Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
Odinbear
shadowzninjaz
Walter_White
StiffNipples
TheMeInTeam
Laveidem
IV_Mark_VI
Slarg232
KrazykevS10
Raijinilli
Forum Pirate
Animaaal
befowler
wretchedsausage
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
SirArchmage
Sentiel
Soris Ice Goldwing
Halicarnassis
ResIsBestStat
Dibsville
GrinTwist
IIdoneus
27 posters

What is up with all these new people!?

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

What is up with all these new people!? - Page 3 Empty Re: What is up with all these new people!?

Post by Animaaal Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:57 am

^^^^^?????

What does all this have to do with the Crown of Dusk (CoD)?????

And also:
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

What is up with all these new people!? - Page 3 Empty Re: What is up with all these new people!?

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Best connection should have an advantage.  I'm sick and tired of losing to garbage connections, people torrenting, people that pay 10 bucks a month for internet usage...
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:41 pm

I actually pay 10$ for my net. Got only 30Mb atm, but it works for every game. There are lag spikes here and there but it works. I rarely hear someone complain that I lag.

However, I used to have a 100Mb connection and you know what's the difference between those two?
    I was downloading stuff faster. Absolutely no impact on online games.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:42 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Best connection should have an advantage.  I'm sick and tired of losing to garbage connections, people torrenting, people that pay 10 bucks a month for internet usage...

I agree.  My buddy has one of those connections.  And its noticeable...VERY noticeable.

I'm not hating on someone who pays what they can afford, its just frustrating is all.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:36 pm

However, I used to have a 100Mb connection and you know what's the difference between those two?
    I was downloading stuff faster. Absolutely no impact on online games.

Nor should it.  Well designed games send as little over the internet as possible.  Positioning of characters, syncing, and not much else.  Bandwidth would only be a serious concern on dial-up unless the game was quite oddly designed and using a ton of it.

The main issue is latency (IE ping time).  You can have a great amount of bandwidth and awful latency (IE playing on fiber optic connection...with someone across the world) or a rather mediocre connection but tremendously favorable latency (IE basic DSL connected to someone in the same city).  The latter is vastly preferable for gaming.  It really should only care about latency when finding players.

Call of duty is playing with latency and making things worse than they need to be.  That said, people can also tamper with their networks to do it on purpose (infamous "lag switching") or be using so much of their bandwidth that latency becomes an issue just due to capping the bandwidth (IE streaming video elsewhere in the house or using torrents).  None of this should matter; the game should be looking to grab people with sub-100ms (or ideally 75ms) ping times to the hostand then NOT tamper with the latency at all.  If someone is lagging, let them suffer; don't make everyone else suffer also FFS.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Ok, that's your download.  What's your upload (equally important?)  I find some people I come across have terrible upload, and they say "my internet is fine, looks good to me" because they can't see their own upload rates.

Most providers give your a large download, and a small upload.  30MBps is a big enough pipe unless you have 4+ computers all torrenting.

Just to note:  ping time is not latency (unless the ping is very small).  Just nitpicking as most people consider ping to be the time to transmit to someone, which it is not.  Ping is a network command sending x amount of data to an IP asking it to respond with the same x.  Time of transmission (ping) is the time sent and received.  Round trip.  Not just your connection, but theirs sa well, as well as how long to respond to your ping.

Many times because of the low upload bandwidth allocated, lots of people have choppy upload and that's my issue.  That their crappy upload becomes my problem as I see them hopping around and with their 30MBps download, they see the game as silky smooth.

A N N O Y I N G.

And yes, Torrenting CAN matter quite a bit.  If your upload stream is choked, then you can have packet collisions, QOS issues etc.  Torrenting and other uses of your network can and does matter.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:31 pm

I didn't mean to imply it didn't matter, although I see that it look that way.  In that sense I meant that the game itself should pick up on these slow connections and bias them away from games with good connectivity.  It shouldn't matter WHY their connection is so miserable at the moment.  It is not a player's "right" to join into a game where otherwise everyone has 75 ms to the host when this guy has 400ms or more.  He needs to take steps to correct that or join into similar connection games.

Basically I'm saying it shouldn't matter to US if that guy has an awful connection to the host; he should be the only person suffering rather than spreading that disease of a connection to everyone in the game.

