Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Dibsville
Coryf2209
CrackSouls
VaDoom
User1
Rynn
LunarFog
Dutchy
masbaconstrips
13 posters

Hornet Ring

masbaconstrips
    Addicted
    Addicted

Hornet Ring Empty Hornet Ring

Post by masbaconstrips Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:01 pm

Thoughts on currently using the hornet ring, it was nerfed so I was wondering if people still look down on it? Most of my builds are medium role so I dont need to use wolf/havels and think the hornet might be the next best option...thoughts?

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=153146371482564341
    Dutchy
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Hornet Ring Empty Re: Hornet Ring

Post by Dutchy Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:07 pm

I used to look down on it, but honestly, I don't even take a second look at it now. If your a thief, your most obvious attack is a backstab or riposte, most thief weapons do little damage without the backstab, so that really is needed. But with your build, honestly, aren't you happy with the backstab damage you have? You don't want to waste a ring slot due to laziness. Maybe if you are fighting gankers and want to put one down quickly, then sure, but to waste a ring slot like that... It comes close to sacrilidge.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:13 pm

The build looks good. I'd keep the ring. I think it's your best option.

Steel protetion is near useless.

Cloranthy ring is irrelevant because of grass.

You don't need Havel's ring for more defense since you already have more than enough.

All the other rings aren't even worth mentioning.
    Dutchy
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dutchy Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:20 pm

I don't know, Blue tearstone would look mighty fine on that... But I guess that just comes down to personal preference.
    masbaconstrips
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by masbaconstrips Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Dutchy, good idea with blue tear but that brings me to another question...is it looked down upon to switch rings mid fight? So keep the hornet on until I get to the lower health where blue tear is usable?
    Dutchy
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dutchy Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Be less concerned with what's looked down upon, and more concerned about what's best for you. I think it is a brilliant idea, Why not. It's your build, it's now or never. It aint gonna live for ever... Sorry, drifted off there. Yeah, go for it.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:39 pm

ring swapping is not looked down upon.
    Most people still look down on hornet ring, primarily because it tends to be used by backstab fishers. I'd recommend just not worrying about it and using it anyway.
    masbaconstrips
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by masbaconstrips Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:40 pm

The only other rings I even think about using are wolf which creates over 100 poise or belowing dragon for stronger flames...but are those better then a hornet? I dunno...
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:43 pm

I use it more to my advantage, rather than give it a bad name. Me and Soris were duelling in the Painted World once, and another invader came to the world. Me and Soris waited to see who it might have been, and it was a guy mid rolling in full giants, with near end game equipment. He went for Soris, I went behind him, and he rolled into a wall in the confusion, where I backstabbed him. I was wearing the Hornet Ring, and I don't care, because if it were not for the extra damage, that griefer would have survived. Point is, it isn't always used for bad purposes, even if the majority give it a bad name.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:45 pm

How often do you backstab?
    Bellowing Dragoncrest ring would make most pyromancies do about 190 more damage a hit, and 100 poise is -incredibly- useful if you're tanking.
    VaDoom
    VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by VaDoom Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Nothing is wrong with menu switching rings or other stuff. I do it all day long.
    And nothing is wrong about using hornet as your main ring too.
    It's an investment, you realy well could use havel and optimise your armor differently to fast roll or even go for a stronger armor settings.
    Regarding your stats, going 31str/40dex would make your bow and fury sword stronger. Or is your 36str for switching with an heavier str weapon?
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:41 pm

LunarFog wrote:
    Cloranthy ring is irrelevant because of grass.

I disagree. They stack quite nicely. I actually really like the Cloranthy Ring.

Red Tearstone is another great option as well.
    masbaconstrips
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by masbaconstrips Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Crack - I saw an ENB vid where he said that cloranthy doesn't stack with grass?

VaDoom - The build wasn't meant to go this way but im leaving it at 120 so I can get more battles, I definitely am going to use the black knight axe in the right hand too. Also I try to use havels/wolf when I can to get fast rolling but I can never seem to get a good combo of poise and def...any help? I like having high def/poise because I am dual weildin with this build.

Rynn - Is 76 poise not enough to tank?
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:01 pm

76 is enough to give nearly every physical attack a complete c*ck block.
    masbaconstrips
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by masbaconstrips Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Does the belowing dragon ring or dusk crown increase black flames power?
    Coryf2209
    Coryf2209
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Coryf2209 Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:05 pm

I often use the hornet ring when I go for a duelist character. Yesterday I caught the same guy several times with a SLB estoc+15 with a hornet ring, and would often 1-shot him with the parry. I rarely backstab with it though, because I used to be the kind of guy that would just BS you with the hornet ring, until I swore it off and decided to go for some real skills.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Cloranthy ring + grass = an excessive amount of stamina. Why stack stamina regen if just grass will do just fine?

