Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

SL 1 NG+7 Fresh start challenge

vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

SL 1 NG+7 Fresh start challenge Empty SL 1 NG+7 Fresh start challenge

Post by vageta31 Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:34 pm

For those looking for the ultimate "legitimate" Dark Souls challenge, you may be interested in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfuQ8U00BLc
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

SL 1 NG+7 Fresh start challenge Empty Re: SL 1 NG+7 Fresh start challenge

Post by Dibsville Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:34 pm

Good to see you back! cheers
    Definitely be trying it. big grin
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:44 pm

So just to be clear, are we staying at SL1, or is the intent just to turn the difficulty all the way up?

I'd like to get the PC version because I want to add Black Phantoms to the challenge if one can level up.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Yes, he mentions several times that you will be staying SL 1 throughout the playthrough.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:56 pm

You stay at level 1. The idea of the challenge is that much of the difficulty of ng+ is lost due to starting out with fully upgraded gear which cheapens the first half of the game. This takes that advantage away and forces you through ng+ with nothing. Earning that gear and being limited in damage from the start makes it a whole new ballgame. Ng+7 gargs with only +5 weapons is quite challenging.
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 am

Well, there's challenging, then there's smashing your head against a brick wall until it cracks, it'll break eventually, but sheesh...
    Wouldn't NG+7 get tedious? And how much more difficult is it from NG+?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:09 am

I find an SL1 challenge destroys the entire purpose of Dark Souls, i've never understood why people like these challenges. At SL1, on NG7, every mob in the game is just going to one-shot you, while it takes ages to kill them... for not liking Artificial Difficulty, you honestly constructed a challenge filled with a large amount of it.

If I had the ability to set the game to NG7, I would probably also find a way in cheat engine to set it so that Black Phantoms spawned, and would not take the master key. This would force me to play through the game without any shortcuts, and even with leveling up would make my journey absolute hell, honestly, even -if- I summoned people on the journey. To add to the challenge I'd force myself to always have the cat covenant ring on, which reduces my ring slots to 1 while making me have to go through area's expediantly to avoid PvP, which would possibly result in heading back to the start of the level.

I think I'd find it far more challenging than simply forcing myself to stick at level 1, getting one shot by enemies that take half a century to kill.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:11 am

If I remember correctly, it's 144% harder.
    The only things that won't one shot you are the Dregling and a handful of hollow soldiers. With the exception of maybe multi-hit enemies like wheel skeletons hitting you once. Although with unupgraded gear and 0 humanity, you should expect to get one shot.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:06 am

Rynn wrote:I find an SL1 challenge destroys the entire purpose of Dark Souls, i've never understood why people like these challenges. At SL1, on NG7, every mob in the game is just going to one-shot you, while it takes ages to kill them... for not liking Artificial Difficulty, you honestly constructed a challenge filled with a large amount of it.

If I had the ability to set the game to NG7, I would probably also find a way in cheat engine to set it so that Black Phantoms spawned, and would not take the master key. This would force me to play through the game without any shortcuts, and even with leveling up would make my journey absolute hell, honestly, even -if- I summoned people on the journey. To add to the challenge I'd force myself to always have the cat covenant ring on, which reduces my ring slots to 1 while making me have to go through area's expediantly to avoid PvP, which would possibly result in heading back to the start of the level.

I think I'd find it far more challenging than simply forcing myself to stick at level 1, getting one shot by enemies that take half a century to kill.

The problem with leveling up in NG+7 is that you get so many souls that it's not hard at all. I got 62500 souls from the Gargoyles.. at SL 1 I could have gained like 30 levels or something(I made that up I don't actually know silly).

I don't think I said I didn't like artificial difficulty, I was saying that it's the only thing NG+ offers and starting out with fully upgraded gear nullifies that. I happen to enjoy the first half of the game more than the 2nd, but you can't really savor it in NG+ and beyond when you start with uber equipment. It took me 3 minutes to kill the Gargs in NG+7 with only +5 weapons and no resin.. had I went in there with a +10 fire weapon it'd have been over in 30 seconds or less which is faster than standard NG.

About the black phantoms, to my knowledge there is no pointer value that can change that or I'd have added that as well.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:10 am

I think anyone that has experience with dark souls, such as yourself, knows that leveling up doesn't actually offer all too much in the way of advantages, it just increases the options available to the character. If I've begun with no gear, than it's rather simple to imagine that even if I was SL200, my +5 gear would have some difficulty with the gargoyles.

I imagine a tweak I would personally pull on your challenge, would be to declare that if I die, I am not permitted to go retrieve my blood stain, and so to use those souls I'm obtaining, I'd be forced to survive to return to the bonfire. To make certain this is actually a problem, I'd restrict myself from ever using the same bonfire twice in a row.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:59 pm