Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
Darkson
Rynoa
befowler
Maneater_Mildred
JY4answer
ARSP
ViralEnsign_
CrackSouls
Spurgun
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
PlasticandRage
Forum Pirate
reim0027
Tolvo
Domhnall
Ieyfura
Wade_Wilson
Reaperfan
JohnnyHarpoon
berkut
LordRevan
Whknight
Uparkaam
Serious_Much
Carphil
29 posters

Random Off-Topic

Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Random Off-Topic - Page 5 Empty Re: Random Off-Topic

Post by Reaperfan Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:22 pm

Serious_Much wrote:what is your opinion on WHY there have been ethics applied to invasions and dueling in dark souls?

Some people want to turn the multiplayer component of this game into essentially a fighting game (not that Dark Souls couldn't be one winking), and ignore the original roleplaying intent of the online components. In a game designed to be a strictly competitive environment, these kinds of ethics and balancing do indeed matter (there's a reason the American Super Smash community has banned Meta Knight in Brawl tournaments), but in a roleplaying environment (which is what the developers intended for this game), these become different matters. Should Darkwraiths wait for a host to clear out a room of enemies, give them time to heal up, then bow before engaging? If this were a fighting game, there would be no enemy-clearing or healing, and no need to bow, as there are no random enemies to interfere with the match between the players, both players begin at full health all the time, and the "are both players ready" is answered at the character select screen before the game even begins.

Bottom line, are you playing Dark Souls as a fighting game or an RPG? Your answer determines if PvP ethics are a matter of importance.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Yea but darkwraiths invasions are diferent from Red soapstone

If you asked for an invasion, is a duel. And you should at least bow, showing that you respect your opponent.

But like 50% of the players are just kids that are messed up by bullies in school and feel better when they BS someone in a video game, I guess honor just don't exist

Like I said in another thread, I would never backstab or poison a honorable opponent, even if that risks my life

Yea, I know, I'm not Japanese, but their culture its just amazing
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:37 pm

My view on its simple: if the other guy bows or signals that he wishes to clear out a room of enemies, I'll bow back or I'll let him clear the room. In a game were everything can and will kill you, I might as well make his death as painless and rage-free as possible.
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:what is your opinion on WHY there have been ethics applied to invasions and dueling in dark souls?

Some people want to turn the multiplayer component of this game into essentially a fighting game (not that Dark Souls couldn't be one winking), and ignore the original roleplaying intent of the online components. In a game designed to be a strictly competitive environment, these kinds of ethics and balancing do indeed matter (there's a reason the American Super Smash community has banned Meta Knight in Brawl tournaments), but in a roleplaying environment (which is what the developers intended for this game), these become different matters. Should Darkwraiths wait for a host to clear out a room of enemies, give them time to heal up, then bow before engaging? If this were a fighting game, there would be no enemy-clearing or healing, and no need to bow, as there are no random enemies to interfere with the match between the players, both players begin at full health all the time, and the "are both players ready" is answered at the character select screen before the game even begins.

Bottom line, are you playing Dark Souls as a fighting game or an RPG? Your answer determines if PvP ethics are a matter of importance.

^ This. I personally think that the majority of individuals who strictly adhere to the evolved rules are individuals who actively participate in 1v1 pvp matches. Through the participation in such matches, it can be said that these individuals feel that there are certain tactics that imbalance such matches. The view on these tactics may be commonly felt by pvpers and therefore they developed the current set of rules that they adhere to. Naturally, pvpers may take these views and rules with them to non 1v1 pvp environments. In these environments, these rules may not have developed, and therefore those who participate in these environments will not adhere to these rules. This will come off as unfortunate for those who adhere to the 1v1 pvp rules, as they naturally counter these rules. On the flip side, the 1v1 rules may seem odd to those who do not normally adhere to them, for in their environment, they don't work (such as in a 3v1).

Basically, the prior experiences and perspectives of an individual(s) would have affected their acceptance of certain rules.

