Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+30
Kirk-Barb
Walter_White
CappuccinoJak
Coryf2209
GrinTwist
BLA1NE
reim0027
Forum Pirate
Z3r0Fear
Jiub of Carim
Yukon
Carphil
Sloth9230
WandererReece
Soris Ice Goldwing
Myztyrio
Kyōkai
Sentiel
sure-magicians
Astardbay
jaythibodeau
TehInfamousAmos
GenericUsername
PlasticandRage
kazumoshi
Tolvo
lextune
The Letter X
Rifter7
Ocule
34 posters

My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.-

WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.- - Page 3 Empty Re: My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.-

Post by WandererReece Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:58 pm

Sentiel wrote:
    Spoiler:

lol!
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.- - Page 3 Empty Re: My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.-

Post by lextune Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Ha! Instant classic! silly
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:42 pm

I agree with Forum about invaders. Well, not that their feelings are irrelevant. I'll resort to what it takes to win, with a few exceptions. First, I won't chain stab (unless it happens to me). Second, I usually don't heal. If it is one on one, I'll treat it more like a duel. But, if there is a phantom, I'll "hide" behind enemies. Kinda evens out the playing field (except the enemies are easier to kill than phantoms). That is part of the game and helps even out the balance by having the ability to summon phantoms.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:11 am

I think OP meant to rant against bad hosts more than bad invaders... Otherwise I'll have a thing or two to say about the necessity of invaders and balancing the game. silly But seriously, there's a reason why these hosts summoning in the first place! If you want to blame someone for their incompetence, blame over-competent phantoms and their over-abundance. How is a host supposed to get good when phantoms are stomping the game for him? That's why I choose to invade.

My rant about red phantoms:

WHERE ARE THEY?? Nearly finished making my new build, gone through almost the entire game, always in body form, not even invaded ONCE. I mean come on, wtf, where are all the reds at?? I was a bit underleveled, but still, I should've been invaded at least once... sad
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 am

BLA1NE wrote:
    WHERE ARE THEY?? Nearly finished making my new build, gone through almost the entire game, always in body form, not even invaded ONCE. I mean come on, wtf, where are all the reds at?? I was a bit underleveled, but still, I should've been invaded at least once... sad

There, there, I'm sure Kirk's happy to keep you company.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:25 am

I'm opposed to the message of this thread. I mean if every new player already plays like a veteran when it comes to invaders I'm not going to have as much fun invading.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:27 am

Sloth9230 wrote:
    BLA1NE wrote:

There, there, I'm sure Kirk's happy to keep you company.
    Yeah, at least there was him... but the bastard has no humanity to suck! And he's a total pushover...
    Coryf2209
    Coryf2209
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Coryf2209 Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:29 am

But theres three of him. You can always count on the trio de kirque. And let's not forget eats-too-much mildred, and xanthous king jerememiah.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:09 am

You guys forgot LEEERROOYY JENK... ughhh... I mean Leeroy.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 am

I don't heal unless there are 2+ of them or they heal, because its easy to get reliant on it, and I don't chain bs because I don't want to get pivot parried and die, wakeup deadangles are safer.
    CappuccinoJak
    CappuccinoJak
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CappuccinoJak Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:19 am

one thing i never understood is why people think it's cheap for invaders to "hide" behind enemies. the host gets to summon two bros to help him/her out and invaders don't get anyone, not even fellow invaders!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:28 am

There can be 2 invaders, at least sometimes, but generally its me vs 2 or 3 people.
    CappuccinoJak
    CappuccinoJak
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CappuccinoJak Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:53 am

even if there are multiple invaders, they're all still enemies technically (since you can kill each other)....i always treat fellow invaders as enemies and kill 'em 1st so they don't get me lol
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:10 am

CappuccinoJak wrote:one thing i never understood is why people think it's cheap for invaders to "hide" behind enemies. the host gets to summon two bros to help him/her out and invaders don't get anyone, not even fellow invaders!
    If it's 1v1 it is cheap.
    If it's 1v2/3, there's nothing wrong with it.
    CappuccinoJak
    CappuccinoJak
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CappuccinoJak Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:26 am

