Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Help me choose between a pure int and an int/dex build

Warma
    Warma

Help me choose between a pure int and an int/dex build Empty Help me choose between a pure int and an int/dex build

Post by Warma Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:58 am

Help me choose between two builds. Someone with more experience could chip in and give me his opinion on which is stronger.

First, a rather conservative sorcerer build:
    http://mmdks.com/q78

And then an all-in glass cannon with maximum spell power and casting speed for SL120-ish, but low health:
    http://mmdks.com/q7a

I already have a decent pyromancer character, but when building this I am unsure about the true effects of dexterity and whether to really invest in it. Strength is 16 and I won't back down from it since I like the moveset of Darksword and would prefer it as the main weapon (alongside uchigatana and moonlight greatsword). I also won't back down from 40 END since those level points are already spent and that's that.

(edit) Do not worry about the item selections and spells, I just clicked something there for show. I'm mainly asking advice for the stats.

Last edited by reim0027 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Minified URLs)
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Help me choose between a pure int and an int/dex build Empty Re: Help me choose between a pure int and an int/dex build

Post by Sentiel Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:21 am

I have a similar character. If I had yours, I would do it like this.
    http://mmdks.com/q6r

• Int raised to 45 to get MAX from Logan's Catalyst.
    • Logan's Catalyst moved to left hand. Always keep all magic sourses in left hand for unpredictability, quick backstabs and to be able to buff.
    • Added Crystal Magic weapon, so you can buff your weapon. Using +15 weapon alone does more damage than using Magic/Enchanted and you can buff it for even more damage.
    • Removed Dark Bead. This will only get you roll backstabbed. Use your weapon to fight in close, not spells. You can always work with them as you want anyway to get your desired combination.
    • Added Shotel, to deal with Havel Shield turtles. Can be buffed for extra humiliation.
    • Armor + Wolf Ring give you enough Poise to tank two handed Greatsword attack. I just hope your character is male, or it will look stupid in this.
    • I dislike Dark Sword, so I switched for Uchigatana. It's possible to switch it back, but Dark Sword is heavier, so you will have to work with armor, or remove Shotel. Anyway, make that Dark Sword a +15, it will be weak, but buff will more than compensate for this.
    • I would keep Moonlight Butterfly Horn close for spear users and perhaps Great Scythe.
    Warma
    Warma

Help me choose between a pure int and an int/dex build Empty Re: Help me choose between a pure int and an int/dex build

Post by Warma Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:31 am

Sentiel wrote:I have a similar character. If I had yours, I would do it like this.
    http://mmdks.com/q6r
    [specific advice]

Thanks for the advice, especially the thing about holding the catalyst in the left hand. I hadn't really thought about that.

I wasn't worrying that much about the items and weapons themselves, just put something there for show. The inquiry was intended to address the different statlines. Anyway, since you seem to have a character similar to the glass cannon, I assume that it's viable. I was mainly worried about the hitpoints, and wondering whether lack of them will gimp the character irrecoverably.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:40 am

This is not glass cannon mate. Most, if not all decent caster (40+ Int) and spellword (40+/40+) will have around 30, or 40 Vit. It's true you have less HP, but you also do more damage.

Glass Cannon, to me, is some uber overpowered build with base Vit able to one shot you, but also to die in one hit.

Like this.
    http://mmdks.com/q6z
    Warma
    Warma

Post by Warma Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:48 am

Sentiel wrote:This is not glass cannon mate. Most, if not all decent caster (40+ Int) and spellword (40+/40+) will have around 30, or 40 Vit. It's true you have less HP, but you also do more damage.
    Glass Cannon, to me, is some uber overpowered build with base Vit able to one shot you, but also to die in one hit.

Allright, this convinced me to go with the high dex route. Thank you for your time.

I've typically used "glass cannon" for any build (in any rpg) which focuses on high damage and low hp. Granted, this doesn't go all in on that, so it is not an extreme example of the philosophy.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 am

I have Int/Dex and Faith/Dex, both with 30 Vit and even 25 End, who don't even cast much, just buff and melee and they rarely lose.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:45 am