Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+39
Odinbear
Juutas
Mr. Tart
reim0027
IV_Mark_VI
Jansports
CrackSouls
Slarg232
XachAttack
EarthScraper
IIdoneus
CephGabriel
Brigade
lordgodofhell
Sneezer
Uparkaam
AnCapaillMor
shadowzninjaz
StiffNipples
Carphil
twigsterxd
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Satoshi
Forum Pirate
Maneater_Mildred
Animaaal
WaffleGuy
Werdax
GrinTwist
tonberryking01
Nightmare Moon
LunarFog
Sentiel
Serious_Much
Marino.
Soris Ice Goldwing
KrazykevS10
Ghadis_God
Dibsville
43 posters

Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest)

Poll

Why didn't you duel-wield?

[ 12 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_lcap20%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [20%] 
    [ 9 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_lcap15%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [15%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_lcap3%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [3%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_lcap12%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [12%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_lcap12%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [12%] 
    [ 13 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_lcap22%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [22%] 
    [ 9 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_lcap15%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [15%] 

Total Votes: 59
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 Empty Re: Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest)

Post by KrazykevS10 Sun May 26, 2013 9:54 pm

I like the best dual wield combo,left fist and right fist.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 Empty Re: Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest)

Post by Ghadis_God Mon May 27, 2013 12:02 am

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:off hand demons spear and main hand curved sword, they actually combo together quite well, and i had a shield as a back up when neede any way so...
    That's probably one of the best combos in the game if you play hard to win. Spear gives total range control, curved sword can fight unlocked, cancel bs, break poise, and has the highest DPS of any weapon class if you're forced to go toe to toe. I would venture DS offhand GT right hand is the best combination in the game.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon May 27, 2013 12:29 am

part of why i stopped, it got easy, dark souls should not be easy.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Mon May 27, 2013 1:38 am

I was always fond of my Moonlight warrior, Butterfly Horn in the left, Moonlight GS as the main, no spells all melee.
    Had range, a weak block, a shooty sword, and it didn't really matter that I had no parry as I was bloody useless at them anyway
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 3358384175
    shadowzninjaz
    shadowzninjaz
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by shadowzninjaz Mon May 27, 2013 5:21 am

i use 2 duel wield but i find most combos cant chain well together but theres still the great ones out there also find a shield 2 be more viable but my duel wield probs be an old des 1 uchi n wing spear combo big grin
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Mon May 27, 2013 5:26 am

Tried it once and got absolutely obliterated, trying it out in a FC was probably a bad idea.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Mon May 27, 2013 2:31 pm

I've mostly used pole-arms, curved swords and fist weapons in the off-hand. One of my favourite combinations is the BKGA in right hand and one of the halberds in left hand.
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Mon May 27, 2013 3:26 pm

I've had success with dual wielding a number of weapons, but after experimenting for a while, I've found that shields are just so much better in almost every situation tactically and defensively, that there is really no comparison in a general overlook.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Mon May 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Off hand Ptg. Fast and really helps if your main is a slow wep.

Also, the parry combo you can do with it and say a rapier Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) - Page 2 1866257299

To get used to duel wielding, I originally equipped a shield and off hand wep in my 2 LH slots. Used the wep against slightly less skilled opponents. Slowly weaned off of the shield.

Still, against the most bad *** of bad asses, I would at least run a small leather shield.
    Brigade
    Brigade
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Brigade Mon May 27, 2013 4:20 pm

I always dual wield. How else would I hold both my sword and my shield?

Anyone who believes that a shield isn't a weapon, has no idea how to use one.
    CephGabriel
    CephGabriel
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CephGabriel Mon May 27, 2013 5:44 pm

When using my now beloved G-Scythe (which I two hand) I keep priscilla's dagger in the off hand.

Not only does it look badass when sheathed, but when I think I'm close to bleeding them, I run up to them and rather than run past them and DA them with the scythe (which they are used to being attacked to by now) I run straight up to them and spam the hell out of them with the super bleedy priscilla's, nearly always catches them out xD
    IIdoneus
    IIdoneus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Here but there. In all places, yet only a few locations.

