weapon, that is: the Notched Whip!)

What I would change about Dark Souls, is improve the lag. Also, allow a minimum of online settings, like region locking. It's great that we can play with people from all over the globe (especially for us, who are part of a community of people from all over the world, and we like to get together for co-op or events), but more often than not I DO NOT want to play against Japanese players. It's nothing racist, it's just that they're on the other side of the planet, so obviously the lag is going to be terrible! It's marvelous, technologically, that we can even play with someone on the other side of the globe, but I'd like the option to turn it off and on at will, to improve latency.

Because people like lag? Who knows , it was probably a Hipster winking. In anycase I bumped you back up since I thought it was a good idea.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 pm

BLA1NE wrote:

I don't know if just straight adding regional restrictions would be a great plan. Isn't that how Demon's works? And, granted it's an older game now and not as many people play it, I'd argue that even when they did the multiplayer experience wasn't as vast as DkS's is. I've also occasionally had some really amazing duels with Japanese players. I guess, like you say, it doesn't have anything to do with where these players are coming from, only that they're far enough away to interfere with the connection. I think a good solution would be to include regional options. So that if you're having lag problems you can change your personal settings temporarily.

Oh wait, that's exactly what you said isn't it? Hahaha. Once again, my end of semester attention span is illustrating the tractor beam effect my *** is having on my head. I agree with you entirely
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Yeah, I proposed to have the option! It's one thing I dislike, that more and more options are being taken away from end users. Not just in games, but even in OSs (but that's another topic...). Is it too much to ask for a console game to have connectivity options?

@Abiathar: Thanks. I actually don't even care about my total rep (although I definitely appreciate being thanked by a +1 when I help people out), it's just that a down-vote is supposed to be more than just disagreeing with someone. Maybe someone interpreted my post in a racist way, which it wasn't at all. Whatever it is, I consider it a blemish on my reputation, and that's what I dislike... But thanks for evening out my balance!
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:59 pm

BLA1NE wrote:Yeah, I proposed to have the option! It's one thing I dislike, that more and more options are being taken away from end users. Not just in games, but even in OSs (but that's another topic...). Is it too much to ask for a console game to have connectivity options?

Yeah, again I agree. With all of that. It seems like a trend for a lot of new technology is to take a lot of options away from the user with the intent on being more 'user friendly.' When in reality it can create pretty limiting, or in this case buggy, experiences.

If it came down to it though, like if From was for some reason unwilling to do that, including either one extreme or the other, I'd support the system we have now. I think at the end of the day I've had more good experiences with foreign players than bad ones. In a way I think the language barrier can actually enhance some multiplayer experiences. For example, sometimes when I have those really incredible duels with Japanese players, I can think of a couple off the top of my head that are really manifestations of what I love so much about this game in general, the fact that afterwards you can't talk to each other about it, in my mind equates the experience to the same kind of thing as a really well executed silent protagonist in a video game. It really makes it feel like. as opposed to dealing with some 14 year old nerd on the other side of the planet, that you're dealing just with their character. Know what I mean? In a way I think the very fleeting unspoken interactions add mystique to the whole experience.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Np Blaine and I completely aggree with your views on Rep. This is a forum discussion , you were stating an idea which is the point of this thread. Unless you are outright insulting someone or group of people then I do not see a reason for a down Rep. I personally did not see a reason for a down rep so +1 to you sir.
    Jester's Tears
    Jester's Tears
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jester's Tears Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Also Remove the Washing Pole. Or make it heaver. MUCH MORE HEAVIER. Too damn Effective against all types of enemies and Builds...
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:23 pm

I'd remove the backstab mechanic entirely.
    It causes a million more problems then it fixes.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Rynn wrote:I'd remove the backstab mechanic entirely.
    It causes a million more problems then it fixes.

Or maybe just nerf it, so it only does slightly more damage than a weapon's regular attack. Or even just making the window for it a lot smaller, so that it's impossible to land by any means other than standing directly behind your opponent and getting a clean shot off, so people can't BS fish and it's more about truly sneaking up on opponents or punishing stupid mistakes.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:02 am

^Problem isn't so much the damage it does as it is the fact that it's a grab attack. That's what really causes the problems. Grab attack + exploitable mechanics + lag = a whole mess! So this brings up a few possible fixes: fix the grab, the mechanics, or the lag; or nerf it or remove it entirely. I'm too tired to think it through entirely right now, but I'm sure one of those options (or possibly a combination) would be preferable over the others, in terms of keeping the game balanced, fun, and varied.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:23 am

BLA1NE wrote:^Problem isn't so much the damage it does as it is the fact that it's a grab attack. That's what really causes the problems. Grab attack + exploitable mechanics + lag = a whole mess! So this brings up a few possible fixes: fix the grab, the mechanics, or the lag; or nerf it or remove it entirely. I'm too tired to think it through entirely right now, but I'm sure one of those options (or possibly a combination) would be preferable over the others, in terms of keeping the game balanced, fun, and varied.

Or create the possibility of getting out of it or reversing it. I'm not sure how they could pull that off outside of a quicktime event or button mashing, but if anyone could figure something like that out without copping out it's From.
    BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:28 am

[/quote]

Because people like lag? Who knows , it was probably a Hipster winking.[/quote]

are you implying that I downrepped Blaine?
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm sure he wasn't! It was just a joke, I didn't get the impression he was targeting anyone in particular with it. Let's just let this outburst of mine be forgotten, please!
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:41 pm

I loved this idea.

Also, that rose totally screws my new traveler build, but is great for fancy looks. They could add a second coat without that rose!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:50 pm