Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Ghadis_God
O1va_
Redhawk17torch
7 posters

Need light dex build advice for fighting gankers

Redhawk17torch
    Redhawk17torch
    Casual
    Casual

Location : In my room, trying my best not to throw my tv out the window

Need light dex build advice for fighting gankers Empty Need light dex build advice for fighting gankers

Post by Redhawk17torch Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:33 am

Alright so I have made a forest hunter build in which I want to focus on Mainly dex weapons, no magic, just combat.

My stats

Soul Level: 116
    Vitality: 56
    Attunement: 9 (doesn't matter)
    Endurance: 48
    Strength: 16
    Dexterity: 40
    Resistance: 11 (doesn't matter)
    Intelligence: 9 (doesn't matter)
    Faith: 9 (doesn't matter)

So far I have been using
    Iaito +15 (main)
    Grasscrest shield +15 (stamina)
    Shotel ? (against turtles, ? means I don't know what upgrade I should give it)
    Lightning Avelyn +5 (distance)

My armor and rings are always changing but I'd like your input on what I should use.

And thanks for your help in advance Proper Bow
    O1va_
    O1va_
    Regular
    Regular

Need light dex build advice for fighting gankers Empty Re: Need light dex build advice for fighting gankers

Post by O1va_ Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:43 am

Redhawk17torch wrote:Alright so I have made a forest hunter build in which I want to focus on Mainly dex weapons, no magic, just combat.

My stats

Soul Level: 116
    Vitality: 56
    Attunement: 9 (doesn't matter)
    Endurance: 48
    Strength: 16
    Dexterity: 40
    Resistance: 11 (doesn't matter)
    Intelligence: 9 (doesn't matter)
    Faith: 9 (doesn't matter)

So far I have been using
    Iaito +15 (main)
    Grasscrest shield +15 (stamina)
    Shotel ? (against turtles, ? means I don't know what upgrade I should give it)
    Lightning Avelyn +5 (distance)

My armor and rings are always changing but I'd like your input on what I should use.

And thanks for your help in advance Need light dex build advice for fighting gankers 945058907

Hello!

I would switch iaito to chaos blade for more damage, and i think its longer and whenever i'm using it or am against it, I get ridiculous phantom reach and damage. I would also switch avelyn to composite or shortbow with poison arrows, bow has much faster recovery and you can cancel your shot, if needed. Upgrade your shotel +15.

As for armor, anything that gets you enough poise (there really isn't enough poise for forest haha), i would say at least 36 (1h greatsword R1, if i remember correctly).

E: Rings: i would use something like wolf ring that you can menuswap to red tearstone, when needed, the extra damage comes handy but most of the time its waste of ringslot as you'll get killed before it activates.

Happy hunting!
    Redhawk17torch
    Redhawk17torch
    Casual
    Casual

Location : In my room, trying my best not to throw my tv out the window

Need light dex build advice for fighting gankers Empty Re: Need light dex build advice for fighting gankers

Post by Redhawk17torch Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:50 am

Yeah, the choas blade is nice but I'm not sure how good it would be with +5 and 10 Humanity compared to the Iaito +15 with resins amps

I'm sure going to try out the bows and go for poise. thanks
    O1va_
    O1va_
    Regular
    Regular

Post by O1va_ Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:59 am

Redhawk17torch wrote:Yeah, the choas blade is nice but I'm not sure how good it would be with +5 and 10 Humanity compared to the Iaito +15 with resins amps

I'm sure going to try out the bows and go for poise. thanks

CB should outdamage iaito + resin, and fights tend to outlast buffs in the forest. Give it a shot, if you don't like it you can allways switch back to iaito.

Also, CB weights as much as silver knight spear, so you can optimize your armor for it and menuswap if you want to poke the host dead.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:02 am

I recommend the Silver Knight Spear against gankers, as long as you have fast roll you can control distance and keep them away from you. The shotel isn't necessary, a turtling ganker is a trap so that the other one can bs you. You might want to try the Great Scythe as well, it hits very hard once you learn how to use it and has excellent range. Also, the Iaito with resin is fine; you don't need the Chaos Blade in this case because the Iaito has a better moveset and respectable damage especially if buffed with Sunny D. The Flamberge is another very good weapon, and you might want to even try the Gargoyle Tail Axe because it scales with dex and stunlocks very well. The curved swords are also good weapons; standouts include the Gold Tracer for its bleed and the Falchion for its overall quality as a weapon. You should also try for either 31 or 53 poise to avoid spear/kat/curved sword or Greatsword stunlock. Other than that, good luck and happy hunting.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:05 am

37 is for tanking a 1hr1 of a greatsword, not 36.
    I would honestly suggest keeping all 3 katanas other than the Washing Pole for their varied movesets. Menu swap to whichever you need. Also, keep a Falchion in your backpocket as a secondary weapon. Anyone that's aggressive but doesn't have enough poise, take out the Falchion and stunlock them. You won't be bsed while using the Falchion's 2hr1.

If you're fast rolling, 31~53 poise is enough, also get a spear to counter another spear user.

