Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Sentiel
shadowzninjaz
Leet
Avenger649
WyrmHero
Halicarnassis
SirArchmage
Dibsville
Ghadis_God
Doctor Snuggles
KrazykevS10
Lmaousine
16 posters

Falchion w/ DMB/SLB

Lmaousine
    Lmaousine
    Addicted
    Addicted

Falchion w/ DMB/SLB Empty Falchion w/ DMB/SLB

Post by Lmaousine Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:02 am

How do to counter besides getting a lucky parry?
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Falchion w/ DMB/SLB Empty Re: Falchion w/ DMB/SLB

Post by KrazykevS10 Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:08 am

Run for your life until it wears off.The only alternatives are ranged attacks or wrath to stun them.Though DMB can be nerfed if you have magic barrier or the better version.
    Doctor Snuggles
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Doctor Snuggles Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:15 am

Oroboro plz

What I do is bust out a Rapier or Spear and just poke as much as I can while maintaining my stamina. Once the buff is gone the Falchion really isn't so frightening since all they will probably do is spam R1. Best part is that they can't kick you if you keep your shield up since it does a slash-into-back flip kinda... thing. Crest Shield will make the spamming almost useless.

I personally don't bother trying to setup parry that since I'm always late and end up losing 600+ health in one or two hits very quickly. There are just some builds you can't go toe to toe with and that can be one of them. Just have to wait it out.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:19 am

You can't setup parry a curved sword. You can tank parry, which is recommended, but the best idea is just to attack with a weapon that has a longer range than the Falchion. Chances are the opponent will be poised up for max tank spam so with fast roll you ought to be able to keep your distance. If you're midrolling, tank parry or just blocking is your best bet.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:19 am

Use a Spear.
    Doctor Snuggles
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Doctor Snuggles Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:20 am

Ghadis_God wrote:You can't setup parry a curved sword.

WELL.

I see my problem now. Look Skyward
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:26 am

Doctor Snuggles wrote:

WELL.

I see my problem now. :00011:
    Actually, you can, but you're going to take a hit if you do it, so you need to have enough poise and be stupid enough to try it.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:31 am

Crystal soul spear and a lot of poise.
    Lmaousine
    Lmaousine
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Lmaousine Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:33 am

>Falchion 
    >Can't be reliably setup parried, which means you can't punish players who mash R1
    >Nerf Incoming anyone?
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:33 am

Wait until the buff runs out. That is their main power, obviously, but they also usually have four things working for them

1.) High poise
    2.) More health then you
    3.) Faster then you
    4.) More DPS then you, even without the buff

Using range to your advantage is definitely a good thing, as the Falchion has limited range, but never take your range for granted as they will probably never stop moving towards you. Which for this, always keep moving backwards. Because they can dead-angle you with two-handed Falchion attacks. Another good thing to note is their lack of defense. Most every build like this has less defense in favor of poise or faith. So Their giant pool of health isn't as threatening now. They will also be careless, not dodging nearly as much as they should on the belief that if they can take those few hits they can hit you once and damage you more then you damaged them(which works a lot). So back-pedaling with a shield is a must, and be prepared for a Wrath of the God dead angle(which they are going to do if you back-pedal with a shield). Just make sure there is never a space of time that you are vulnerable. They can easily kill you in a very short amount of time, even with your shield up and at max health.
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:51 am

Zwei or claymore and be brutal is my advice
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:10 am

Dibsville wrote:
    Doctor Snuggles wrote:

WELL.

I see my problem now. Look Skyward
    Actually, you can, but you're going to take a hit if you do it, so you need to have enough poise and be stupid enough to try it.
    When I say setup parry I mean with a shield. Like katanas, you can't do it with a shield. The fastest weapon you can setup parry with a shield is a spear, if you're close to the opponent. A tank parry, as in taking the hit with poise so you have a faster parry, is technically also a setup parry but I like to distinguish between the two. Incidentally, the timing with normal PS3 lag conditions for a 2h Curved sword tank parry is immediately before the first hit, assuming the opponent is spamming r1 you will parry the second swing. If the opponent is on the other side of the world it won't work like that though, it's generally inadvisable to try to parry Japanese players.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:42 am

Spear or bow. Bow is a great excuse for waiting for the buff to fade, since basically you're dodging all their hits. I call this bow-dodge turtling. Spear works the same since you poke and dodge away. Curved swords have slow and predictive sprint attacks and can't do a thing vs ranged weapons.
    Avenger649
    Avenger649
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Avenger649 Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:46 am

