Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
LOLRagezzz
strangejoy
Yesuurd
Blazefury
JY4answer
Yarxov
Tolvo
Liff Daddy
RANT
Forum Pirate
Serious_Much
Carphil
16 posters

Hornet's ring

Poll

Do you use it?

[ 15 ]
    Hornet's ring I_vote_lcap44%Hornet's ring I_vote_rcap [44%] 
    [ 19 ]
    Hornet's ring I_vote_lcap56%Hornet's ring I_vote_rcap [56%] 

Total Votes: 34
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Hornet's ring Empty Hornet's ring

Post by Carphil Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Oh right some people complained the other thread and they were right, after I read what I wrote, it really seems I tried to offend people, so first of all sorry.

Now, I wanted to know how many people use this ring and preffer to One hit kill in PVP
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Hornet's ring Empty Re: Hornet's ring

Post by Serious_Much Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:48 pm

It seems preferable when you are a noob who cant kill except a lucky lagstab, or is a legitimate tactic that some people choose to use, i personally favour a more interesting duel.

however I have used it in the past, when i first invaded for souvenirs of reprisal, was easiest way i could win and havent used it since I'm glad to say.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:53 pm

i dont but i'm not a big fan to thrusting weapons. my dex build doesn't have the open ring slot anyways and if i want to 0HKO someone, my dmb great scythe does the trick a good deal of the time anyways, and if i'm really desperate i can add inner power. scythe bs for 500+ through full havel farmers without dmb. cant say wether or not the guys havels was upgraded though.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:31 pm

i use it when im practicing my parrying, damn lag gets me killed a lot.
    Liff Daddy
    Liff Daddy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Liff Daddy Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Nope, never used the Hornet ring.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:53 pm

I like to riposte, so yes I use it with the Leo ring. The Hornet Ring effects Riposte right? Please don't tell me I've been wasting a slot. sad
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:57 pm

yeah it's backstabs and ripostes dont worry your lucky windmill parry still works silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Sweet, my Target Shield still has its purpose. happy My Dex character isn't for naught.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:00 pm

There is no way to describe getting labstabbed 3 times in a row by a Lightning Halberd +5 with Hornet ring, doing 900+ for an instant kill.
    Actually there is. It sucks!
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:46 am

I switch to it while I spawn if I see a trio. Without a doubt. Elsewise I keep on my Leo.
    Blazefury
    Blazefury
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Blazefury Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:47 am

Forum Pirate wrote:i dont but i'm not a big fan to thrusting weapons. my dex build doesn't have the open ring slot anyways and if i want to 0HKO someone, my dmb great scythe does the trick a good deal of the time anyways, and if i'm really desperate i can add inner power. scythe bs for 500+ through full havel farmers without dmb. cant say wether or not the guys havels was upgraded though.

Havel's armor cannot be upgraded. By the way, if the item is in the game, it's legitimate, unfortunately. I find it to be a bit cheesy when a guy just circles around you fishing for a backstab, lags and kills you with one hit, but that's life.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:59 am

Serious_Much wrote:It seems preferable when you are a noob who cant kill except a lucky lagstab, or is a legitimate tactic that some people choose to use, i personally favour a more interesting duel.

however I have used it in the past, when i first invaded for souvenirs of reprisal, was easiest way i could win and havent used it since I'm glad to say.

Lagstabs suck and we all hate them, I use the hornet ring with bandit knife sometimes chaos sometimes buffed.

I believe it is all balanced depending on the use and weapon, for example I only go in with my knife, seems
    to me you need alot of skill to win just with a knife in the forest for some reasons:

1-Most players have high poise/defense, meaning you cannot stagger them with the knife alone.
    2-Most players use stagger weapons with more reach than you so you have to look for a way to get close
    which is very difficult.
    3-Landing a backstab is many times an art in my opinion, and also many times luck or lag.

Also, to one shot BS someone is not very common if he has all his health and good armor.

Another fact which is mostly for the invader is that it is useful for dealind with estus chugging, which
    in my opinion is a disadvantage for the invader.We can use humanity to heal but ohh well, and I always
    choose not to heal, just my style.

The other tactic I use is katanas and finding a window between the swings of heavy weapons to hit and repeat, sometimes I also resort to spears to have some reach and then switch to the knife.

