Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

New Rolling Mechanics Suggestion

Conrack
    Conrack
    Addicted
    Addicted

New Rolling Mechanics Suggestion Empty New Rolling Mechanics Suggestion

Post by Conrack Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:24 am

I know this idea won't be to popular because lots of people really "enjoyed" Havel flipping. [i] But I think it would work well if the game limited your rolling ability to slow (maybe medium for some lighter metal armors(chainmail specifically))if you are wearing any form of heavy/plate mail, I for one disliked the rolling feature of the Souls games (one of two features I dislike*) I never could come to like the idea that you can bounce around in armor and still stand up like your naked.

To sum up the idea for those annoyed with my writing style (or those just trying to find the point).
    Heavy armor (Platemail,Bulky armors, Basically all metal armors)= Slow roll.
    Medium armors (chainmail, Leather with metal armor patches, clothes that have a heavy defense rating).= Medium roll.
    Light clothes/armors (clothes with no real physical Defense rating save magic/holy/dark/etc, light leathers with no metal attachments)= light rolls with less Invincibility frames.

If you are wearing armor your roll is calculated off your heaviest piece equipped.

For my idea to work Armor would have to be able to actually stop some to maybe a significant amount of damage at the cost of all mobility and limit the weight of weapons you could carry (no Havels and dragon tooth on Player character).
    While light and mediums would rely less on physical defense (as it should be) and need to dodge and retreat to fight.

There are still some flaws in my Idea I'm trying to work out, if you have comments please feel free to express them.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

New Rolling Mechanics Suggestion Empty Re: New Rolling Mechanics Suggestion

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:36 am

I can see your point but I always like to mention in these threads that your character is supposed to be able to achieve superhuman feats in the end.

The concept of tumbling (because that's what dodges are, rolls and handsprings) in armor, even heavy armor is in my opinion just as, if not more so, plausible than ever trying to wield something like Grant or Smough's hammer. I used to do weighted training with martial arts and pro wrestling and can say that I was pretty nimble with a great deal of weight. We used to do a weight machine designed for jumping for track and I used to be able to get off the ground with 600 pounds of resistance. I've also known a gymnast whose workouts lead me to believe he could actually pull off a handspring in armor if he really wanted to (and the range of motion allowed it, which it wouldn't)

On the flip side, I own a 15 pound battle ax, whose length and size would put it firmly in the "small weapons" category for Dark Souls. The wrist strength needed to use it is tremendous and even though I used to be pretty good with it, I've never been able to achieve swing speeds like in game.

So from a physics standpoint, I gotta say I have no problem with the implementation of rolls and the like because, hey.....there's very little reality going on anyway so what's a little stretch of the imagination?

As for balancing the PvP mechanics....I could stand behind a few tweaks but I'll leave with one more example. My only dueling toon invested in endurance to the degree that he can fast roll with Black Iron armor on. I use a light shield and a Great Scythe and must wear Havel's ring and the Ring of Favor and Protection. In other words, I've sacrificed both my rings and a lot of stat points that could be very useful elsewhere to achieve my speed. While the system isn't perfect I would only like to see minor adjustments.

Conrack
    Conrack
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Conrack Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:I can see your point but I always like to mention in these threads that your character is supposed to be able to achieve superhuman feats in the end.

The concept of tumbling (because that's what dodges are, rolls and handsprings) in armor, even heavy armor is in my opinion just as, if not more so, plausible than ever trying to wield something like Grant or Smough's hammer. I used to do weighted training with martial arts and pro wrestling and can say that I was pretty nimble with a great deal of weight. We used to do a weight machine designed for jumping for track and I used to be able to get off the ground with 600 pounds of resistance. I've also known a gymnast whose workouts lead me to believe he could actually pull off a handspring in armor if he really wanted to (and the range of motion allowed it, which it wouldn't)

On the flip side, I own a 15 pound battle ax, whose length and size would put it firmly in the "small weapons" category for Dark Souls. The wrist strength needed to use it is tremendous and even though I used to be pretty good with it, I've never been able to achieve swing speeds like in game.

So from a physics standpoint, I gotta say I have no problem with the implementation of rolls and the like because, hey.....there's very little reality going on anyway so what's a little stretch of the imagination?

As for balancing the PvP mechanics....I could stand behind a few tweaks but I'll leave with one more example. My only dueling toon invested in endurance to the degree that he can fast roll with Black Iron armor on. I use a light shield and a Great Scythe and must wear Havel's ring and the Ring of Favor and Protection. In other words, I've sacrificed both my rings and a lot of stat points that could be very useful elsewhere to achieve my speed. While the system isn't perfect I would only like to see minor adjustments.

Thank you for your input, most of what I have to say is PVP related as PVE I'd be fine with the base game mechanics.
    Heavy weapons, true that by the end of the game (maybe earlier depending on build) we have superhuman strength and throw around a massive hammer, swords, etc but its balanced by the speed of its attack (massive damage but only if it hits).

The problem with rolling however is the cost to return, in the souls games there is very little benefit to a slow dodge (obviously) and this would work just fine if it was a single-player only game but as you know its not, it costs you time and leaves you open and then there are the stamina effects of slow movement.
    But a fast roll allows increased speed of movement and maneuverability a faster recovery time and far too many I-frames, inherently the advantages of fast rolling are Superior to armor, so why should you be able to wear something with it that allows you to survive the hits you failed to dodge?
    I feel lights should be dodge or die more or less while heavies should take a somewhat reduced damage while rolling still be susceptible to attack.
    once again thank you for responding, I'll keep your comments in mind.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:42 pm

I can see what you mean for sure. I wouldn't mind some tweaks honestly. For me, it might be as easy as making bigger gaps between armor sets.

For example, the weight of heavy armor gets even heavier making it harder to achieve a medium or fast roll without a major sacrifice (like my Black Iron example where I had to invest like crazy to get a 120 to fast roll with it, only more so).

Also necessary though would be the defensive abilities. Right now there's not a huge gap in defense at least as it applies to PvP. I do more damage to clothing than I do to Havel or Giant's armor but not significant enough to justify making heavy armors weigh more. While it works out pretty well now, I don't see the current differences being viable under my "make heavy armors" heavier idea.

Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:01 pm

A lot of the game goes into planning these things. Having them preset for you totally ruins the fun.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am