Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Jansports
TheMeInTeam
shadowzninjaz
Bontee
megaoptamas759
EeAyEss
Myztyrio
SirArchmage
Phoenix Rising
LunarFog
Leet
Carphil
Sneezer
twigsterxd
robsthedon
Dibsville
Eko
21 posters

Duel Wielding or Shields

Poll

Is a shield better than duel-wielding?

[ 20 ]
    Duel Wielding or Shields - Page 2 I_vote_lcap61%Duel Wielding or Shields - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [61%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Duel Wielding or Shields - Page 2 I_vote_lcap9%Duel Wielding or Shields - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [9%] 
    [ 10 ]
    Duel Wielding or Shields - Page 2 I_vote_lcap30%Duel Wielding or Shields - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [30%] 

Total Votes: 33
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Duel Wielding or Shields - Page 2 Empty Re: Duel Wielding or Shields

Post by SirArchmage Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Depends. I have heard stories of people winning a lot without a shield, but the only times I have died to duel-wielders were a guy that spammed the rolling claw attack, so he never even used his off hand weapon, and then died to Lunar because she had a pike offhand.

In most situations, I'd say shield is better. Even two handing would be better, though I have little experience with this aside from the many times I have taken advantage of a duel wielders lack of shield. Voted for "same" though.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:23 pm

SirArchmage wrote:Depends. I have heard stories of people winning a lot without a shield, but the only times I have died to duel-wielders were a guy that spammed the rolling claw attack, so he never even used his off hand weapon, and then died to Lunar because she had a pike offhand.

In most situations, I'd say shield is better. Even two handing would be better, though I have little experience with this aside from the many times I have taken advantage of a duel wielders lack of shield. Voted for "same" though.
    Come to PS3.
    You'll change your mind.
    It's like duel-wielder city here.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:44 pm

SirArchmage wrote:Depends. I have heard stories of people winning a lot without a shield, but the only times I have died to duel-wielders were a guy that spammed the rolling claw attack, so he never even used his off hand weapon, and then died to Lunar because she had a pike offhand.

d'aww. stop it you 
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:06 pm

TooLeet wrote:Do you have a build for just a rapier without magic? Or what would be the best rapier for a dex build? Or should i say what's the best rapier and stats to go with it.

This is what I have used in the past, stat wise.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:18 pm

I'd have to go with shields, but I believe in DkS2 they may accidentally make dual-wielding a slightly more advantageous option for pvp.
    Eko
    Eko
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Eko Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:21 pm

I find myself using the Estoc in my off-hand most of the time now. It's my favorite rapier for the reach and it has a good bit of damage. As far as shields go, I almost never block even when I have one. I would almost say if you can duel-wield well enough it would be much better than using a shield.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:41 pm

I find shields to be better than dual-wielding overall. While a few weapons shine in the left hand, I'd rather take a safe block than a risky parry. At first I defensively analyze my opponent (for roughly 5 seconds) so I use my shield to keep myself safe if my opponent decides to do anything silly, like attack me. Then I play aggressively, relying on my shield to protect me from most of the many mistakes I may or may not make.

I find dual-wielding to be a very defensive play style.
    megaoptamas759
    megaoptamas759
    Casual
    Casual

Duel Wielding or Shields - Page 2 Empty dual vs shields

Post by megaoptamas759 Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:03 pm

dual weilding helps me with high bleed damage weapons such as a great sythe and a gold tracer to dish out damage in fight clubs but against a gank team or a experienced player, it all depends on the situation.
    Bontee
    Bontee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bontee Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:14 pm

I see it as risk vs. reward, shield for defensive play and dual for parrying... I suck at parrying (and larger margin for error) thus higher risk, but a successful parry means greater reward. I say they're the same.
    shadowzninjaz
    shadowzninjaz
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by shadowzninjaz Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:58 pm

Its all optional i would say shield is good for better overall play but duel wielding can shine it really depends on how u play and ur style
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:19 pm

I like the shield more.  Its utility is higher; it can keep people off of you in terms of spamming attacks, sponge arrows, resist magic/pyros directly depending on shield, and/or parry.

Basically you're comparing blocking to a 1-animation attack.  In most cases, the ability to block as an option has more utility.  While you're slightly more predictable, so too must be your opponent, lest he just beat on a shield and risk taking massive damage to a parry.  The "counters" to a shield are both known and not huge in #...basically having it takes away options for your enemy just as dual-wielding gives you options.  Still, I've gone w/o shields and been R1 spammed by buffed/stunlock weapons a few too many times for my tastes.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:39 pm

What do you consider Casting Implements? On a good number of my builds I'll keep my Pyro/Talisman/Catalyst  in the offhand for most of a fight. I mean it's painfully obvious you want to cast if you switch from your shield/weapon to the talisman, they KNOW a WoG is coming and will be ready for it. But if you keep the Pyroflame out at all times that GCFB or BF will be much more of a surprise because the enemy is used to you having it out and not using it.

A catalyst makes people rolly polly real quick. They fear impending Beads and are watching for any cast slow enough to BS punish. If you just hold the Catalyst in your left hand and continue to poke at them with Velka's or you're still using the MLGS R2s they don't have the benefit of seeing the swap and knowing to expect a spell.

Generally I keep a shield in the other slot for my offhand, some weapons and specifically some opponents you need to be able to block/parry. But if for the purpose of the poll you'd consider a casting item as dual wielding then I'd have to change my vote
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:29 pm

I would say it depends on what you are using. I myself, normally use a spear or a rapier in my off-hand.

The spear wouldn't be a match for shield that can parry when it comes to taking damage because it can't parry and doesn't have 100% defense. However, it's range in the off-hand does a very nice job dealing with players that use annoying tactics like 2h r1 spamming a gold tracer.

The rapier does well with doing damage too but has a closer range but makes up for it because of my ability to parry with it. 

Personally I would have to say dual wielding is better depending on the combination of weapons you're using and in my case I'd say dual wielding is better than using a shield.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:42 pm

why choose one when you can have both?

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=284966553393277389
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:24 pm

^ My sentiments exactly.

Lefthand: Darkhand / MLBH

Righthand: TCC / Claw

Attunement: SMS / HCSM / DB

Rings: Havel / DWGR

I have something for every build I face.

*SMS on the MLBH is underrated imo, and it looks <3.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:17 pm

SMS in general is IMO an under used spell. It's really quite strong in some situations and as you've noticed it turns even weapons into blocking machines. The MLBH just happens to have the advantage of the great spear poke from the offhand. Though I've also done a fair bit with Velka's over there. the Poke isn't quite as long and it's AR is split but parries are devastating.

A small aside. I still think it's outright nuts I can't kick with a rapier in the MH. Has from never seen a good swashbuckling film from the 30s or 40s? Guys with rapiers kick ALL THE TIME.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:51 pm

Shields are too useful to pass up.They stop spam,block lag hits after rolling,can parry and the Pierce Shield is an awesome weapon.Whereas dual wielding isn't as useful since you have two slots for each hand,weapon switching only takes half of a second.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:12 am