Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Lore of the Masked Seekers

Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Lore of the Masked Seekers Empty Lore of the Masked Seekers

Post by Acarnatia Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:30 am

Thou stands in the midst of a great library, a prominent one in the region thou now inhabits. Thou holds a book, untitled and locked by some strange mechanism. A word told by thine friend thou does recall, one that shall 'reveal thy own ciphers unto thee.' Speak the word thou does, and the lock opens, as does the book. If thou peers inside...

Lore of the Masked Seekers Sticker,375x360.u2

Lore of the Masked Seekers

If thou are reading this, then we shall assume though art a fellow, a member of our own organization. This tome contains much of the lore of our own organization. Information on thine world and history at large, this text does not contain. Rather, scribed upon these pages of parchment are our own histories, knowledges and secrets. Tread carefully upon these pages, ye who enter here; our own existence is within this book.

This thread is for any in-game discoveries, written artwork pertaining to Dark Souls or player made events within it, such as poetry, fanfiction, a written scene from your own characters journey through Lordran, and documents regarding the lore of the user made covenant The Masked Seekers and all events it participates in.

Lore of the Masked Seekers Tumblr_mbw5khYnp11rwrcid

Last edited by Acarnatia on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Lore of the Masked Seekers Empty Re: Lore of the Masked Seekers

Post by alchemydesign Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Just sayin here, but the statue in the Painted World, the one you have to turn to unlock the door? It looks like one of the Masked People, in the face.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:11 pm

The statue is weathered and has facial features, including a nose and mouth. I think that's not a mask.
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by alchemydesign Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Most likely, I only caught a brief glance yesterday and was slightly surprised, but if they are seekers, finding them in the painted world wouldn't be too much of a stretch if ya ask me.
    twilightwarwolf
    twilightwarwolf
    Revived
    Revived

Post by twilightwarwolf Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:59 pm

i would like to ask a question and be prepared as it may be very dumb but i noticed for awhile now that the ToTG is at least seemingly connected to ash lake so i ask this. do you think Nito knows or even cares about the last dragon and if he does did he make the dragon immortal because Nito does deal in death so doesnt seem like to far a a strech to me.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:16 pm

I think it's been a long time since Nito did ANYTHING. The necromancers are slowly draining away his very life force and he doesn't care. Considering that, I think that Nito isn't thinking about an equally unmoving dragon. My guess is that he's just sleeping eternity away, thinking I don't care.
    twilightwarwolf
    twilightwarwolf
    Revived
    Revived

Post by twilightwarwolf Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:22 pm

makes sense though i dont think the necromancers are draining his life force away except for pin but rather like his soul says he's offered it up to death.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Nito may not be an actual sentient being. He is "the dead." While it may just mean he is a "living" dead person, that sounds more like an UNdead to me. No, Nito seems more likely to be more of an embodiment of death.
    twilightwarwolf
    twilightwarwolf
    Revived
    Revived

Post by twilightwarwolf Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:15 pm

yh thats what i think as well but i imagine the answer is still the same that he doesnt care or know
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:45 pm

None of the deities are the actual embodiments of anything. Like most cultures gods, they are gods over a force or idea, not actually it. In Greek mythology, the Protogenoi ('primordial gods') were beings that were the ancestors of the gods and Titans. Gaia, the Earth itself, was one; so was Nix, (Night) Erebus, (Darkness) Aether, (Light) Hemera, (Day) Uranus, (Heaven; he literally was the sky) Tartarus. (Hell, the stormy infinite void that the Titans were sealed in-yes, Tartarus was sentient) Before even these ones were the first two-Chronos/Aeon, (literally meaning 'age') who was not a god of time-he is time, and Chaos, (literally 'the gaping void') who is emptiness, void-space. Chronos and Chaos together begat the other Protogenoi who begat the Titans who begat the gods who begat man.
    The gods presented in Dark Souls are superpowered masters over concepts and natural forces and objects, not actually those things themselves. Gwyn is not actually lightning-he just uses it. Sentient natural forces and concepts in Dark Souls would have existed before even the dragons-at least some of them, such as the Earth and Sky because those things have to have existed for the dragons and gods to have existed in the first place.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Acarnatia wrote:None of the deities are the actual embodiments of anything. Like most cultures gods, they are gods over a force or idea, not actually it. In Greek mythology, the Protogenoi ('primordial gods') were beings that were the ancestors of the gods and Titans. Gaia, the Earth itself, was one; so was Nix, (Night) Erebus, (Darkness) Aether, (Light) Hemera, (Day) Uranus, (Heaven; he literally was the sky) Tartarus. (Hell, the stormy infinite void that the Titans were sealed in-yes, Tartarus was sentient) Before even these ones were the first two-Chronos/Aeon, (literally meaning 'age') who was not a god of time-he is time, and Chaos, (literally 'the gaping void') who is emptiness, void-space. Chronos and Chaos together begat the other Protogenoi who begat the Titans who begat the gods who begat man.
    The gods presented in Dark Souls are superpowered masters over concepts and natural forces and objects, not actually those things themselves. Gwyn is not actually lightning-he just uses it. Sentient natural forces and concepts in Dark Souls would have existed before even the dragons-at least some of them, such as the Earth and Sky because those things have to have existed for the dragons and gods to have existed in the first place.