Sentiel wrote:If it's 1v1 it is cheap.

i rarely pvp (due to me being awful at it lol) but when i do, i'm gonna do everything i can to kill them and i assume they're gonna come at me with the same intent. although i've recently started invading just to throw prism stones all day
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:56 am

Sentiel wrote:
    CappuccinoJak wrote:one thing i never understood is why people think it's cheap for invaders to "hide" behind enemies. the host gets to summon two bros to help him/her out and invaders don't get anyone, not even fellow invaders!
    If it's 1v1 it is cheap.
    How so? Because it gives the invader an advantage? The host has eusts, which amounts to between 5 and 20 extra lives depending on flask strength and number, and its faster than humanity (which they could have on hand as well.) They also have the option to run for a summon, giving them a very big advantage as well.

1v1=/= duel. Its an invasion. There is no cheap, there is no fair, there are predators and prey.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:17 am

Forum Pirate wrote:
    Sentiel wrote:
    If it's 1v1 it is cheap.
    How so? Because it gives the invader an advantage? The host has eusts, which amounts to between 5 and 20 extra lives depending on flask strength and number, and its faster than humanity (which they could have on hand as well.) They also have the option to run for a summon, giving them a very big advantage as well.

1v1=/= duel. Its an invasion. There is no cheap, there is no fair, there are predators and prey.
    Exactly it isn't a duel, so it's more than likely that the host will not be prepared to PvP, because he's questing.

Host can Estus? Lloyd's. That's why it's there.
    Humanity? Both can do that, or you can just backstab.
    Unless they start to chomp on Divine Blessings it's all ok.

If it's 1v1, hiding behind mobs is just as cheap as summoning phantoms. While phantoms are humans and are much more dangerous than mobs, mobs are greater in number and when combined with the invader, they are more than enough to challenge a three player group.

That doesn't mean that they shouldn't do it. Invaders can do whatever pleases them, except for running around naked and doing the Trident Dance, that's just :Baal01: .
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:26 am

I couldn't care less if got ganked in every invasion or every invader ran to the enemies in the area while I'm hosting. I don't care if they are all laggy BS fishers that heal when I'm on the ground. I wouldn't care if everyone started using TWoP and Dark Bead. As long as they are not hacking or modding the game, I am fine with it. All of these things are in the game, who is to say that they cannot be used?
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:30 am

I think most of this depends on factors you can't control, when I first started online I used to really hate it when I was invaded, it almost ruined my day when it happened.
    Now that I'm a little bit more prepared I don't mind, it's what From intended.
    It adds a whole different layer of gameplay, running through a level knowing someone can invade, makes it more exciting, for me at least.
    Have enough, go hollow or offline, easy as that.

In the DeS manual From even states the the host can summon 2(!) phantom to help defeat the invader, and I think it's evenly balanced.
    There are no cheap tactics, it is all as it was intended to be...
    And it is a game, don't take it too seriously anyway, my 2 cents.

tl:dr all is fair game in an invasion, and new people learn quickly when invaded enough, at least I did Well What is it
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:33 am

to OP: still not enough of this for your post

My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.- - Page 3 3596227959 My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.- - Page 3 2707236321

seriously: as a Phantom you have to teach them how to deal with Invaders and protect them with everything you have. If the host dies, it's your fault - you're not good enough to protect him!
    Don't blame the host, blame yourself and try to make it better. You don't lose anything, the host is in danger to lose his solus/humantiy. And you are not there for the souls or the humanity you get from the boss, you are there to protect your host, even if you spend more souls in consumables than you get out of that coop session.
    I hope you understood the message - i hate Phantoms who are only there for their needs and don't care about the host, they are worse than invader.

I played that style a long while as a sunbro, always dropped Tintanite, Humanity, etc. for the host, before the fight starts. Forget your selfish definition of "helping".

