Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
lalliman
TheMeInTeam
6 posters

How much do different weapons affect shield stability?

TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

How much do different weapons affect shield stability? Empty How much do different weapons affect shield stability?

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:46 am

Hi all,

I've been wondering this for a while. When you look at the wiki, it's not clear how much poise damage each weapon does (IE how many hits to stun a given poise value) nor is it clear how much stamina each one drains off of a shield if you hit the shield. If I understood the mechanics a little better I could probably figure out when it's viable to press somebody's stamina more than I know right now.

Logically, things like halberds, maces, and great hammers should drain more stamina when blocked than daggers and spears...but by how much?
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

How much do different weapons affect shield stability? Empty Re: How much do different weapons affect shield stability?

Post by lalliman Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:53 am

I never looked into it, but i always assumed that for pure physical weapons it was simply more damage = more stamina damage. Elemental weapons seem different, but what do i know.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

How much do different weapons affect shield stability? Empty Re: How much do different weapons affect shield stability?

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:57 am

^ I'm pretty sure that isn't true, because I see more stamina drain from striking weapons than spear pokes, even though their base damage appears similar/same.
    Sciarry
    Sciarry
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sciarry Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:18 pm

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Poise

I hope this helps! winking
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:30 pm

Sciarry wrote:http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Poise

I think he meant how much stamina damage you get upon blocking different weapons, not Poise.
    Sciarry
    Sciarry
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sciarry Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:38 pm

Sentiel wrote:

I think he meant how much stamina damage you get upon blocking different weapons, not Poise.
    I think he meant both! happy
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Sciarry wrote:
    Sentiel wrote:

I think he meant both! happy
    Yeah ok my bad. Not only I can't write, now it seems that I can't read as well.
    Look Skyward
    I should probably go and let Pinwheel kill me. That's the only thing more embarassing than this.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:09 pm

I don't think we really know for certain what drains how much stamina, simply because there's so many variables. There's the weapon, the attack used, and the shield's stability. Combine the 3, and you have thousands of possibilities! (Not to mention you don't know how much stamina your opponent has to begin with, so knowing how much you're taking off is a shot in the dark...) It's not like poise break points where the only variable is the weapon (well, attack would be too, but we mostly ignored it for simplicity, I guess).

Also, I wouldn't worry about gauging your opponent's stamina too much. I used to do it when I first started PvPing, but quickly realized it was futile, and if anything counterproductive. I'd do it to predict when I'd have an opening on my enemy, but then most of them use the Mask of the Child, Cloranthy Ring, Grass Crest Shield, and Green Blossoms, so they regenerate their stamina almost instantly. So you think you have a great opening, but then by the time you can even reach them and swing your weapon, they've regained their entire stamina and now you've left yourself vulnerable.

It's probably my greatest regret in Dark Souls, that it's so easy to abuse stamina regeneration. I refuse to use any items or gear that improve the stamina regeneration rate, because being mindful of your stamina is such an important part of the game's mechanics. That people are able to entirely ignore it with all those stamina regeneration items really devalues the mechanic.

TL;DR: don't worry yourself too much about your opponent's stamina--just mind your own!
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Data-mined numbers for stamina damage are available, but as blaine said there are more factors at play. I assume the stamina damage correlates to the poise break ability for each weapon. For example, the Demon's Greataxe has the highest stamina damage of all the weapons, twice the amount of a Longsword. Upgrading a weapon will also increase its stamina drain ability.

Last edited by ublug on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Yes, the link for poise is very helpful and thanks for that! Now only the weapon vs shield stability question remains!

Also, I wouldn't worry about gauging your opponent's stamina too much. I used to do it when I first started PvPing, but quickly realized it was futile, and if anything counterproductive

I just want to test a build where I can hammer through some shielding. This means I'd need to choose the weapons that are best for doing so (and then compare how easy they are to parry).

Also I consider blossoms to be a buff, exactly the same in my book to darkmoonblade/GMB/etc. They are popped quickly so you often can't punish them, but IMO anyone who tries too close should be immediately BS'd or at least hit for attempting it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:04 am