Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
GrinTwist
Shindori
Brigade
Dibsville
Serious_Much
ADirtySlate
gmwdim
User1
Soris Ice Goldwing
Phoenix Rising
Automancer
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Virulas
17 posters

are you kidding me?

gmwdim
    gmwdim
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

are you kidding me? - Page 2 Empty Re: are you kidding me?

Post by gmwdim Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:35 am

Shindori wrote:Should come as something obvious. You face the capra demon long before going to its natural habit, the path to lost izalith. Same thing for the taurus demon. and same thing for pinwheel. Kinda easy to connect the dots.. if you need any more 'proof' the track list of the soundtrack is also a sort of 'walkthrough', telling you the order in which the bosses are meant to be defeated.

Okay thanks for mentioning the soundtrack. Now that I look at the list, it does make sense. Sorry for being clueless.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:50 am

From did not troll you, they merely let you off with an easy boss. Getting there was hard, many people agree on that. However, it gets harder in the Tomb, especially if you play the way I do.

Without any form of light to guide you.
    Nugget
    Nugget
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nugget Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:26 am

Sorry to say, Nito isn't that much harder than Pinwheel. Also, I kind of think of Pinwheel as the Fat Minister of Dark Souls, he himself isn't supposed to be difficult, but he sort of symbolizes the point in the game where your skill and the game's difficulty start to match wits. Also, I completely disagree with the idea that he's intended to be an early level boss. Just because you get the divine ember after Moonlight Butterfly doesn't mean you're meant to go to the Catacombs next. (In fact, I usually don't even fight Moonlight Butterfly until after Anor Londo, since there's very little worth getting from Dark Root until you have the Lordvessel.) There's almost nothing of importance for a low level player in the Catacombs, and without the lordvessel you just run into a dead end having accomplished nothing of real consequence.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:29 am

Nugget wrote:Sorry to say, Nito isn't that much harder than Pinwheel. Also, I kind of think of Pinwheel as the Fat Minister of Dark Souls, he himself isn't supposed to be difficult, but he sort of symbolizes the point in the game where your skill and the game's difficulty start to match wits. Also, I completely disagree with the idea that he's intended to be an early level boss. Just because you get the divine ember after Moonlight Butterfly doesn't mean you're meant to go to the Catacombs next. (In fact, I usually don't even fight Moonlight Butterfly until after Anor Londo, since there's very little worth getting from Dark Root until you have the Lordvessel.) There's almost nothing of importance for a low level player in the Catacombs, and without the lordvessel you just run into a dead end having accomplished nothing of real consequence.

I'm going to disagree with this, you can get the great scythe down in the catacombs. Not to mention, if you know what to do, you can join the gravelord covenant.
    Nugget
    Nugget
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nugget Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:36 am

I'm going to disagree with this, you can get the great scythe down in the catacombs. Not to mention, if you know what to do, you can join the gravelord covenant.

I did say almost, since I actually do go to the Catacombs early to grab the Scythe if I'm doing a dex build, but a new player's not going to benefit a lot, unless they're a dex build, and joining the Gravelord Covenant doesn't really afford you a lot of benefit at a low level outside of NG+, since if you try to gravelord early areas on NG, you're just going to get stomped by all the angry NG4 dudes who just saw the BP Tower Knight in Undead Parish. Additionally, I don't consider a couple of decent pieces of equipment to be a good reason to take on Pinwheel before you get the Lordvessel, since no one tries to rush Blighttown from New Londo to get the Iaito or the Meat Cleaver. Blighttown is even an area which you can fully progress through as the first area if you want to, but it's pretty non-standard practice to do that.

Last edited by Nugget on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:00 am

I actually do the Catacombs pre-LV only (there are exceptions, of course) if I'm doing a Faith build. Solely for Reah.
    Brigade
    Brigade
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Brigade Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:20 am

Nugget wrote:

I did say almost, since I actually do go to the Catacombs early to grab the Scythe if I'm doing a dex build, but a new player's not going to benefit a lot, unless they're a dex build, and joining the Gravelord Covenant doesn't really afford you a lot of benefit at a low level outside of NG+, since if you try to gravelord early areas on NG, you're just going to get stomped by all the angry NG4 dudes who just saw the BP Tower Knight in Undead Parish. Additionally, I don't consider a couple of decent pieces of equipment to be a good reason to take on Pinwheel before you get the Lordvessel, since no one tries to rush Blighttown from New Londo to get the Iaito or the Meat Cleaver. Blighttown is even an area which you can fully progress through as the first area if you want to, but it's pretty non-standard practice to do that.

Right of Kindling, Scythe, TWoP, Darkmoon Seance Ring, Gravelord Sword, Gravelord Sword Dance, Lucierne, Scimitar, Pre Blighttown Falcion, Effigy Shield, Family Mask, Crescent Axe, Fire Upgrades, Black Knight Great Axe, Soul Items, Pre Depths Homeward Bones, Pre Parish titanite Shards, Green titanite Shard....
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:41 am

Souls.
    Souls are a great indication of what levels you were intended to play an area at.
    The highest value soul in the Graveyard is 2000... the highest value soul in Blight Town is 3000.
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:44 am

Fool's Idol was better
    psychichobo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by psychichobo Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:52 pm

Andre and Domhall both go on about Divine weapons helping you in the catacombs if I recall correctly.

Once you've killed the Gargoyles though, as a new player going in blind, it's feasible that you won't know exactly where to go next. Your options are as follows:

1. Darkroot Garden - find the Butterfly and kill it, and then potentially consider trying for the Catacombs
    2. Darkroot Garden - buy the Crest of Artorias, and ignore thoroughly the warnings Andre gives you (warnings in vidjagames = go there immediately) and try to go through there.
    3. Darkroot Basin - find the thing that shoots at you, see if there's a way there, and how to maybe get through that locked door (assuming you haven't found the butterfly).
    4. Lower Undead Burg - despite being the correct way to go, you might not always go this way first. Go forth, whup Capra, go to Depths, etc.
    5. Catacombs - you'll only consider this after the acquisition of a divine weapon. Maybe when you're in the depths and find a green shard? If you're lucky you may have stumbled onto the one near Vamos.
    6. New Londo Ruins - it's there, you never fully explored it before, and it goes down - could lead to the bell? Could be the 'Blight Town'?
    7. Blight Town - through Valley of the Drakes with Master Key, once you discover it you'll know it's the 'correct' way as the Crestfallen Knight said the bell was there.
    8. Valley of the Drakes - unlikely, since you've either already seen the cave to Blight town, but you might've gotten past the basin Black knight, found a bonfire, and found an elevator going down... and the Drakes are clearly guarding a city gate...

So, if you think about, there's 8 options a newbie could come up against. Remember, all they know about the second bell is it's down in Blight town, so they know it's down somewhere.

I dunno about you, but I killed Sif before Capra, and then killed Pinwheel before Gaping Dragon. There's a lot of potential options.

EDIT: Also, on NG+ Pinwheel actually did kill me. I got **** and tried a running attack to finish him off, and as I was swinging took a fireball close range whilst I was vulnerable. We killed each other at the same time...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:20 am