Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
DoughGuy
PlasticandRage
reim0027
TehInfamousAmos
twigsterxd
Dibsville
Carphil
ResIsBestStat
Slarg232
Mr. Tart
Encore
Serious_Much
16 posters

An appeal to common sense

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

An appeal to common sense Empty An appeal to common sense

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 24, 2013 6:12 pm

So as you guys may or may not know, a lot has happened in the last couple of days, and a couple members have been banned as a result. The bad thing is, they weren't that bad people, they weren't trolls. They were just being stupid.

I see people obsessing over the fact that a guy got a ban from ONE website on the internet- suddenly it's like someones been executed, there's an uproar! Complaining, and another person pushes it too far, questioning E's judgement (I read his thread before it got removed), and it's appalling and just bemused me.

The fact is I even told you guys that you shouldn't complain- I'd been in a similar situation before and I know how stupid it was in retrospect. I don't want you guys to do same as me and get bans for dumb stuff. Please, just use your heads and realise it's not worth it.

In the end, what's done is done. Let it rest. I think every last one of us will agree the admins and mods do an awesome job of running this place and being our moral compass when things start going astray, and we should trust their judgement. Unerringly.

Both of these bans could have been avoided, and they've been a case of certain individuals not thinking about what they're writing before they post, or PM. I think it should be a lesson- just remember things said here can have an impact, even if you don't think so.
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

An appeal to common sense Empty Re: An appeal to common sense

Post by Encore Fri May 24, 2013 6:25 pm

I do have to ask, Who is the other person that got banned? I also understand if that is a matter that should not be discussed.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 24, 2013 6:30 pm

DemonofFate I believe.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri May 24, 2013 6:31 pm

It's a matter of perspective, Serious. I'm not gonna lie, I have my doubts about certain people right now, but I try to stand neutral and the matter and consider everything possible. I've seen it from both the banned people's views and the views of the mods and, I came with the conclusion that, like I said, it's a matter of perspective. I know it's not all about a certain being banned for a certain post, but some things came out of that, which lead to this situation. I'm sad though, because two of my friends were banned from here.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Fri May 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Common Sense: I don't own or moderate the forums, so I listen to the people who do silly
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri May 24, 2013 6:32 pm

The recent players were from my understanding, and I assume it's fine to say it since Serious here mentioned one, Elysium, RenegadeCop and DemonOfFate. That's from what I've understood. Of course, Ren isn't entirely part of this situation, but I decided to name him as well.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 24, 2013 6:34 pm

Like I said tart, the only thing really is to learn from it and move on.

They both fell to ill judgement in sensitive subjects. We should just ensure noone else does the same.
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

Post by Encore Fri May 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Now, I have no idea what it´s all ´bout. I have my opinions, sure, but those are best kept to myself.
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Fri May 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Ok, I return from a hard week of exams to try to find out what Reneage is cooking in his pot of randomness and he gets banned...
    I'm not blaming the mods, Reneage's comment was pretty grim too, but i think the ban was rushed imo
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri May 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Indeed, that is the better option. I don't fully see why this topic is made though. If we're suppose to move on I mean. Discussing it like this will never end it. All we do is prolong it, keep it alive. We've lost Ren, Elysium and Demon. Whether they were good reasons or not does not matter, because we can't change it anyway. Discussing it won't exactly help, so we're better off just move on. That's what I think anyhow.
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Encore Fri May 24, 2013 6:38 pm

But Ren was warned... I was there for that whole ordeal...
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri May 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Tehdoomgrasp wrote:Now, I have no idea what it´s all ´bout. I have my opinions, sure, but those are best kept to myself.

I think that's good pointing out. I'm a very open person, and I would likely share my opinions with anyone. It's not like I would insult someone just because i may disagree with some of the things they do or if I doubt them. I do doubt a certain someone, I admit that, but I still respect all the work done here.

That's why I don't think sharing your thoughts on the matter would be a problem, as long as you think about what you say. There's no need to insult anyone, because at the end of the day, we all have different opinions, and that's something we all know and respect. It's what makes us us.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 24, 2013 6:41 pm

This was not created as a discussion thread.

Learn from the mistakes of others and move on.

This post was made for you all to contemplate for your own good, not comment on.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Fri May 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Its just Serious opinion.