Now i took the wrong path and spread terror in Anor Londo as a Darkwraith.....don't tell us what to do, and what not to do - that won't work!
    If i invade someone has to die and i don't care how (no BS don't like that style).
    Well in most cases my burning Zweihander+15 will stomp him into the ground twisted
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 am

If the host isn't prepared for pvp they deserve to be mualed by somebody who is.

As for loyds, so? Mobs arn't hostile to invaders. Guess why. So invaders can use them to their advantage.

Definition of CHEAP

a : purchasable below the going price or the real value
    b : charging or obtainable at a low price
    c : depreciated in value (as by currency inflation)
    : gained or done with little effort

a : of inferior quality or worth : tawdry, sleazy
    b : contemptible because of lack of any fine, lofty, or redeeming qualities
    c : stingy
    of money : obtainable at a low rate of interest

Nothing there implies that hiding behind mobs or summoning is cheap, as the amount of effort put into the fight isn't determined by those things. A 2v1 victory could be just as hard fought and valuable as a 1v3 victory, especially as value is subjective here.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:14 am

Forum Pirate wrote:If the host isn't prepared for pvp they deserve to be mualed by somebody who is.

As for loyds, so? Mobs arn't hostile to invaders. Guess why. So invaders can use them to their advantage.

Define cheap for me.
    I didn't say they don't. They do. It's a part of the game to go and hunt those poor souls.

If the invader is outnumbered, or outmatched, using mobs to level the playing field is perfectly normal and I have no problems with it.
    Using mobs to gain unescesarry advantage, or to grief host, that is what I call being cheap.

If that wasn't enough for a definiton of cheap, I can also try to form it another way and perhaps it will serve the purpose better.

Purposely doing something that creates situations, which are difficult, if not outright impossible to deal with, which are then used to gain an advantage over another player and can be done repeatedly, or have a permanent effect.

A few examples:
    1v2/3/1+mobs
    TWoP + DA WoG
    Glitching and exploiting flawed game mechanics

EDITED

Last edited by Sentiel on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Better phrasing 1.2)
    Kirk-Barb
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kirk-Barb Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 pm

I don't consider any tactic in Dark Souls as cheap.

It is an educational opportunity. :cyclops:
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 pm

We, including me, aren’t being fair to the OP. He does have a point. Some hosts do need to be more cautious when going through a new area. The second thing I learned was to always keep your shield up. Also, some invaders do need to stop being jerks. It’s called sportsmanship.

Remember your first time playing this game? Remember being owned by the Black Knight in the Burg? Remember being cursed in the Depths and not having Purging Stones? Remember not having the Rusted Iron Ring when going through the Poison Swamp? Remember not being able to defeat other players, even the nice ones?

Now remember those jerks that invaded you during your first time playing, especially in the Burg, Parish, and Depths. They had Lightning and Chaos weapons. Weapons you couldn’t get yet. Some people claim it’s ok to use them against newbies. They have 2 main arguments.

1. “Lightning and Chaos weapons are not overpowered because of the split damage. They are even less overpowered now because of patch 1.06.”

After patch 1.07 I created a brand new character and went to the Burg. My first invader used a Lightning Hand Axe. It killed me in two non – critical, non – counter hits. The forum’s current definition of overpowered is something that kills an enemy in one or two hits.

2. “They earned those weapons. They have the right to use them however they want.”

I earned the money I used to buy my handgun. Does that mean I can use it to shoot kids in the park?

People need to remember what it was like to play the game for the very first time. They need to remember how challenging it used to be. They need to remember all those overpowered jerks that invaded them when they only had + 5 weapons. I know they have these memories, because all players are not born with Dark Souls knowledge. This means all players, even experienced ones, used to be newbies.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Some hosts are clumsy, yes. Some darkwraiths are @#!*% , yes.

Some hosts are NEW. Some darkwraiths INVADE TO KILL.

INVADE TO KILL.

INVADE TO KILL

INVADE TO KILL.

INVADE

TO

KILL

Why? Listen to Lunar Fog's theme song:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:39 am