Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
Latitoast
Tolvo
Saturday-Saint
Quarik
Dibsville
Hugh_G_Johnson
Animaaal
Forum Pirate
RANT
Ghadis_God
Dusk Soul
Nybbles
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Glutebrah
divinebeanpole
DemonOfFate
skarekrow13
Brigade
KrazykevS10
LunarFog
User1
barrywilkins
26 posters

Dexterity is...bleh

Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Dexterity is...bleh - Page 2 Empty Re: Dexterity is...bleh

Post by Quarik Tue May 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Murakumo is technically a dex weapon... While it may be spam R1, it provides a few interesting challenges to use it on a low-level build.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Tue May 21, 2013 10:46 pm

barrywilkins wrote:"use this r1 until the enemy goes down"
    Let's review the toolset each weapon is given:

-Light Attack (R1)
    -Rolling Attack (R1)
    -Running Attack (R1)
    -Push/Dodge Attack (R1)
    -Heavy Attack (R2)
    -Jumping Attack (R2)

Heavy attacks on most weapons are unsafe and at best serve a niche use. A few weapons have good reliable heavy attacks. Most of these are dexterity weapons. Jumping attacks almost never get used in PvP.

This complaint is vacuous. Every weapon's gameplay consists of pressing R1 a lot.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue May 21, 2013 10:59 pm

I'd say the only time that is really strongly different is the use of large hammers.

Then it is using Rolling R1 a lot while rarely(If ever) using the normal R1.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Tue May 21, 2013 11:00 pm

I pretty much only use Dex if I really want to win or something.

Strength is infinitely more fun to play, especially slower weapons like great hammers and greataxes.

Dex is terribly boring, I feel like being able to quickly attack your opponent and then run away is bland, but when I see my greataxe deal incredibly amounts of damage in one hit it satisfies me every time.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Tue May 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Tolvo wrote:I'd say the only time that is really strongly different is the use of large hammers.

Then it is using Rolling R1 a lot while rarely(If ever) using the normal R1.
    When I cosplayed Havel I made it a point to use the R1 and R2s on it, and try to use the rolling attacks as little as possible.

I didn't do too bad.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Wed May 22, 2013 5:43 am

Yeah, some People play to win most of the Time .
    I'm not a STR or DEX casul, get on my level and use Dual Bonewheel Shields .

All jokes aside i don't agree with OP here, as Saturday Saint said the R2s of most Weapons are unsafe to use .

And almost every Weapon also has it's flaws, for example the Falchion has a bad R2 and you cannot kick with it, Katanas are pretty heavy for a DEX Weapon and the BSS sometimes just won't drop .
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed May 22, 2013 6:02 am

Also the bss doesn't have an r1 attack.

It's the buffs with dex weapons that get me. Falchion, dmb, slb 2 hand run and swing, miss a parry and you're screwed.
    wretchedsausage
    wretchedsausage
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by wretchedsausage Wed May 22, 2013 7:58 am

First of all, I'll address the complaints about movesets. because of the nature of the control system, movesets are limited to six moves. A possible way to revise this in DkS2 would be to have moveset determinant on equipment load, or some other variable factor. this would not only make pvp more variable, but make it far more difficult to anticipate what your opponent will do.

The only problem with R1 spammers is that most people don't take the time to learn how to counter them. As we all know, Dark Souls is a game which doesn't have an ultimate setup, and almost any combination of equipment can be effective in the right hands.

Powerful weapon buffs like DMB and SLB do make dexterity weapons almost unreasonably powerful, but the same can also be said for STR weapons. a buffed DEX weapon may be able to finish a fight with just a couple of hits, but an equally buffed STR weapon can often end it in one.

It isn't fare to complain about the weapons themselves, but the unoriginal way that a large demographic of users have decided to use them. I understand how frustrating it can be to be decimated by a DMB Katana to the face, but it's just part of the game. dark Souls doesn't have top-tier weapons, and everything can be countered by something else, so there really isn't any point trying to argue that one classes or multiple classes are "overpowered" or "noobish" or "unsportsmanlike".

