Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
ak1287
ComaPrison
6 posters

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted


    Posts : 193
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-12-16

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:23 am

    Miyazaki already took a lot of inspiration from Norse Mythology. If you can choose a new source of inspiration for them to look into, what would you recommend? You can choose from existing sci-fi and fantasy literature. I choose H.P. Lovecraft's "Old Ones".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_ones
    avatar
    ak1287
    Casual
    Casual


    Posts : 55
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-04-12

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty Re: If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by ak1287 Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:39 am

    I'll definitely second that notion. Really, any of the cosmic-horror authors, like Derleth, and to a lesser extent authors like Brian Lumley.

    .... Wait, did I really just agree with Coma? WHAT WORLD HAVE I WOKEN UP IN?!
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted


    Posts : 193
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-12-16

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty Re: If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:53 am

    ak1287 wrote:I'll definitely second that notion. Really, any of the cosmic-horror authors, like Derleth, and to a lesser extent authors like Brian Lumley.

    .... Wait, did I really just agree with Coma? WHAT WORLD HAVE I WOKEN UP IN?!

    Lollll I'm just really aggressive about my belief that people should stand up for what they want. It's very much a "you're with us or you're against us" philosophy. If you're passive enough to allow the enemy to crush what you love without aggressively battling against it, I don't think you're much better than the people who intentionally crush it. In this case the enemy is the profit motive swaying the hearts and minds of Namco Bandai, who then use their influence to persuade or otherwise pressure FromSoft into changing things.
    avatar
    ak1287
    Casual
    Casual


    Posts : 55
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-04-12

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty Re: If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by ak1287 Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:56 am

    ComaPrison wrote:
    ak1287 wrote:I'll definitely second that notion. Really, any of the cosmic-horror authors, like Derleth, and to a lesser extent authors like Brian Lumley.

    .... Wait, did I really just agree with Coma? WHAT WORLD HAVE I WOKEN UP IN?!

    Lollll I'm just really aggressive about my belief that people should stand up for what they want. It's very much a "you're with us or you're against us" philosophy. If you're passive enough to allow the enemy to crush what you love without aggressively battling against it, I don't think you're much better than the people who intentionally crush it.

    I guess that's the difference: I don't see an enemy or anyone trying to crush what I love. I've seen both of those in real life, and this doesn't even come close.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted


    Posts : 193
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-12-16

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty Re: If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 am

    ak1287 wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote:
    ak1287 wrote:I'll definitely second that notion. Really, any of the cosmic-horror authors, like Derleth, and to a lesser extent authors like Brian Lumley.

    .... Wait, did I really just agree with Coma? WHAT WORLD HAVE I WOKEN UP IN?!

    Lollll I'm just really aggressive about my belief that people should stand up for what they want. It's very much a "you're with us or you're against us" philosophy. If you're passive enough to allow the enemy to crush what you love without aggressively battling against it, I don't think you're much better than the people who intentionally crush it.

    I guess that's the difference: I don't see an enemy or anyone trying to crush what I love. I've seen both of those in real life, and this doesn't even come close.

    Lollll I was speaking figuratively.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee


    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 31
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty Re: If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by Serious_Much Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 am

    The world in the Abhorsen trilogy by Gareth nix, has a lot of interesting ideas and takes on the undead as creatures and would be an interesting take on undead to use if the series is to be reinvented as some suggest (though I doubt it)

    The setting of the books is an older England, which suits the characters used in the previous souls games
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated


    Posts : 979
    Reputation : 59
    Join date : 2012-10-02
    Age : 31
    Location : Between the Dark and Light

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty Re: If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by Acarnatia Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:48 pm

    Other ancient European cultures, such as Brythonic, Gaulish, Iberian and such. The Germanics weren't and aren't the only Europeans.
    And there is one thing only I think fits in Dark Souls from Lovecraft-mindflayers. They already existed in Demon's Souls!
    avatar
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated


    Posts : 785
    Reputation : 45
    Join date : 2012-07-31

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty Re: If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by Nybbles Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:00 pm

    we have already seen HP Lovecraft's influence on Demon's, we have already seen Norse mythology's influence in Dark. two of my favorite personal influences. what about something influenced by Guillermo del Torro for a more modern take on horror fantasy. i really enjoy his spin on the genre.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac


    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty Re: If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:23 pm

    The Conan universe.

    DKS could use a little testosterone and high adventure in the Robert E. Howard fashion.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated


    Posts : 979
    Reputation : 59
    Join date : 2012-10-02
    Age : 31
    Location : Between the Dark and Light

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty Re: If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by Acarnatia Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:30 pm

    Del Toro uses a lot of folklore from the very places I mentioned. As a history and traditional folklore enthusiast, I am repeatedly amazed by how much he draws from old folklore, adapting it to modern stories and all the while still keeping the soul and dignity of the original intact. He is a wonderful creator; just know that a lot of his material comes from old fairy lore from various Celtic and some Germanic lore.
    avatar
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated


    Posts : 785
    Reputation : 45
    Join date : 2012-07-31

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty Re: If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by Nybbles Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:56 pm

    Acarnatia wrote:Del Toro uses a lot of folklore from the very places I mentioned. As a history and traditional folklore enthusiast, I am repeatedly amazed by how much he draws from old folklore, adapting it to modern stories and all the while still keeping the soul and dignity of the original intact. He is a wonderful creator; just know that a lot of his material comes from old fairy lore from various Celtic and some Germanic lore.

    which is why i like his work so much cheers
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated


    Posts : 979
    Reputation : 59
    Join date : 2012-10-02
    Age : 31
    Location : Between the Dark and Light

    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty Re: If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by Acarnatia Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:02 pm

    So do I~

    Sponsored content


    If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose? Empty Re: If you could recommend a source of inspiration for FromSoft to expand the existing lore, what would you choose?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:45 am