@O1va, i honestly didn't expect to see you here in the forums. bluebee898 here. Wave
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:08 am

Rings use ROFAP and wolf ring to boost poise, like o1v said dump the avelyn and go with a bow and poison arrows, poison is very effective. Going with bow also frees up some weight. with the rofap and 48 end you got 105 weight to play with. As for turtlers poison them, bleed them out, swipe, kick, swipe. Havels gloves and hollow soldier leggings(looks awful but the best weight for poise ratio there) with wolf give you 75 poise. Personally i'd pump 1 into attunement for black flame, helps with breaking guard, pyro one hand, iaito in the other, black flame break, swipe.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:08 am

AnCapaillMor wrote:Rings use ROFAP and wolf ring to boost poise, like o1v said dump the avelyn and go with a bow and poison arrows, poison is very effective. Going with bow also frees up some weight. with the rofap and 48 end you got 105 weight to play with. As for turtlers poison them, bleed them out, swipe, kick, swipe. Havels gloves and hollow soldier leggings(looks awful but the best weight for poise ratio there) with wolf give you 75 poise. Personally i'd pump 1 into attunement for black flame, helps with breaking guard, pyro one hand, iaito in the other, black flame break, swipe.

You want 76, not 75.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:19 am

Automancer wrote:
    You want 76, not 75.

forgot to mention add in the porcelain mask, which will drive it over 75, dump the shotel.

someone mentioned the gargoyle halberd, it's actually a good weapon for turtlers, kick and do a jump attack to their right and there's a good chance you'll dead angle them. Problem is if they've high poise you're open for a bs, usually the kick sorts that out.
    O1va_
    O1va_
    Regular
    Regular

Post by O1va_ Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:20 am

How did i read your post and assumed you wanted to use a katana, i don't know. Ghandis God mentioned lots of good dex weapons, check them out.

Automancer wrote:37 is for tanking a 1hr1 of a greatsword, not 36.
    I would honestly suggest keeping all 3 katanas other than the Washing Pole for their varied movesets. Menu swap to whichever you need. Also, keep a Falchion in your backpocket as a secondary weapon. Anyone that's aggressive but doesn't have enough poise, take out the Falchion and stunlock them. You won't be bsed while using the Falchion's 2hr1.

If you're fast rolling, 31~53 poise is enough, also get a spear to counter another spear user.

@O1va, i honestly didn't expect to see you here in the forums. bluebee898 here. Need light dex build advice for fighting gankers 1361424789

Haha we're just bound to meet in different situations it seems.

I would still claim its 36 poise to resist 1hr1 of a greatsword (1,5x35=52.5 -> 2hr1 resist = 53 poise).
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:21 am

AnCapaillMor wrote:
    Automancer wrote:
    You want 76, not 75.

forgot to mention add in the porcelain mask, which will drive it over 75, dump the shotel.

someone mentioned the gargoyle halberd, it's actually a good weapon for turtlers, kick and do a jump attack to their right and there's a good chance you'll dead angle them. Problem is if they've high poise you're open for a bs, usually the kick sorts that out.

Unless you're a tank, having 76 is overkill. 53~62 is the proper amount to go for. Poise won't save you against a really good player.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:22 am

O1va_ wrote:How did i read your post and assumed you wanted to use a katana, i don't know. Ghandis God mentioned lots of good dex weapons, check them out.

Automancer wrote:37 is for tanking a 1hr1 of a greatsword, not 36.

@O1va, i honestly didn't expect to see you here in the forums. bluebee898 here. Need light dex build advice for fighting gankers 1361424789

Haha we're just bound to meet in different situations it seems.

I would still claim its 36 poise to resist 1hr1 of a greatsword (1,5x35=52.5 -> 2hr1 resist = 53 poise).

So it seems, lol. I can assure you that the breakpoint for it is 37.
    O1va_
    O1va_
    Regular
    Regular

Post by O1va_ Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:24 am

Automancer wrote:Poise won't save you against a really good player.

We're talking about gankers here big grin
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:26 am

O1va_ wrote:
    Automancer wrote:Poise won't save you against a really good player.

We're talking about gankers here big grin

Oh, didn't read the OP clearly. Look Skyward
    In that case, the more poise the better. Although, if you want to better yourself, lower the poise range.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 am

31 is all the poise you need on a "light" build, it stops you from getting locked by all the weapons that you have an excuse to not dodge with fast roll.
    O1va_
    O1va_
    Regular
    Regular

Post by O1va_ Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:59 am

Ghadis_God wrote:31 is all the poise you need on a "light" build, it stops you from getting locked by all the weapons that you have an excuse to not dodge with fast roll.

In a duel, in the forest theres two weapons swinging at you, and I at least like to have more poise in that situation.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:13 am

^Exactly, unless the person is realy really good at toggle escaping, more poise is beneficial for us average players.
    Dutchy
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dutchy Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:33 am

I don't quite understang the toggle escape, when i'm being stunlocked, I normally swap weapons and that solves it.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:37 am

^It's a glitch that 'cancels' the stunlock when you swap weapons as you're about to get hit.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:59 am

So, it's a bit like jumping through the barrel at the Burg?
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:06 am

^ I'm not sure but something like that. More experienced guys could delve more into this.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:07 am

X! Get over here! silly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:13 am