Blue tearstone is useless. I thought we all knew this? By the time it activates, having 200 or so more defense won't save your life.

Red tearstone is a possibility, but unless you're quick at menu-swapping then you'll probably get hit one last time before you have a chance to put it on.

Safest bet would be the hornet ring.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:32 pm

I like to hornet backstab people with a 429 AR rapier, and watch them bleed out 1600 HP.
    **** is so epic.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:35 pm

LunarFog wrote:Cloranthy ring + grass = an excessive amount of stamina. Why stack stamina regen if just grass will do just fine?

I suppose the massive use of stamina has to do with my own playstyles, and is probably not a big deal for the OPs character. Also, grass runs out for me more than not.

Although now that I've heard multiple people say "it doesn't stack", I am searching for proof of that right now.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:32 pm

It's still looked down upon among many people, including myself, but I only hate is because of lagstabs. If someone gets a Hornet parry on me, that's fine, if I left my back open for a Hornet stab, that's fine.
    But when people just go for the lagstab I simply can not stand Hornet Ring, also people who fish for parries shouldn't have it on, if you're so concerned about a parry, you shouldn't need the ring if you know you're going to get it. I view it like this:
    If you are using a Hornet Ring, it's because you need it, not because you want it.
    Example: Say I'm in the Forest and I invade gankers. I would see Hornet fine for that. But say I invade a lone host. I'll normally go with Leo Ring or Wolf Ring, but never Hornet Ring unless they are using say a Dragonslayer Spear or Moonlight Greatsword, where I know they'll just use some bad tactic to win.
    twilightwarwolf
    twilightwarwolf
    Revived
    Revived

Post by twilightwarwolf Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:10 pm

Most people look down on it really as stated above because of BS fishers and the amount of dam increase on certain weps or even in general. Myself i absolutely LOVE that ring because , and i may be the only person here but, i get bsers and gankers and all the bull DkS has to offer 90% of the time and hardly get any decent fights. Not to mention how can one not like the animations for it?

That being said i like to think of it as me fighting fire with fire. Because how would you feel if you get a fisher , using the same wep, bs's you for 1000 plus dam and when you bs only get 500 plus? i feel that its more overly annoying and just rude so i use HR without a second thought. Now i assume you wont be bs fishing with a wep that can kill on its own as i havent yet looked at your build. Btw if you really feel that switching would be good why not use bellowing and HR and switch between the two? get more spell dam and bs/parry dam. again just me and my thoughts
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:15 pm

IMO . . . Hornet ring is not OP. If is fair game. It uses up a ring slot. That means, you have to drop one slot from more powerful rings like FaP, Wolf, Havel's, Bellowing Dragoncrest.

Hornet ring only buffs parries and BSs. Parries, for the most part, are easy to avoid. Don't R1 spam, and don't be predictable. Parries are also punishable. Bait the parry, and BS them. Works even better with a target shield.

BSs, removing lag, are also punishable. Roll BS = unlock and aim behind you. Or, bait a roll, turn around, and parry. Pivot BS = counter BS. It is usually telegraphed when they are going to do it. Especially if they are BS fishing.

And, we can't say lag makes BSs OP. Lag affects everything. So, it makes everything OP. Which, in turn, makes nothing OP. Think phantom range. That can cause as much, if not more, damage than BS can.

Virtually every single time I've been parried or BSed, it has been my fault. HR is just another buff. And, in this case, a buff that is usually avoidable and punishable.

wolfboy
    Regular
    Regular

Post by wolfboy Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:01 am

I use the hornet ring on my Pardoner build... I don't care if people look down on it- I think it fits the character very nicely and obviously compliments the Hornet Ring 3596227959
    Build has 0 poise and no shield- the HR is what makes it dangerous though...

Also those riposte animations are awesome...
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 am

I've thought about this before, and I would say I want a Hornet Ring type ring in DK2, not for the damage, but for the different animations.
    Nothing is more satisfying than slamming that ganker into the ground and dealing 1k damage.
    masbaconstrips
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by masbaconstrips Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:28 am

Good points everyone, i think after reading everyones opinion im going to go with the belowin dragon as I think it is more effective in a battle. Reim has good points - if i dont get a parry/bs then the ring slot is potentially wasted and i tend to use my pyro more often in the battle anyway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:52 pm