Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+30
Kirk-Barb
Walter_White
CappuccinoJak
Coryf2209
GrinTwist
BLA1NE
reim0027
Forum Pirate
Z3r0Fear
Jiub of Carim
Yukon
Carphil
Sloth9230
WandererReece
Soris Ice Goldwing
Myztyrio
Kyōkai
Sentiel
sure-magicians
Astardbay
jaythibodeau
TehInfamousAmos
GenericUsername
PlasticandRage
kazumoshi
Tolvo
lextune
The Letter X
Rifter7
Ocule
34 posters

My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.-

befowler
    befowler

My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.- - Page 4 Empty Re: My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.-

Post by befowler Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:05 pm

I coop in the same areas a lot, and have run into most of the repeat invaders at those sls at least a few times. I used to get annoyed watching dumb or inexperienced hosts walk right into their obvious traps, but now it's kinda funny because both the invader and I know the host was enjoying a new "learning experience" and we often wave or bow at each other when the host is dead. It's like those Sam and Ralph cartoons with the wolf and sheep dog being all friendly on the way to work, and then pummeling each other for a while when they're actually on the clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_DLqpt4CIsk#t=37s
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.- - Page 4 Empty Re: My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.-

Post by WandererReece Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:08 pm

EeAyEss wrote:Some darkwraiths INVADE TO KILL.

Yes, That is true, and I'm not saying invaders shouldn't kill. It is their job after all, but some invaders take that job too seriously.

Do invaders really need a weapon that can kill someone in one or two hits, especially if the host doesn't have that kind of firepower?

This also applies to the hosts, because some of them do the same thing.

We need more sportsmanship in this game.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:09 pm

I also said "some invaders are assholes." You have a point though Reece.

But it's an online game, what are we gonna do? Shrug
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:19 pm

EeAyEss wrote:I also said "some invaders are assholes."

Right, I only saw the "Invade To Kill" lol!

You have a point though Reece.

But it's an online game, what are we gonna do? My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.- - Page 4 3358384175

We could pray.My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.- - Page 4 3510096238
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:33 am

EeAyEss wrote:Some hosts are clumsy, yes. Some darkwraiths are @#!*% , yes.

Some hosts are NEW. Some darkwraiths INVADE TO KILL.

INVADE TO KILL.

INVADE TO KILL

INVADE TO KILL.

INVADE

TO

KILL

Why? Listen to Lunar Fog's theme song:

This is so epic. lol!
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:22 am

Last night, I had a "rookie" host in Anor. I knew it right away when I spawned; he had on the Gold Hemmed Set and Drake Sword. None of the doors were unlocked and he seemed to stay behind me.

It was kinda refreshing. I showed him every room, door, shortcut, enemy, chest, etc. I took him everywhere; killed every enemy (including the titanite demon). I saw that he was trying to upgrade a BSS. So, I killed Smough first so he could get the Leo ring. I sent him a PM telling him about the ring and the BSS R2.

He sent me a PM back saying that coop session was awesome, thanking me for the help, and sent out a friend request. One of the more satisfying coop sessions I have had.

But, I've had the opposite, where I've had to pm the host telling him not to rush ahead and blindly attack. Follow my lead. And, some of them still don't listen. But, they aren't all that common.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:40 am

reim0027 wrote:Last night, I had a "rookie" host in Anor. I knew it right away when I spawned; he had on the Gold Hemmed Set and Drake Sword. None of the doors were unlocked and he seemed to stay behind me.

It was kinda refreshing. I showed him every room, door, shortcut, enemy, chest, etc. I took him everywhere; killed every enemy (including the titanite demon). I saw that he was trying to upgrade a BSS. So, I killed Smough first so he could get the Leo ring. I sent him a PM telling him about the ring and the BSS R2.
    You sound like a dream co-op partner. I wish I could've summoned you when I was starting. I only met guys who were totally clueless (even more than me), or the typical rusher, who just ruined the experience of the area. It didn't occur to me that I could :black-crystal: them back then.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:56 am

reim0027 wrote:Last night, I had a "rookie" host in Anor. I knew it right away when I spawned; he had on the Gold Hemmed Set and Drake Sword. None of the doors were unlocked and he seemed to stay behind me.

hmm...when i look on your sig i assume PS3. Have you killed an invader with a mix of Giants, Black Iron and Havels with a Zwei and a Grass Crest Shield on the back on the roof?
    Then i teached the host before he summoned you a bit different lesson twisted

Killed a guy 3 or 4 times in Anor Londo last night. The last time i killed him i dropped 1 humanity and 1 indictment before bow+buff (Zwei 2handed burning with that armor must have been very terrifying for him) and slayed him again.
    But he learned from the short fights before, that he must not trade hits with me directly and startet to roll and evade around me, before i hit him again once, stunlocked and finished him off with a second hit.

Next time i met him on the roof with a summon with him. I went high aggressiv for the host, trying to get him between me and the summon. But didn't work and the host had learned to deal with a heavy knight with u.greatsword, so the host killed me and i think he was pretty proud of himself, that he killed his nemesis of this evening.....

