Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
Elifia
xenon_nobelium
kazumoshi
Slarg232
Maneater_Mildred
Seignar
Saturday-Saint
Forum Pirate
Rifter7
Nybbles
Serious_Much
densetsushun
FinPeku
Jovias-86
LunarFog
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Rynn
Animaaal
CrackSouls
Ghadis_God
lordgodofhell
SirArchmage
Dibsville
Glutebrah
28 posters

WTH is the point of a quality build..

Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

WTH is the point of a quality build.. - Page 2 Empty Re: WTH is the point of a quality build..

Post by Glutebrah Wed May 15, 2013 1:18 am

well yea 40/40 builds are obviously superior.. but that takes you out of the SL100 range.

Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

WTH is the point of a quality build.. - Page 2 Empty Re: WTH is the point of a quality build..

Post by Glutebrah Wed May 15, 2013 1:21 am

LunarFog wrote:...God, I f***ing love your face Glute

WTH is the point of a quality build.. - Page 2 155qu0j
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed May 15, 2013 3:55 am

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=463945303852478174

heres a lvl 100 40/40, though it is a dragon...
    Jovias-86
    Jovias-86
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jovias-86 Wed May 15, 2013 3:58 am

Hey Glute...

What about Zwei, GS, Mura, Server...
    You missed out on a few there winking
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Wed May 15, 2013 5:50 am

People often think that if you make a quality build, you HAVE to use c/c scaling weapons or you are wasting points. Halberd and Claymore are both very good weapons, but you can also use almost any str or dex weapon effectively and that gives you a lot of options. Since you brought up bss and msgs, then how about a build like this: http://mmdks.com/2bve Personally, i prefer claymore because of the moveset and range but that build is just a quick example of what i'm trying to say. I don't make quality builds for the extra AR, but for the versatility.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed May 15, 2013 7:02 am

I love quality builds, ideally 40/40 is the way to go but going that route means sacrificing poise or vit, and I'm inclined to sacrifice neither, so 28/40 it is(which also opens up the Mura). As for why I like quality builds, I love straightswords and greatswords, and while the damage isn't spectacular the movesets are nice. If you've ever fought Finpeku or seen X fight, you'll know straightswords are no joke.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Wed May 15, 2013 10:48 am

yea, i guess i made this thread when on my 27/100 build i made for the Sunlight Straight sword i came to the realization that BSS, was stronger, faster, longer and i felt like i wasted alot of points and it was no different then my dex build except had lower life and end. And that made me kinda disappointed.

i will prolly make a 40/40 120 build though.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 am

To me a quality build is just for variety in weapons, using non elemental weapons.

For me though, a quality build would be better having minimum stats for weapons you want, elemental weapons then pumping the rest of the stats into a type of magic for some kick *** firepower.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Wed May 15, 2013 11:10 am

the very best reason to make a 28/40 quality build is the murakumo.

the next best reason is that dex scaling falls off the cliff at 40 so might as well put the extra points into strength as lots of weapons can benefit from that, even if all they have is E scaling.

28/40 also gives you the best possible AR for the vast majority of the weapons in the game, the difference in AR on a 40/40 build is only around 5 points while two handing your weapon.

in my opinion, the only reason to have more than 28 strength is to meet weapon requirements and there's no reason to not have at least 28 strength. unless you are going for a pure dex build (no strength scaling weapons at all) .

i also find that dexterity scales better than strength, well at least until you hit 40 because it doesn't have the same x1.5 effect applied when two handing.

so, 28/40 might actually be the closest thing to a perfect melee build you can get in Dark Souls.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed May 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Move set.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed May 15, 2013 2:59 pm

The zweihander is all the reason one needs
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Wed May 15, 2013 5:54 pm

lordgodofhell wrote:I have always seen quality builds as an intentional waste of points in order to feel better while dueling. It follows the same logic of people with high dex and no slots, or the guy using the moonlight greatsword with no slots.

This is the pinnacle of nonsense.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Wed May 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:
    lordgodofhell wrote:I have always seen quality builds as an intentional waste of points in order to feel better while dueling. It follows the same logic of people with high dex and no slots, or the guy using the moonlight greatsword with no slots.

This is the pinnacle of nonsense.

Allow me to go further in depth so that you can better understand.

There is no advantage to a quality build over one purely made for either dex or strength. Those pure builds will always have more hp than the quality build while still hitting hard.

The small Ar increase one gets from 40/40 (which should be 27/40) can be replaced by gold pine for practically the same outputs. While maintaining higher health.

