Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+28
Lorrac ESP
EeAyEss
Maneater_Mildred
xRamenatorx
ExplodingPenguin
Dibsville
Zeta Prime
Animaaal
ResIsBestStat
KrazykevS10
crbngville2
Soris Ice Goldwing
reim0027
Forum Pirate
Elifia
goober0331
steveswede
TheMeInTeam
Solid Knight
Nybbles
Jansports
VaDoom
xenon_nobelium
CephGabriel
Rynn
Werdax
AnCapaillMor
phastings
32 posters

Here's to hoping they greatly narrow the backstab hitbox for DKS II

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Here's to hoping they greatly narrow the backstab hitbox for DKS II - Page 5 Empty Re: Here's to hoping they greatly narrow the backstab hitbox for DKS II

Post by Animaaal Mon May 20, 2013 3:46 pm

xRamenatorx wrote:...Lol, i edited that. Dont take any offense just showing xD....

Okay cool. Because if I accidentally did that, the very first thing I would do would be to stop the argument and apologize immediately.

Then I would edit the post, and continue the discussion later.

And just one last thing, "tele-stabs" are a bigger problem than anything you or I could come up with concerning a ".000000001" second backstab immunity, or 1/4 sec, or 1/200th of a second.

I just dont see how someone could gain backstab immunity when you can only be successful for being offensive. Even if your offensive play is defensive in nature.

Also, this has been discussed before as the "most simple" fix. A backstab counter animation would require a huge undertaking as compared to this which would be relatively simple.

Are there a couple drawbacks? Sure. However, gaining the ability to successfully roll away from your opponent would compensate for any minor tweaks people would have to make in their playstyle.
    O1va_
    O1va_
    Regular
    Regular

Here's to hoping they greatly narrow the backstab hitbox for DKS II - Page 5 Empty Re: Here's to hoping they greatly narrow the backstab hitbox for DKS II

Post by O1va_ Mon May 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Animaaal wrote:PS-You gotta admit (without the "no-lag" hopes we all have) the more you think about it, the more it grows on ya. lol

All I can think about is trying to BS someone and it being like trying to hit someone wearing DWGR with a slow weapon.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Fri May 24, 2013 1:05 am

Landing a backstab should be hard to pull off, as opposed to easy and everyone just uses it as the standard. As long as they make it harder to land, people will not exploit it and will think twice before committing. I want to feel like I am to blame for letting someone get the drop on me, instead of feeling cheated by a flaw in the mechanics. Everything else about the game is solid in terms of collision detection, movement, and weight
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Fri May 24, 2013 10:51 am

1A) the backstab hit box should be changed so you have to actually be at someone's back before you cab backstab them, not slightly to their side or at their shoulder.

1B) also, backstabs should be tweaked so that the best weapons to backstab someone with isn't a great club or ultra greatsword. these aren't finesse weapons like daggers or rapiers, they are smashy smashy weapons. perhaps different classes of weapons could have different hit boxes?

2) i feel the length of the backstab animation is fine but the animation should be more brutal and the attacker should be kicked back from their victim at the end of the animation to put some distance between them.

3) not originally my idea, you cannot backstab someone if they are aware of you, in other words, while they are locked on to you unless it is to punish a mistake like casting a spell at the wrong time or whiffing on an attack. no more of this circle jerk. you want sneaky sneaky? try backstabbing someone before they even know you are there or have had enough time to react (lock on).

4) the damage boost seems fine to me, it's the ability to stack buffs that results in those redonculous numbers.

5) i don't want shields that are worn on the back to protect against backstabs, i don't want a ring that makes you immune to backstabs, what i do want is for the karmic justice spell to detonate if i get backstabbed.

6) dedicated servers won't solve latency or lagstabs. improved net coding and faster internet connections might help but it still wouldn't make the issue disappear.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Fri May 31, 2013 5:22 am

i have a question: In PVP, why is it that blocking with a shield seems to have no lag, meaning I experience no phantom hit damage when I am quick to use my shield right as an opponents weapon is inbound, but backstabs do? Is it a consequence of the animation triggered that interrupts both players?

If they could do away with the animation, maybe they would not be so bad. There could still be a fast independent motion of the backstabbers sword going thru the opponents torso, while not locking opponent into the animation. Or perhaps if they limit the animation only to when it will be a kill shot. Maybe make varying degrees of a backstab; from bad placement to perfect, narrowing the hitbox down to the hardest/deadliest BS, which gets the animation
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Fri May 31, 2013 6:00 am

@ Animal. The problem with giving the player Immunity to anything for say 1/2 a second after pressing the block button, is there is nothing stopping the player from taping the block button once every half second while their opponent is attempting to BS them. It effectively removes backstabs from the game.

Besides that, I don't think it's even an issue of mechanics. Clearly tele-stabs are the result of lag, not any intended feature or combat mechanic. They're no different than phantom range and such and so the solution should be in net code.

Besides counter BSing, pivot parries, ect. Are all functional and viable retorts to the backstab. Sometimes you'll eat a BS because you got roll BSed for sticking out an unsafe attack or trying to cast a lengthy spell while under duress.

Backstabs serve a specific purpose in PvP and without them, thing would be all out of whack.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Fri May 31, 2013 10:03 pm

I find that the purpose of back stabs In pvp is always marred by ppl exploiting the lag. It's so much more satisfying to fight out a long duel with someone when neither parties are trying to land a bs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:11 am