Whenever i face a person like that I either just use the run up and parry method as most people attack the second you get close, or I setup parry as I usually have lots of health, or stun them with a demon's great machete .
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:35 am

Lucky parry? If they're spamming R1, block the first hit and immediately after the first hit lands hit L2. You'll parry every time. They have to be spamming R1 though. This works for every weapon in the game, except some weapons (the big weapons) you have to have a little bit of delay before you L2 or you'll parry way before they swing and you'll get clobbered.
    shadowzninjaz
    shadowzninjaz
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by shadowzninjaz Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:37 am

Using dwgr with a fast weapon with more range can easily outplay a dmb falchion or using a spear n keeping ur distances is another good way and the more easier way 2 deal with this
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:23 am

TooLeet wrote:Lucky parry? If they're spamming R1, block the first hit and immediately after the first hit lands hit L2. You'll parry every time. They have to be spamming R1 though. This works for every weapon in the game, except some weapons (the big weapons) you have to have a little bit of delay before you L2 or you'll parry way before they swing and you'll get clobbered.
    No, it doesn't work for fast weapons. The fastest weapon you can setup parry on a shield is a spear. Daggers, curved swords, katanas, and rapiers cannot be setup parried in PvP.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:00 am

Ok, here's what I do.

People with buffed curved sword are super aggresive. I always provoke them by evading their R1 at the last possible moment. I do this two, or three times and on the next time this happens I parry them. The riposte is likely to do some serious damage, but they will survive, so it's best to get behind them, and don't let them get any chance to swing again.

If you're using a Claymore, or MLGS, you can infinite stunlock them. Each hit received, even those that don't do HP damage thanks to lag, all of those break Poise. You have to count their Poise, but if you time it right, you can chip away their Poise and then break it with 1H R1, which now can stunlock them to death. It's a nasty trick to get rid of high Poise tanks, but works.

A good example is Claymore R2 which won;t stagger, immediately followed by R1 which will stagger and you can R1 spam, just like in the old days of 2H R2 spam. happy
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Lmaousine wrote:>Falchion 
    >Can't be reliably setup parried, which means you can't punish players who mash R1
    >Nerf Incoming anyone?
    No. Curved swords don't need a nerf.

In any case, I use wog or force (force for non faith builds because it only takes like 4 points to get) to stun them, and then bs them. Repeat untill dead.

The alternative is to kite them until the buff runs out, and then be super aggressive so they can't rebuff.
    goober0331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by goober0331 Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Either dodge until the buff runs out, or simply counter with your weapon when the timing is right. Spear/Rapier makes the countering easier.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:44 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:
    TooLeet wrote:Lucky parry? If they're spamming R1, block the first hit and immediately after the first hit lands hit L2. You'll parry every time. They have to be spamming R1 though. This works for every weapon in the game, except some weapons (the big weapons) you have to have a little bit of delay before you L2 or you'll parry way before they swing and you'll get clobbered.
    No, it doesn't work for fast weapons. The fastest weapon you can setup parry on a shield is a spear. Daggers, curved swords, katanas, and rapiers cannot be setup parried in PvP.

Please tell  me you're trolling....
    Eko
    Eko
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Eko Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:02 pm

He isn't trolling. It is incredibly hard to setup parry on fast weapons like the falchion. It isn't impossible to setup parry on fast weapons just rather hard and inconsistent. There are much better and more reliable counters to those weapons than setup parrying.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Katana's are one of the easiest weapons in the game to set up if they're spamming. Maybe it's because all i use is a target shield.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Falchion two-hand R1 spam can dead-angle. When I use a build that has that, and notice someone trying to parry me, I immediately take advantage of that and dead-angle, bs them, WoG them, or even just spam them and take the parry because with 1900 health I am going to survive it. I can even survive two in a row from a rapier if I use replenishment, which I started using once Power Within got me killed way too much.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:19 pm

It's not easy.  Some ideas:

1.  Stunlock --> only if their build allows it, but if you are running a big weapon it's worth noting that you might be able to do it.
    2.  GMB --> No buff damage.
    3.  Run away --> Self-explanatory, but there's no reason to engage something you've no better answer to handling.
    4.  Leo build --> Spear-poke from behind shield if you have enough stability.  That isn't a trade even DMB falchions want; their chip is a lot weaker than a leo poke.  Just watch roll BS.
    5.  Counter buff --> If you have one of these things too, make a duel of it.
    6.  Tick Stab --> They're going to be right on top of you, so if you can hit them with force or WoG you can tick stab; if you use WoG you'll almost certainly out-damage them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:33 pm