Nito isn't, strictly speaking, a god. At least, he probably isn't. He is a mass of skeletons, with power of death, and was a large enough factor on his own to earn a place in legend by fighting the dragons. The Witch had her daughters and the might of fire (likely the strongest, most dangerous element around) and Gwyn had a whole army. Nito was alone, and he wasn't even shooting them down with lightning or scorching them alive. He was just causing them to fall over and die. His very presence was poison.

He is the first of the dead. The majority of his lord soul has been given to death (actually, maybe that's why the undead curse started: Nito got too weak over time to properly end them). If that doesn't sound like the closest thing to death incarnate, I can't think of anything else that would.
    twilightwarwolf
    twilightwarwolf
    Revived
    Revived

Post by twilightwarwolf Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:08 pm

he's got a point besides if he has a force over death how is he makin the skeleis in the battle between you and him come back? though i dont think he caused the curse i believe that was someone or thing else my own personal guess is kaathe but thats besides the point. and it wasnt just dragons it was all that was living, unless you were his servents then i guess he allowed you to live? not sure. though i see were you say he may not be death incarnete because if he was wouldnt he be way more powerful? because from that time to now he would have had WAY more souls and perhaps power but thats my only doubt with him being death incarnete.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:23 pm

"Soul of Gravelord Nito, first of the dead. This Lord Soul was discovered at the dawn of the Age of Fire.
    Gravelord Nito administers the death of all manner of beings. The power of this soul is so great that it satiates the Lordvessel, despite the fact that much of its energy has already been offered to death."

He basically is death, according to his soul. It also says that a great deal of his soul was offered to death. That's why I'm thinking that he doesn't get any power for causing death, instead actually LOSING power. Almost as if the natural state is for life to turn to undeath, and breaking that chain requires energy.

Then, when he starts getting low on energy, Nito goes to slumber, and the dead begin to walk. Hey, I'm not saying it's true, or even likely; it would make a good story though.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Notice that the description on his soul item is not an absolute statement; his soul says he 'administers death over all manner of beings', not 'over all beings'. He has power over death, not is death. And you're right, he's not a god-he's a Lord, which in terms of power and importance, seem to be much greater than gods. Gwyn, Nito and the Witch of Izalith aren't just more gods; s/he's one of the three Lords who overthrew the dragons so that Gwyn's family even could be gods. Neither Nito nor the Witch of Izalith and her family are ever called gods, whereas Gwyn's family makes that particular title quite clear. I think this is because Nito and the family of chaos are entirely different from the gods, akin to elves and dwarves. I view the Lords as on another level entirely from Gwynevere, Flann, Gwyndolin, Lloyd and the Firstborn entirely.
    I agree that that may be a good story. I think that that's not the case in Dark's story, though.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Acarnatia wrote:Notice that the description on his soul item is not an absolute statement; his soul says he 'administers death over all manner of beings', not 'over all beings'. He has power over death, not is death. And you're right, he's not a god-he's a Lord, which in terms of power and importance, seem to be much greater than gods. Gwyn, Nito and the Witch of Izalith aren't just more gods; s/he's one of the three Lords who overthrew the dragons so that Gwyn's family even could be gods. Neither Nito nor the Witch of Izalith and her family are ever called gods, whereas Gwyn's family makes that particular title quite clear. I think this is because Nito and the family of chaos are entirely different from the gods, akin to elves and dwarves. I view the Lords as on another level entirely from Gwynevere, Flann, Gwyndolin, Lloyd and the Firstborn entirely.
    I agree that that may be a good story. I think that that's not the case in Dark's story, though.

If you want us to cut out this conversation, I gladly will; it is your thread after all.

However, I think that we could argue over the semantics of "all manner of creatures" forever. Is it supposed to mean "a wide variety"? Or is it supposed to mean "every type"? I could see it being either way.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:13 pm

I do prefer to move this somewhere else or drop it. You're right, all I'm saying is that it's not an absolute statement, which means it's open to be interpreted to either 'all' or 'many'. I think it's many. Nito himself died, meaning death existed before he could master it. I recognize that some may interpret this to mean that by dying he became it or gained control over it. I, rather, view Nito as a Lord who after dying gained some measure of control over death-that he is, essentially, just a very powerful necromancer, someone who has gained control over a preexisting fundamental phenomenon. (or if death is actually a thing rather than an occurance, Death)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:42 pm