It was a tough subject, but the past its the past, just let it go and move on.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Fri May 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Over it.
    Elysium got banned?
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri May 24, 2013 7:43 pm

From what I'm told, yes, she was. Now, since Serious didn't want this topic full of discussions, maybe it is time we get it locked?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Fri May 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Why did Elysium get banned?
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri May 24, 2013 7:46 pm

I don't know for sure and I think it's better not to discuss openly like this.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Fri May 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Serious, maybe locking it would be best bud.
    Also, not saying you did anything wrong, (I know where you're comin' from on this), but posting something like this should be locked right away to avoid what already happened here. That way no one can discuss nor question it. They will see it as a new post, maybe adding, (Please Read), to the title so it doesn't get missed or make it a locked sticky then unsticky it in a week.
    Just a suggestion bud to save hassles in the future. It used to work in a forum I modded a few years ago and people here know that if something is locked, it means end of discussion happy
    Also, gotta add that this is the best forum I've ever joined.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 24, 2013 7:57 pm

I don't wish to lock it so that if people want to ADD to the main point of this thread, they can do so. Not locking it will allow it to also stay at the top of the section long as possible so people ca see my appeal.

Still though as I said, this thread isn't a discussion. Add your words to the cause for people to move on by all means though.

Last edited by Serious_Much on Fri May 24, 2013 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Fri May 24, 2013 7:59 pm

May I say that I am intrigued that there were no consequences for Satoshi - he has been incessantly posting threads asking for advice upon how to harm himself... He is not in the right state of mind and to be honest the threads were just baiting the kind of responses that Ren gave. In my opinion the thread should have been locked pretty damn quickly considering they are either attention seeking or are liable to get other members into trouble. Now granted I am aware that no moderators were online during the time that the thread was posted and when Renegade posted his response.

I don't believe it is the Administrators or Moderators fault in this situation however I believe that it should be viewed as a dead subject - no discussion should occur about it because what's done is done. No matter how much you appeal you cannot get the bans repealed - it will just cause harm and a divide between members and moderators.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Fri May 24, 2013 8:05 pm

TehInfamousAmos wrote:May I say that I am intrigued that there were no consequences for Satoshi - he has been incessantly posting threads asking for advice upon how to harm himself... He is not in the right state of mind and to be honest the threads were just baiting the kind of responses that Ren gave. In my opinion the thread should have been locked pretty damn quickly considering they are either attention seeking or are liable to get other members into trouble. Now granted I am aware that no moderators were online during the time that the thread was posted and when Renegade posted his response.

I don't believe it is the Administrators or Moderators fault in this situation however I believe that it should be viewed as a dead subject - no discussion should occur about it because what's done is done. No matter how much you appeal you cannot get the bans repealed - it will just cause harm and a divide between members and moderators.
    Deep down, I thought this as well.
    While I have ABSOLUTELY nothing against Satoshi, he's a friend and all, the threads were kind of egging people on to do something stupid.

Ren just happened to be the victim.

There's a reason I never posted in those threads. (Exception to when I said that life will eventually get better).
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Fri May 24, 2013 9:58 pm

TehInfamousAmos wrote:May I say that I am intrigued that there were no consequences for Satoshi - he has been incessantly posting threads asking for advice upon how to harm himself... He is not in the right state of mind and to be honest the threads were just baiting the kind of responses that Ren gave. In my opinion the thread should have been locked pretty damn quickly considering they are either attention seeking or are liable to get other members into trouble. Now granted I am aware that no moderators were online during the time that the thread was posted and when Renegade posted his response.

Amos drop in the chat sometime!
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Fri May 24, 2013 10:13 pm

This can turn into a very heated topic fast. Let's keep this squarely on topic about thinking about your posts and their implications, rather than discussing people's bans and their merit.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri May 24, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm glad to see a thread like this because I've been looking to say something about all this, and haven't really had an appropriate place to do it. Despite the fact that I haven't been terribly involved in all this, I haven't been able to help reading some of these posts and threads, as am sure a lot of us have. It's also been difficult, at least for me, to not feel somewhat invested in these things as a longtime part this community. Having said all that, I feel like it's necessary to say that the admins and mods aren't only here simply to insure our behavior, but also are members of this community that are very deserving of our trust and respect, not only as founders, and members that come here to enjoy the place the same way anyone else does, but also as members that have worked to keep this place together and maintain what it is. I think as members, especially the more active ones, it's our responsibility to show them our appreciation for that work not just by conforming to that behavior, though that is still important, but also to show them respect by trusting them. I trust that when decisions like these are made that they're made for good reason, and that they aren't taken lightly. I think to some degree we owe them that trust as a community. After reading all that happened, I just can't help feeling a bit disappointed that they were being hassled and, in my mind, disrespected like that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:49 am