Please understand that I am not attacking those people who think this way, but am merely trying to show them things from a different perspective.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed May 22, 2013 9:29 am

Quarik wrote:Murakumo is technically a dex weapon... While it may be spam R1, it provides a few interesting challenges to use it on a low-level build.
    The Mura's strength is dead angling and stunlock. Pressing R1 while unlocked can be deadly. So, it is not just R1 spam, it is R1 and R3 spam. And, there is the run R1 and R2-R2. Many people don't expect that second R2 and will rush you.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Wed May 22, 2013 10:59 am

wretchedsausage wrote:First of all, I'll address the complaints about movesets. because of the nature of the control system, movesets are limited to six moves. A possible way to revise this in DkS2 would be to have moveset determinant on equipment load, or some other variable factor. this would not only make pvp more variable, but make it far more difficult to anticipate what your opponent will do.

The only problem with R1 spammers is that most people don't take the time to learn how to counter them. As we all know, Dark Souls is a game which doesn't have an ultimate setup, and almost any combination of equipment can be effective in the right hands.

Powerful weapon buffs like DMB and SLB do make dexterity weapons almost unreasonably powerful, but the same can also be said for STR weapons. a buffed DEX weapon may be able to finish a fight with just a couple of hits, but an equally buffed STR weapon can often end it in one.

It isn't fare to complain about the weapons themselves, but the unoriginal way that a large demographic of users have decided to use them. I understand how frustrating it can be to be decimated by a DMB Katana to the face, but it's just part of the game. dark Souls doesn't have top-tier weapons, and everything can be countered by something else, so there really isn't any point trying to argue that one classes or multiple classes are "overpowered" or "noobish" or "unsportsmanlike".

Please understand that I am not attacking those people who think this way, but am merely trying to show them things from a different perspective.

an even better way of adding more moves would be to have the follow-up move be different from the first.

no matter how you play or what weapon you use, R1 and R2 are the only two buttons you can press to attack. so naturally there is going to be allot of R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 with the occasional R2 put in there for good measure. so why not at least make it look like you are doing more than R1 R1 R1 by creating some nice fluid combos, perhaps 3 to 5 in a set.

take the painted guardian sword or priscilla's dagger for example. you press R2 once and you do a two hit combo, a second R2 and it's followed up with three more hits. instead of being locked into an overlong animation (where you probably missed on the first hit anyway), why not break the move set down so each R1 or R2 is only a single hit and the next R1 or R2 leads nicely into the next hit of the chain. only apply this to all weapons.

so a katana or a longsword wouldn't just go "swish, swipe, swish, swipe" they might go "swish, swipe, twirl, poke" or whatever. then it would up to the player how they wanted to chain their attacks together.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed May 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Personally, I prefer the R1-->up-->L1-->up-->up-->R1-->right-->R1 spam big grin

No seriously, since we're on the subject of improving combos, if the combos in DS2 are likethe Gold Tracer, where you are "locked in"...then I say, "No thanks, I'll pass." not me

Using the Gold Tracer combos left-handed is just asking to get backstabbed. thumbs up

PS I LOVE the new smilies. :x
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Thu May 23, 2013 7:39 am

Animaaal wrote:Personally, I prefer the R1-->up-->L1-->up-->up-->R1-->right-->R1 spam big grin

No seriously, since we're on the subject of improving combos, if the combos in DS2 are likethe Gold Tracer, where you are "locked in"...then I say, "No thanks, I'll pass." not me

Using the Gold Tracer combos left-handed is just asking to get backstabbed. thumbs up

PS I LOVE the new smilies. :x

Yes, the 'one click' combos are utter trash and frankly very disapointing and frustrating. not talking

And the new smilies are awesome; except I need the *twisted* and *evil or very mad* smilies back!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:03 pm