Post by IIdoneus Mon May 27, 2013 9:08 pm

I enjoy dual wielding the shotel and ricard's rapier. Aside from those, nothing else ever really worked for me.
    EarthScraper
    EarthScraper
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by EarthScraper Mon May 27, 2013 9:10 pm

Never appealed to me, I don't see any major perks from dual wielding
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Mon May 27, 2013 9:19 pm

My play-style is very defensive, so I need a shield in order to function properly.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Mon May 27, 2013 9:26 pm

I've never been a fan of duel Wielding, so I never tried it.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Mon May 27, 2013 9:49 pm

I like to duel wield, but most of the combinations I've tried didn't work out. One of my SL100 will duel wield katanas frequently, but I almost always lose. Spear in left hand does better for him, though.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Mon May 27, 2013 9:50 pm

IIdoneus wrote:I enjoy dual wielding the shotel and ricard's rapier. Aside from those, nothing else ever really worked for me.

Does the left hand swing for the Shotel go through shields like an R2?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon May 27, 2013 9:51 pm

CrackSouls wrote:
    IIdoneus wrote:I enjoy dual wielding the shotel and ricard's rapier. Aside from those, nothing else ever really worked for me.

Does the left hand swing for the Shotel go through shields like an R2?
    No.
    Falchion is better off-hand because of extra range.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue May 28, 2013 3:35 am

Curved swords. - Parry. Because of their quick horizontal slashes they are good tools to keep a BS fisher from getting too friendly with your ribs. Their quick attacks also make them good in slugfest exchanges.

Daggers - Parry. Very similar in use to most curved swords, except not quite as long and a little quicker (!) with one notable difference. some of the best options here have Bleed. Prissy's Dagger has a whooping 500 bleed value, which if used to set off a bleed built up opponent makes short work of them. The Bandit's knife only has 300 bleed, but if you're looking for a fast parrying offhand to pair with a MH that bleeds and you can't make the Reqs or have enough scaling to use Prissy's an elemental Bandit Knife can mess a turtle up, causing bleed and doing chip with every one of it's lightning quick swings. Of course there's the parrying dagger, which has a special window for parry timing. It's offensive use isn't as robust as the other daggers but it's a strong option none the less

Trusting swords - Parry. Another weapon that can parry that features quick as heck attacks from the offhand. Only these are out stretched pokes with a pointy object. The mail breaker weighs an astoundingly low 0.5 and the heaviest (and longest) of the trusting swords, the estoc, weighs 3 units. The Rapier is 1.5 and sports a meaningful length compared to the breaker (which is small) and is perhaps the most chosen option of the thrusting swords for it's quick reaching pokes and tiny weight (half that of most shields!)

Spears - Block. Spears are like bigger trusting swords in the offhand, except that they cannot parry. But if part of your plan is keeping that guy away from you by threatening him the length of a spear and it's quick pokes make it a great tool, With careful play you can get a good 2-3 pokes in before they even get in range of your mainhand weapon.
    Note: The Halberd acts like a spear in the offhand, right down to the benefiting from the leo ring

Whips - Parry. One of the most underused tools in the box, whips cannot be parried, have no critical attacks and low AR even with investment in Dex (compared to like every other dex weapon) But anything that lets you parry in the offhand will have some use and the whip is no exception Even better the Notched whip is a bleed weapon, giving it a second way to be useful. And finally an attack, though weak and not all that fast, that cannot be parried by an opponent. It adds yet another yomi level to mind games, and can serve as a great mix up when paired with a weapon that tends to get parried often while being 1h.

I've grown very sleepy and can't finish all my thoughts on offhand options right now, perhaps sometime after I sleep I can finish this/make it less rambly.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Tue May 28, 2013 4:03 am

When I midroll, which I don't do often, with a slow weapon in the right hand, I like to keep a spear in the left for range control and to keep everyone and their mother from punishing the Str wep. This only works on a Q build of course.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed May 29, 2013 1:21 am

What is duel-wielding? Is it anything like dual-wielding?

Normally, there's some kind of ganking going on, so I don't get much practice in duels anymore. I mainly gank-wield.

Last edited by IV_Mark_VI on Wed May 29, 2013 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed May 29, 2013 1:24 am

It is a matter of skill . . . don't have it.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 am

I don't like dual wielding because I think it's poorly done in this game.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed May 29, 2013 5:19 am

reim0027 wrote:It is a matter of skill . . . don't have it.
    You're deadly with just one rapier, you don't need two.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Wed May 29, 2013 5:30 pm

I'm a little surprised that the answers people are giving are so divided, I would have thought many people would reach a more common ground on this.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:25 am