Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Noob-of-Artorias
mr_no_face
skarekrow13
ollebsson
hey its andres
Buggy Virus
Seignar
DE5PA1R
Serious_Much
Juutas
alchemydesign
15 posters

Hm...Walmart

Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Hm...Walmart - Page 2 Empty Re: Hm...Walmart

Post by Seignar Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm pretty sure OK is just an abbreviation of the word okay..
    It is...but, it has quite a history behind it. No, I don't remember the details and I can't find the source (it was a book), but it said that the abbreviation "O.K" came during an era where people where obsessed with making abbreviations for everything. A lot of these abbreviations today are unknown because they never stuck. The abbreviation "O.K" stuck because there was an important individual whose initials were O.K during that era and being able to associate this abbreviation with that person's initials made it easy for it to stick in the minds of people.

Like I said, I do not remember the details as this was something faint I
    remembered (If anyone has another source, please tell me).

Another crazy origin for a word was the name of a town in Puerto Rico: Aibonito. The name Aibonito came because one of the Spanish came and saw that the land was beautiful, so he/she exclaimed: "Hay, que bonito!" (Translation: Wow, how beautiful!). That exclamation made everyone call it "Aibonito". [The "Ai-" comes from the fact that "Hay" is pronounced "Ai"]

Amazing how such simple things have interesting ways of being born.
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by alchemydesign Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:52 am

Well, I imagine it's more for place-holding...it is much easier to create a 12-holder system than a 28-31 holder system, if you follow. But all of this aside.

I highly doubt you'll see a next gen console by the end of this year. Besides, if I was From, I would market it to the user base already out there that I KNOW I'd satisfy, not the market in its infancy as a next gen market would be. Do what you know until you know the new. I wouldn't release a next gen title until I knew the hardware, and I DEFINITELY wouldn't release one of my flagship titles.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm pretty certain we'll see PS4 by holiday. Considering the state of the economy, a company would be crazy to release a new console any time other than late November/early December, and I can't imagine Sony announcing the PS4 in February 2013 and releasing it November 2014. That's over a year and a half of downtime.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Plus they said "holiday" season. I know that Valentine's day is a holiday here in the USA but it's not generally considered a big "major electronics" holiday (although it would be a great way for my wife to show me how much she loves me......she'd show it even better by buying it earlier though)
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by alchemydesign Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Plus they said "holiday" season. I know that Valentine's day is a holiday here in the USA but it's not generally considered a big "major electronics" holiday (although it would be a great way for my wife to show me how much she loves me......she'd show it even better by buying it earlier though)

Lol Skare, that WOULD be showing the love. But I mean generally consoles aren't released in the same year they're unveiled, at least in my memory. But I could be wrong, as I grow older my memory is starting to slip.

All I know for fact...if Dark Souls 2 is next-gen, I'll cry myself to sleep every night until I can save up for one.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Playstation Twitter: "That's a wrap! PS4 is coming Holiday 2013."

https://twitter.com/PlayStation

Also, Dark Souls II is listed on Best Buy for release on June 15th, 2013. Unlikely.

I'd link it but for some reason I can't.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Oh Best Buy....when will you learn the follies of your ways. I also wanted to add my agreement with you that Sony would be very very idiotic to miss the holidays on a launch.

Back to Best Buy, I would sympathize with their plight but this story of customer "service" left me with little sympathy for their business model:

I found a 60" Mitsubishi TV that had really good reviews on their site for $1,000 I believe with 0% financing for a good chunk of time. I had a 50 something inch but wanted an upgrade. Anyway, there was some behind the scenes work to sell the old TV if I bit on the new one which meant I was off the hook for $200 and I had time to pay off the new one. Awesome (plus Bing's old cash back program gave me a free $50). During the order processing stage Dell had the 65" version of the same TV for $900 and also 0% financing. Hmmmm.....bigger TV, less cash. No brainer. I called Best Buy and let them know of the deal at Dell. The frontline staff sympathized and said he couldn't authorize a price reduction to match but understood why I wanted one. He got a manager. The manager said, sorry but we don't match prices. I said, I can still cancel my order with you right? He said I could. So I said....cancel it.

When faced with the option of less of my money or no money.....Best Buy CHOSE the no money option.

Long story short: I'm with ya in the "don't trust Best Buy's judgment camp"
    scalpfarmer
    scalpfarmer

Post by scalpfarmer Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Haha. I will make a pilgrimage to From to collect the game from them though, join me when the time is Nigh.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:13 pm

DE5PA1R wrote:Playstation Twitter: "That's a wrap! PS4 is coming Holiday 2013.".

Does it say which holiday? Would help after all if they defined which as they've left me rather confused.

I'll presume they mean christmas time seeing as that's the date being thrown around everywhere.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Serious, since I know you're a dialect afficianado:

In US lingo, "Holidays" is used almost exclusively to mean Thanksgiving (end of November for anyone not in the US) through New Years Eve. It used to be that we'd say "Merry Christmas" in December but the new, political correct thing was to not exclude other faiths so the term "Happy Holidays" was introduced to mean "Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah, whatever floats your boat." Then the term was stolen by advertisers to sell things to the masses. As the shopping season begins in earnest the day after Thanksgiving, the term includes about a month of activity or better. I remember the 360 launch well since I was working at a toy store at the time and had to work it. It was also announced for the "holidays" and was released the day after Thanksgiving.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Well thats a bit... Yeah.

Lets just say I'm the kind of guy who when watching one particular american dad christmas special, I'm just as equally shocked/annoyed at the use of the term.

I saw some cards with it this christmas in Britain. Officially speaking our national Religion is still C of E Christianity so I was kinda appalled, but I guess it's unavoidable considering how religion (mostly christianity) seems to be dying out in modern times.
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by alchemydesign Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Well, even if it does release this fourth quarter, I still think From would be in the wrong to release it as a next-gen game.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Actually, we say "The first of December two thousand and thirteen". It's only americans who put the month first in both writing and speech. Like I said how come you do that? I never understood it.

I do love how you presumed we spoke the month first though, so cute.

It's also strange how we swapped from saying "ninteen ninety-x" to "Two thousand and x" post millennium, though I guess I understand considering "twenty thirteen" just sounds coarse and horrible compared to the other way of saying it.

For some reason this is the first post of yours I've ever read to myself with a British accent. Now I can't stop.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:38 am

hahaha, it's finally unleashed, Serious with a british accent will reign!! twisted
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by alchemydesign Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:47 am

LMAO, I'm not british but I read my OWN posts in foreign accents...it makes me happy inside.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:18 am