(Sorry if some of that was slightly off topic.....)
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:18 pm

interesting stuff guys, however why do you think we begin to apply rules we take for granted in 1v1 situations such as fight club and suddenly feel like breaching these in wider gameplay is 'cheating you' and such.

I could name a few cases I've seen this, but why do some feel as though it should be universal, as oppose to having double standards for different types and situations of PvP?
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:29 pm

Going back to my earlier point, they think they should be universal because of their view of what kind of game Dark Souls is. If they view the PvP component of Dark Souls as a fighting game, then they will usually believe that it should apply across the board. If they see it as an RPG, they will usually think along the "anything goes" line.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:17 am

I don't think I could ever see Dark Souls as a fighting game, or an RPG at the same time. It seems to have carved out it's own genre, a dying game.
    Ieyfura
    Ieyfura

Post by Ieyfura Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:25 am

Whknight wrote:I don't think I could ever see Dark Souls as a fighting game, or an RPG at the same time. It seems to have carved out it's own genre, a dying game.

This, pretty much. Also, I have seen someone with my exact same avatar on the boards. Awkward. O_o
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:53 am

I like the idea of divided perspective between it being an RPG and a Fighting game.

In terms of a 'dying' game, I think Demon's Souls was actually more of a dying game, if not only because you had to be in soul form (hollow) to be summoned, so often I found myself intentionally dying, whereas in Dark Souls I feel that no death is intentional.

Really, though, it's just an old videogame in 3-D in my mind - I almost feel like a little kid who's learned where all the enemies are, what they all do, and exactly what to do in each situation...like a kid who's memorized where all the bullets fl across the screen in World 8 of Super Mario World or something.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:41 am

Johnny in terms of dying intentionally, I always do before stepping into the forest now and fighting Sif, just to avoid annoying invasions silly
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Well you will have do die at least once in the game

there is one game called MetalSlug, I remember I used to play for PS1, it was so fricking hard, you had to shoot 10 times to kill one soldier and they can kill you in one bullet. Plus, if you die 3 times its game over and you have to start from the beggining again

So I agree, dark souls is more a game to die
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:23 pm

One thousandth post. Yay me :roll:
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:26 pm

HA!

No title change! HA!
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Whknight wrote:One thousandth post. Yay me :roll:

Congratulations, you get to join all of the other crazyies who post way to much in this forum lol
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:36 pm

I've been #3 shortly after I jumped into upgrading. Fun fact, between Serious, Carphil, and myself we have posted roughly 15% of the posts on the forum.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Okay, so I can guess your faves drinks are coffee too right?
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Coffee to me? No, I can't stand the stuff. Sunkist is my coffee and alcohol...
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

lol coffee is disgusting carphil, all about tea bro silly

and Whknight, please never find stats like that again, doesnt put us (me mainly though) in good light lol!
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:24 pm

You just don't like it because its so danm expensive there, and here we have the best coffee.

I lied. My GF said the best coffee in the world its in Montreal, I do believe her, for now.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Have you seen The Finder yet? Interesting TV show, I'm kinda like the Walter Sherman except I do it because I want to not because someone asked :x

Also Serious, between the three of us the combined total is 16.29%, with you leading at 7.32% :p
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Coffee is the best. I'll admit my favorite form of it is coffee ice cream, but if I'm drinking it I prefer to keep it black.

I'm a fan of tea, but I drink way more iced tea than hot tea. Still, don't like it sweetened....though I am a big fan of half iced tea half lemonade. Amazing.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:34 pm

boo you then silly

so guys... favourite memes?
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:37 pm

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bPFHVN9KenA/Tv9XXW1RzpI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/BLRqaV5Fs6o/s1600/95c16de9_trollface.png

Mostly because I have a photo on my facebook thats its very similiar, this is also why some girls dont add me even knowing I have a girlfriend >.<
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:41 pm

I hate memes, I've seen and dealt with to many thanks to the immature FFXI community...
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Never really read many memes before...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:23 pm