Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
meridam99
djgq42
The_Tao
7 posters

Parrying in PvP

The_Tao
    The_Tao
    Casual
    Casual

Parrying in PvP Empty Parrying in PvP

Post by The_Tao Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Parries, we all love them. I have had no success making a riposte happen on a live player. I know the target shield and parrying dagger are the best bet when it comes to timing. My questions are,

Do you consistintly > 40% achieve the parrying animation?

if so, how do you deal with latency?

djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Parrying in PvP Empty Re: Parrying in PvP

Post by djgq42 Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:24 pm

i actually like rapiers for parrying. it think they might be quicker than the parrying dagger.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:26 pm

I successfully parry may 1 in 5-6 in PVP, in PVE I am at like 95% (If I know the moveset of the enemy already).

Another Shield great for parrying is the Buckler.

Heater shield is good as well as you can spam L2 as it has a quick parry animation.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:31 pm

As far as parry SPEEDS go, there are three, fast, medium and slow. The difference between the parrying dagger target shield and the buckler compared to everything else is the window of time to get the riposte. You get an extra fraction of a second.

As far as parrying in PvP, if you're lagging its all about luck, unless you're super skilled and can compensate for lag. Sometimes its easier to parry and then go for a backstab, less timing to worry about. Also I believe there may be a way to escape a riposte by attacking much like you can escape a backstab by attacking.
    The_Tao
    The_Tao
    Casual
    Casual

Post by The_Tao Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:42 pm

ErrJon6661 wrote:As far as parry SPEEDS go, there are three, fast, medium and slow. The difference between the parrying dagger target shield and the buckler compared to everything else is the window of time to get the riposte. You get an extra fraction of a second.

Do you mean to start the parry animations, or once they're weapon is cleared and you riposte?
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:43 pm

@Err

But the parrying dagger, and shields with same parrying animation, have a delay in their parry. They're actually slower than rapiers and small shields to parry with, so they're not great for online, since you need to compensate for lag and the parry delay.

I agree that parrying in PvP is a lot about luck. The skill isn't in knowing how to compensate for lag as it is being able to predict when your opponent will attack. Since the lag is completely inconsistent (never the same from one fight to another) you can't accurately compensate for it. You can get good at predicting your enemy, though (it's one thing you learn from playing online a lot, in any game, that most people are extremely predictable! And the best skill to develop is to be unpredictable).
    Liff Daddy
    Liff Daddy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Liff Daddy Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:45 pm

It seems the only thing I'm successful at when it comes to PvP is parrying silly.

I've only used the Silver Knight Shield for PvP so far and I've been fortunate to get 5 parries in 9 duels. Unfortunately I've lost 8 of them silly.
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:45 pm

@BLA1NE

i actually got the idea for using rapiers for parrying from you and have been trying it today for the first time. thanks! has anyone ever used the shotel for parrying?
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Haha, let me know how it works!

If you're up against ultra-greatswords, it's cake to parry! Those are so slow you can actually parry when you see them initiate their attack, rather than predict it. And it's extremely satisfying to pull off, since you actually timed it rather than random-parry. If your opponent is wielding a huge weapon, be ready to parry!

If you're up against smaller weapons, it's best to try and parry when they start spamming R1. Otherwise, since their attack animation is so quick, in most fights you'll have to predict the parry, and that isn't so fun or rewarding. I've had a few fights where the lag was optimal and I was able to parry by looking at my opponent's swing, but those are rare. When you're up against a small weapon, don't give your intention away. Let them spam R1 before trying to parry. Otherwise, if they know you're out to parry them, they might be vigilant about the spamming, and good luck parrying then!
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:13 pm

@BLAINE the speed of the animation. All parries minus the special ones like the parrying dagger give you the same window to attack. Different parries have different speeds however and the special ones do have a slight delay. The easiest ones in my opinion are the fast ones like the rapier, daggers, small shields and heater shield.
    Unforseen
    Unforseen
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Unforseen Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:55 pm

i used this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1G8Vhxz3YQ to help me out with parrying in pvp. Also he is rank 2 in the book of guilty for xbox so take a look at his other videos because he isnt all that bad.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am