Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Soris Ice Goldwing
Maneater_Mildred
LunarFog
7 posters

LunarFog Build: Gank buster

LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

LunarFog Build: Gank buster Empty LunarFog Build: Gank buster

Post by LunarFog Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:32 pm

http://mmdks.com/1pui

What do you think?

There's only one way to beat a few gankers, and that is to cheap them out. What's cheap and kills? spells, backstabs, and pokes, which is what I geared this build toward.

Rapier - High critical for backstabs, fast, scales with dex, ability to poke

Hornet Ring - Backstab damage estimation: 700-1000

<25% weight - Being fast is vital against ganks

40 dex - Near-max damage for rapier and near-max spellcast time.

32 poise - Can tank out at least one hit from smaller weapons. Useful for casting gravelord greatsword.

Force - Can give you some space, and can be useful if you can lure the group to a ledge. Talisman is in the right hand so you can block and use force.

Black Flame - Strong, tends to break shields and leave people open for a second cast.

Tranquil walk of peace - Can help you land a backstab safely.

Gravelord greatsword/fire tempest/firestorm - Because large AoE's are good against groups. Not sure which one would be strongest and/or fastest though.

Crown of Dusk - Because I'm the queen.

Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

LunarFog Build: Gank buster Empty Re: LunarFog Build: Gank buster

Post by Maneater_Mildred Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:26 am

My view on how to beat ganks...

Don't block or poise!

thorn helm, demon spear in left, butchers knife in right, flip ring and grass ring. That is all.

Don't stand still, chip and control with spear, roll bs anytime they get inside my spear range.

Works well for me.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Gotta use whatever works. I prefer my backstabs to count when I get them though.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Fair enough. I don't want to sink to their lvl, hence the lack of twop on my toon. And last time I checked bs without the hornet ring still does damage. But hey if you are happy to sink to their lvl, then twop hornet bs them to death. Have fun.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 pm

Maneater_Mildred wrote:Fair enough. I don't want to sink to their lvl, hence the lack of twop on my toon. And last time I checked bs without the hornet ring still does damage. But hey if you are happy to sink to their lvl, then twop hornet bs them to death. Have fun.
    Thank you ma'am. And it's not a matter of "sinking to their level" or not. It's a matter of killing some annoying people by any way possible.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:54 pm

By killing gankers by any means necessary how does that translate to your tactics when dealing with them? Is the host always first or does that depend on the situation?
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:22 am

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:By killing gankers by any means necessary how does that translate to your tactics when dealing with them? Is the host always first or does that depend on the situation?
    No one is in particular order usually. The way I see it, the host heals the phantoms with their estus regardless of whether you damage the host or phantoms first.

First priority: Damage anyone you can get a free, safe, hit on. That'll cause the host to use one of their limited amount of estus. In a sense, damaging the phantoms also damages the host.

Second priority: If you have to choose between killing a phantom or damaging a host, kill the phantom.

Third priority: If you have to choose between damaging a phantom or the host, damage the host.

Fourth priority: If you can kill the host or kill/damage a phantom, kill the host.
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:23 am

I think ur build will wreck. i personaly have always done good fighting gankers with a murakumo. easy to stunlock highdamage, good backstab, and a wide arc but i think ur build will wreck. give em hell bro they deserve it
    LunarFog Build: Gank buster 1330857165
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:54 am

Steps to killing a gank.
    >Backstab whomever get's close to you first
    Did it kill him?
    If yes, head after the host if that wasn't the host.
    If no, head after host if it was phantom, or avoid phantom and attempt to finish off if the host.

If a phantom was whom you backstabbed, note their HP: Did the host heal them enough that they will survive another backstab? If yes, concentrate fully on the host: You're wasting your time, if no, backstab again.

Everything else is too dynamic, but that's the first 30 second routine of a ganker fight for me.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:17 am

Yea. That seems like a solid strategy Rynn, but I'm a slower type of fighter. I like to whither away the supplies and health until there's nothing left if it's even a LITTLE bit safer.

So I'll happily backstab a phantom 20 times and have the host heal them 20 times if it means that I'll eventually be able to kill the phantom and then go after the now defenseless host.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:19 am

I'm fairly sure that Dark Silver Tracer is both lighter and does more damage than the Rapier once you reach 40 DEX for backstabs and parries.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:08 am

Dibsville wrote:I'm fairly sure that Dark Silver Tracer is both lighter and does more damage than the Rapier once you reach 40 DEX for backstabs and parries.
    I need something I can do damage that can attack too. And the rapier has a good move set and the fastest behind-the-shield pokes in the game.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:11 pm

So, Tempest does the highestdamage of all the AoE's
    Force stuns an opponent, but I can tell you from experience both performing and dodging the technique, that switching from the talisman back to your rapier makes it slow enough to escape, so if you're using force to get a backstab, change it to your offhand.

I removed some endurance and put the points in strength: it's 23 more AR if I counted correctly, and trust me, that makes a major difference both while hitting and while backstabbing. if you're about to fish for a backstab, two hand that *** for even more AR. If you've the patience, make crystal rapiers. Switch to them when you're fighting a ganker. On average they last for 3 to 4 fights with gankers.

I agree, wittling down supplies can be fun, but I find it just as funny to watch their supplies be utterly worthless due to epic 1 second kills.

Edit: http://mmdks.com/1qnn
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Rynn wrote:So, Tempest does the highestdamage of all the AoE's
    Force stuns an opponent, but I can tell you from experience both performing and dodging the technique, that switching from the talisman back to your rapier makes it slow enough to escape, so if you're using force to get a backstab, change it to your offhand.

I removed some endurance and put the points in strength: it's 23 more AR if I counted correctly, and trust me, that makes a major difference both while hitting and while backstabbing. if you're about to fish for a backstab, two hand that *** for even more AR. If you've the patience, make crystal rapiers. Switch to them when you're fighting a ganker. On average they last for 3 to 4 fights with gankers.

I agree, wittling down supplies can be fun, but I find it just as funny to watch their supplies be utterly worthless due to epic 1 second kills.

I can fish for backstabs without the use of force. Force is going to be for when I have my back up against the wall and need to get out. That's why it's in my right hand, so I can block too.

Does 2handing a weapon increase backstab damage? I don't think it does.

And crystal rapiers would be a good idea.
    leonardo503
    leonardo503

Post by leonardo503 Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:57 pm

^ If a weapon has strenght scaling then it will increase the normal damage, thus increasing backstab / riposte damage.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:31 pm

leonardo503 wrote:^ If a weapon has strenght scaling then it will increase the normal damage, thus increasing backstab / riposte damage.
    ....what?
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:43 pm

LunarFog wrote:
    leonardo503 wrote:^ If a weapon has strenght scaling then it will increase the normal damage, thus increasing backstab / riposte damage.
    ....what?

exactly what he said, 2handing a weapon will increase the damage if it has strenght scaling....

not that it helps with your dex weapon. lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:17 pm