(yeah i killed him before with 2 hits from my burning zwei 2handed - but the gear is not OP for Anor Londo and SL56....but totally OP for this Char, i know)
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:28 pm

kazumoshi wrote:
    Ocule wrote:Just a short rant, after they are cleared of creatures, if he isnt already up on the room it wouldnt take much to clear it yourself)
    4)WAIT! DO NOT GO RUNNING AROUND LET HIM TO COME TO YOU!

For red phantoms:
    1) if you wait on a ledge where the host must proceed to ambush him with a fireball or kick him off the edge, you are ****. So *** you.
    2)Seriously, running through the level trying to aggro monsters onto your opponent is also *** stupid.
    3) and running twinks with stupidly higher level equipment than your own is also stupid (for low level pvp)
    4) the only time ambushing/hit and run tactics are okay are when all 3 players are currently trying to kill you. But camping out on a spot just to gank the host is a cheap shot.
    5)if you are outnumbered, its okay to go and summon help.

Anyways, rant over.

TL;DR = New players are bad and should feel bad.

Wait, the red phantoms are DOING THEIR JOB, setting traps and killing hosts. If your newbie hosts are dying, It is all on them. the old' "fool me once " adage applies. Point Down happy

As a phantom helping the host, I try and stop them from doing stoopid crap and to hold a safe ground and wait,but we all know how this goes. Most hosts want to engage and usually under the worst possible circumstances in the level. Obviously most are new to the pitfalls and traps the red phantoms have learned and they run blindly into them.
    hopefully they don't repeat their mistakes everytime they get invaded or the game's motto will be painfully understood, PREPARE TO DIE.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:39 pm

WandererReece wrote:
    EeAyEss wrote:Some darkwraiths INVADE TO KILL.

Yes, That is true, and I'm not saying invaders shouldn't kill. It is their job after all, but some invaders take that job too seriously.

Do invaders really need a weapon that can kill someone in one or two hits, especially if the host doesn't have that kind of firepower?

This also applies to the hosts, because some of them do the same thing.

We need more sportsmanship in this game.

Do we need sunbro's with weapons that kill in one or two shots? do we need other helper phantoms that can do the same? After you defeat a boss and if you co-op it's likely you have better weapons than the host. A helper phantom should be able to take on the red phantom. The game is balanced.

As for sportsmanship... What the hell game are you playing? It's called Dark Souls. ( successor was Demon Souls)

Nothing in either title suggests you'll be playing tennis or something that requires sportsmanship. These worlds are meant to be punishing, from the bosses, the environment, to the red invaders. It's a cruel world there, people killing for souls, killing for humanity. Think about it.

If you feel underpowered, just go hollow. Simple.

Last edited by Odinbear on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:41 pm

Walter_White wrote:(yeah i killed him before with 2 hits from my burning zwei 2handed - but the gear is not OP for Anor Londo and SL56....but totally OP for this Char, i know)

I remember the time you were just a plain chemistry teacher Heisenberg...
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:55 pm

Say my name!

;-)
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Odinbear wrote:Do we need sunbro's with weapons that kill in one or two shots? do we need other helper phantoms that can do the same?

No, of course not.

After you defeat a boss and if you co-op it's likely you have better weapons than the host. A helper phantom should be able to take on the red phantom. The game is balanced.

Of course, both are overpowered, so both are equal. However, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

As for sportsmanship... What the hell game are you playing? It's called Dark Souls. ( successor was Demon Souls)

1st: You got the titles mixed up. Dark Souls is the successor. Actually, it's the "spiritual" successor.

2nd: Of course I know about Demon's Souls. Most PS3 players played that game 1st. I even discussed it on this forum a couple times.

Nothing in either title suggests you'll be playing tennis or something that requires sportsmanship. These worlds are meant to be punishing, from the bosses, the environment, to the red invaders. It's a cruel world there, people killing for souls, killing for humanity. Think about it.

I did. The game is punishing, but not unfair. The enemies don't one shot you. The bosses don't one shot you. Only invaders one shot you.

If you feel underpowered, just go hollow. Simple.

I did the first time. Completed the entire game offline. My rant about red phantoms! and stupid hosts -.- - Page 4 639795459
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Odinbear Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:49 pm

I got one shotted by smough's hammer yesterday. Bam. Surprised me. Messaged the guy, he was on NG++.

Personally I don't believe much is overpowered in this game. It's been very well thought out and the checks and balances ARE THERE. It's a very complex game, considering the level ranges and weapon/ armor ranges that must interact.

Only mismatched things I see are skill levels. And improvement on that takes practice and experience.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:57 pm

@walter, it wasn't me.
    gmwdim
    gmwdim
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by gmwdim Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:58 pm

Sentiel wrote:Brace yourselves!

Spoiler:

I nearly died laughing at this. What's particularly great is that the Darkmoon/Forest Hunter is FACING the host but gets backstabbed anyways, an accurate depiction of my (and I'm sure everybody else's) lagstabbing experiences.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:44 am