Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Wolfsbane
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
crbngville2
FexDS
raecor14
Hart
10 posters

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Empty Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Post by Hart Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:10 am

So, recently borrowed this game of a friend after he stuffed up on a trophy (do the main quest on Hard difficulty without changing, he changed), and I'm hoping to get the platinum before he wants its back.
    Anyone else played this game?
    What did you think?

I'm not to far into the main questline but it seems alright so far. Playing on hard mode obviously, cbf'd running up another character just for one trophy and its algood. Not Dark Souls beat-your-a*s-with-a-stick-and-laugh-good but pretty damn fun.
    The combat is similar to God of War, although not nearly as responsive and the magic system feels nicely balanced to me at least.
    Overall would recommend it to anyone interested in RPG's, and even gamers who aren't.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Empty Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Post by raecor14 Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:11 am

quite fun. but way too long, i lost interest.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:14 am

I bought it and still haven't gotten around to playing it... looks gorgeous and has a lot of ramifications and the possibilities within it seem fun. How many hours in are you?
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:22 am

FexDS wrote:I bought it and still haven't gotten around to playing it... looks gorgeous and has a lot of ramifications and the possibilities within it seem fun. How many hours in are you?

A little over 16 hour's in.
    In terms of the visuals/design, I gotta agree it's a beautiful gameworld. Even with armor and weapons--switching your loadout from a heavy melee focus to a mage really FEELS like a change in your character.
    Also I believe much of the concept art was penned by Todd McFarlane, the creator of the Spawn comics.
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:15 am

I really liked Reckoning. Enough so, that I put in the time to get the Platinum trophy for it. The dlc is really good too...Maybe some of the best add-on content that I have seen.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:33 am

Poor Curt Schilling... Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 3510096238

Spoiler:
    Wolfsbane
    Wolfsbane

Post by Wolfsbane Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:43 pm

I bought this as well. The plan I believe was if it was successful (good luck with virtually no marketing done) this would've become an MMO. Initially bought it because I love R.A. Salvatore's storytelling (Drizzt) and McFarlane's (Spawn) artwork. Didn't give a rat's about schilling what's he doing in the gamers universe in the irst place... anyway the other two working together sounded awesome.
    I will get back to playing it, but it is very long and has so many sidequests it's easy to lose interest.

Incidentally what was Schilling's role just financial backing? Ha Ha

FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:40 pm

I'll see if I can get into it once I finish Resi 6 and Lego lotr... but then Last of Us is just around the corner... *sigh*
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:00 pm

Resi 6, is that the one with 3 campaigns? Chris, Leon and new guy? I bought that, loaning it out to my friend. Need to get it back sometime and finish it... But just ordered Dragons Dogma and Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch... Should be here by Monday
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Never got around to buying it but I did get hooked on the game when I was playing it though, I thought it was a good game. I got something around 20 hours in of gameplay.
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:44 am

Well... 44 hours gameplay in and I'm at 30% in terms of the trophys. Still loving it, and forming an idea of what the final boss might be.
    Dragons Dogma and Ni No Kuni should be here by Monday afternoon, so I'm planning on cramming all I can into it this weekend. Don't really expect to plat by Monday but you never know...

Kind of in two minds whether I'll mish it out or switch to DD when it arrives.
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:54 am

Soooo, after just over 80 hours of gameplay I have clocked the main quest on hard mode and am at 72% towards the platinum trophy.
    The main story was great, there were times when things felt a little cliche, not too surprised since it WAS written by Salvatore, but in the end even these seeming cliches are explained and worked into an original take on a classic concept.
    My only gripe is that the last, and I mean LAST boss fight, the one that should be a grueling culmination of martial and magic prowess that tests every one of the skills you have learnt thus far... was f*cking retarded.
    The story behind it was great, the cutscenes also, but the actual mechanics of the fight were really stupid and didn't fit in with any other aspect of the games combat. So meh to that one.

But that didn't stop me from enjoying the game as a whole. I will probably leave it for the moment as I have just got Demon Souls, so I'm a bit preoccupied with my blind run through of that. But I'll definately come back to finish every little quest, side quest and random task in this game. Might even reroll and play it through again with a different character.

Oh, and while its not the biggest thing in any game, I loved the fact you could make and name your own equipment. Its a small thing but little touches like that in a game make me feel all fuzzy inside big grin
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:07 am

Penned by Salvatore and inked by MacFarlane? No wonder the game cost a mint to develop. Explains the fall of Curt Schilling. I kinda feel bad for him, despite massive dislike for him prior.
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:41 am

Hey E,

Yeah Schill lost his a$$ on this one. Worse than that, the game is really good. Reckoning even got Zel's stamp of approval (you know how picky he can be). I liked it enough to buy the dlc and spend the time to get the platinum. It also uses the Hazoc engine, so it has the same ragdoll effects as DeS and DkS. Very good cross between a tradional questing RPG and action fighting.
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:42 am

Hey there, could you give me an idea on what the DLC is like/includes?
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:51 am

The dlc is two complete new quest lines with new story, items, weps, armor, castle, etc. The Legend of Dead Kell is really great and offers you the chance to get some of the highest end componets in the game (through trade with other countries) to make the absolute baddest weps/armor in the game (better than any you can find or pick up). So if you like the blacksmithing part of the game (I loved making my own gear) then that dlc pack is a must. The oher dlc pack was good and worth buying, but wasn't as excellent as the Dead Kell one. Oh, and wait until you are near max level to do Dead Kell, because the level of componets you get from trading depends on the level of your character.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:32 pm

I finished it with almost all the sidequests completed. Something like 300 hours, can't remember exactly.  The game is *** long, and it got monotonous when I finished the elf city and went down to Adessa. At the beginning I was a full mage till I took a break of the game and when I came back I switch to finesse/mage. I wanted to try those faeblades mixed with magic and it turned out super cool. The battles were very fun but too easy, even on hard. I did like the story of the character, it was awesome. I don't think I'll be getting the platinum trophy though since my guy don't do crimes.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:22 pm

I still play it from time to time, was very fun.  Only problem is I stumbled into what apparently is a well known game breaking bug with a quest to poison a cistern such that I can't fast travel anywhere anymore.  So, not so much fun now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:17 pm