Anywho, I think the tactics and use of hornets are far more complex than most think and if you use it
    you are giving up alot of things since one ring slot has alot of value in this game.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:09 am

Yesuurd wrote:Lagstabs suck and we all hate them, I use the hornet ring with bandit knife sometimes chaos sometimes buffed.

I believe it is all balanced depending on the use and weapon, for example I only go in with my knife, seems
    to me you need alot of skill to win just with a knife in the forest for some reasons:

There's your problem, you're using a knife in the forest when everyone there are usually gankers rocking full sets of n00b armour (you know the ones I mean) so knifing those guys will not be very effective silly

How do you fight then using it, do you fight them a little before going for a surprise backstab or what?

interested to know the kind of way you fight with that ring, since every fight presumably you'll have to try to take advantage of the equipment you've picked otherwise would simply be a wasted ring slot.
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:14 am

No, I don't use it. I don't mind engaging in a little backstabbing now and again, particularly since I've acquired a taste for fighting against multiple campers at once (relatively low win rate, but great fun!). But running around with a rapier/bandit's knife and a hornet's ring is crazy boring.
    LOLRagezzz
    LOLRagezzz
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by LOLRagezzz Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:28 am

I dont use it but I keep around 2 if I ever became god of pivot BS. big grin
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:47 am

Serious_Much wrote:
    Yesuurd wrote:Lagstabs suck and we all hate them, I use the hornet ring with bandit knife sometimes chaos sometimes buffed.

There's your problem, you're using a knife in the forest when everyone there are usually gankers rocking full sets of n00b armour (you know the ones I mean) so knifing those guys will not be very effective silly

How do you fight then using it, do you fight them a little before going for a surprise backstab or what?

interested to know the kind of way you fight with that ring, since every fight presumably you'll have to try to take advantage of the equipment you've picked otherwise would simply be a wasted ring slot.

Well, I loose alot but many times I win too.It's just hardcore to me to fight like that seems you have to give
    more of yourself, not saying there is not tactics in other types of play, because there is.Like knowing when to evade when to go in, timing opponent etc... But if I beat 3 dudes with my little knife it feels awesome, I just like watching the phantoms up in my face like "wtf" did this guy just kill our host with that?

So I am aware that I am at a huge disadvantage and you are right.

The way I fight is depending on how many of them there are if there are 3 I use miracles to stagger and
    find a way in to backstab the host.If I can land a backstab on a phantom just because he happens to be besides me well I go for it if I know his health has been hindered.

It is very very difficult but enjoyable, try it you might go nuts or like it.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:48 am

I know people use it for a preferable way of fighting, but thats what I meant. For me, one shoting people with a pivot BS is NOT fighting, is just an easy kill. If you like daggers, wear in off hand or to parry, but everyone preffer to do a lucky lagstab and kill the guy than actually have a nice battle. In MY opinion, its just not fun.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Carphil wrote:I know people use it for a preferable way of fighting, but thats what I meant. For me, one shoting people with a pivot BS is NOT fighting, is just an easy kill. If you like daggers, wear in off hand or to parry, but everyone preffer to do a lucky lagstab and kill the guy than actually have a nice battle. In MY opinion, its just not fun.

You can also slice away, you can land much more hits with a dagger than anything else and also cause bleed, the tactics I spoke about before are used in situations when more than one attacker is coming at you, in duels it's different.Also everyone backstabs either luckily or by mistake in this game, have you NEVER backstabbed someone?

That's a good question I think, is there anyone in the forum who has not ever used a backstab in pvp?
    Like never, since they started playing.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Yes, I already backstabbed, but never with hornets ring, so I could continue the fight, but I never started a duel and pivot BS with the ring and won the battle. It wasn't a battle, just a kill.
    S_Hawk
    S_Hawk

Post by S_Hawk Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:58 pm

I used it when i was looking for souvenirs of reprisals in the ToG, but i never got a 1HKO (a estoc +9 vs full smough is not that effective), also it's very hard to use backstabs, at least with my 2m connection and my location (colombia)
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:30 pm

I use it, on occasion. I haven't used it in a while. My builds are favoring heavier weapon sets and I don't want to give up a ring slot for the Hornet's ring.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:41 pm

I use it on my dragon.
    Scudman_Slayer
    Scudman_Slayer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Scudman_Slayer Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:07 pm

nah i never use it mostly due to the fact that im never going for a backstab/lagstab

i don't like insta-killing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 11:53 am