People feel better when they can use all the weps on one build which is what I meant by "feel better" dueling. However, games been out a while, having 2 builds, one dex other strength is wiser.

Having no slots with high dex or mlgs would be nonsense... But far from the Dark Souls "pinnacle" of non sense.

I hope that helped as I am not the confrontational type.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Wed May 15, 2013 6:57 pm

I would make a long post, but I already done the same thing with Quality about 3 times now...

Quality builds are good for these reasons:

1) They have variety, so you can play around with the character. This is a non-practical reason.
    2) They can save weight because most of their weapons have similar AR for less weight (especially with STR) and have other advantages (The Zwei and Greatsword stunlock; WP has range).
    3) 40/40/15/- hurts...a lot...with anything.
    4) They are the favorite of players that don't concern themselves much with HP or would use the FaP...like me.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed May 15, 2013 6:58 pm

@lordgodofhell
    i take it you don't quick swap weapons at all, at 40/40 you can use every weapon but the magic ones to full potential, that means a alot if you switch weapons midcombat, also ever tried dual wielding a spear in the off hand with a large str weapon?, thay balance each others weaknesses quite well.
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=493469167233071366
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Wed May 15, 2013 7:16 pm

These last 2 posts^ sum me up perfect.

A 40/40 dual wielding a demon spear, claymor combo has got to be one of the greastest combos in the game, or maybe that's just me.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Wed May 15, 2013 7:40 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:@lordgodofhell
    i take it you don't quick swap weapons at all, at 40/40 you can use every weapon but the magic ones to full potential, that means a alot if you switch weapons midcombat, also ever tried dual wielding a spear in the off hand with a large str weapon?, thay balance each others weaknesses quite well.
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=493469167233071366

I mean I have tried every tactic in this game. Quick swapping included. Off hand spears all that jazzy stuff is cool.

Your build is actually really cool. I hate the Giants chest piece but that's just me.

My main playstyle (back when I played) was along these lines http://mmdks.com/2c3a

And for Strength http://mmdks.com/2c3e
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed May 15, 2013 8:21 pm

lordgodofhell wrote:...Having no slots with high dex or mlgs would be nonsense...

I'm not judging or anything, but that statement got me thinking...

....No Attunement MLGS???

I know you could switch for the Hollow Soldiers Panies and MoF or whatever, but it looks playable to me. Shrug

Again, I was just curious so I started using monkey.

***edit***

Back on topic:

I never used a quality build with regularity, but some of the builds on mugen look fun I guess.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Wed May 15, 2013 8:44 pm

It allows you to use the Great Club to weaken the opponent/make them sure you're slow, and then pull out the Baller Swag Sword to finish them off.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed May 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Maneater_Mildred wrote:These last 2 posts^ sum me up perfect.

A 40/40 dual wielding a demon spear, claymor combo has got to be one of the greastest combos in the game, or maybe that's just me.

Having been on the receiving end on that combo before I can vouch for it's ridiculous ability silly
    kazumoshi
    kazumoshi
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by kazumoshi Wed May 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Animaaal wrote:
    lordgodofhell wrote:...Having no slots with high dex or mlgs would be nonsense...

I'm not judging or anything, but that statement got me thinking...

....No Attunement MLGS???

I know you could switch for the Hollow Soldiers Panies and MoF or whatever, but it looks playable to me. Shrug

Again, I was just curious so I started using monkey.

***edit***

Back on topic:

I never used a quality build with regularity, but some of the builds on mugen look fun I guess.

What he's implying is that with all the points you've invested into int, it is a waste to not accommodate spells into your build.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed May 15, 2013 9:56 pm

kazumoshi wrote:...What he's implying is that with all the points you've invested into int, it is a waste to not accommodate spells into your build....

Thanks, but I know what he's implying, and I would tend to agree with it as well. I'm familiar with mages and attunement/s.

I was just wondering if a MLGS build without any attunements would be considered a complete waste no matter what.

But again, this is kinda off-topic, sorry bout that. Shrug
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed May 15, 2013 10:15 pm

http://mmdks.com/2c55
    MLGS no slots build.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed May 15, 2013 10:19 pm

Put some clothes on you streaker!!!! Unless you're a chick....mugen is horrible about that. :|
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Thu May 16, 2013 6:46 am

No spells MLGS build is actually very good. Imagine a dex build that has flamberge and silver knight spear. Replace them with MLGS and MLBH and you got yourself a pure magic damage melee build. Something like this: http://mmdks.com/2c9s

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:08 am