Time of transmission (ping) is the time sent and received.  Round trip.  Not just your connection, but theirs sa well, as well as how long to respond to your ping.

It's hard to properly convey this in written communication though; what we ultimately care about is the delay between our inputs and what happens in-game.  That's going to require some round-trip stuff.  How much does it matter which direction is causing the bottleneck?  IMO not much, unless you can actually do something about said bottleneck (if you're streaming video, then you can stop easily enough, but if you're not using upstream bandwidth for anything else at all then you're kind of SoL and can only hope for a better host or to get a new ISP).

I think using the term "fake ping" sums it up pretty well.  The game is altering what you see based on a higher ping time than actually exists between the players.

And yes, this has an utterly obnoxious tendency to make the person with a better connection see a slide show sometimes while the guy with a 250ms ping to the host actually winds up with an advantage.  It's not consistent though.  It's an AWFUL way to handle peer-to-peer online gaming, so bad you'd be better off just using the old model of letting host advantage rule.

I consider people who deliberately mess with their upload in anyway to be in a similar vein to people who lag switch outright; it's basically the same concept.  Don't reward the trash for using bittorrent to induce lag on everyone else sad.  That single-handedly ruined CoD for me.  Before that, it was a fun/mindless diversion.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Slarg232 wrote:Battlefield analysis?
    Battlefield awareness.

Its exactly what it sounds like. Knowing where you are on a battlefield, where objects in the enviroment are (weapons, grenades, healthpacks, trees, ledges, bunkers, ect.) where you're allies are in relation to you, what weapons they're using, what weapons your enemy is using, how much health the people near you have, and where enemies are (or are most likely to be, based on a recent sighting or knowledge of the map layout) in relation to you.

There is actually more to it, as it includes every aspect of the battlefield (including the people in it) but thats the gist.

The ability to gather this data, and acting accordingly, is battlefield awarness.
    shadowzninjaz
    shadowzninjaz
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by shadowzninjaz Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm

I see many newcomers in dark souls and many come back

At least with the newcomers then have a chance 2 keep this game alive until the next one comes out this same thing kinda happen with demon souls but u dont notice it really since dark souls is a bigger game
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:25 am

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Ok, that's your download.  What's your upload (equally important?)  I find some people I come across have terrible upload, and they say "my internet is fine, looks good to me" because they can't see their own upload rates.

Most providers give your a large download, and a small upload.  30MBps is a big enough pipe unless you have 4+ computers all torrenting.

Just to note:  ping time is not latency (unless the ping is very small).  Just nitpicking as most people consider ping to be the time to transmit to someone, which it is not.  Ping is a network command sending x amount of data to an IP asking it to respond with the same x.  Time of transmission (ping) is the time sent and received.  Round trip.  Not just your connection, but theirs sa well, as well as how long to respond to your ping.

Many times because of the low upload bandwidth allocated, lots of people have choppy upload and that's my issue.  That their crappy upload becomes my problem as I see them hopping around and with their 30MBps download, they see the game as silky smooth.

A N N O Y I N G.

And yes, Torrenting CAN matter quite a bit.  If your upload stream is choked, then you can have packet collisions, QOS issues etc.  Torrenting and other uses of your network can and does matter.

Any and all use of your connection affects this game when you have 1.5dl. .390ul

I can verify that online suffers here when the UL number drops.  
    I can verify that downloading /torrenting also kills my summons and ability to summon.
    I am on the cusp of being a semi reliable connection, but rarely see lag ( as long as no computer downloads just happen to kick in while playing).
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:40 am

Seeing lag is also different than giving lag.  Also, your router can be important and settings.

And killing summons/ability to summon is the connection so bad it can't/won't connect period.  It's not a choppy connection, it's no connection.

I see some people's videos and the way they get backstabs... either the people are horrible or they have bad upload connections.  I've lost countless fights this way, of people just being able to run straight at you, then pivot/bs me.  Yeah, I could equip thorns and roll.  Yeah, I could jump around with a giant swing weapon like a great scythe.  But it's still not played as intended (my opinion; I honestly do not know how the development team intended play; no one does).  I do know I play totally differently on the xbox where connections generally have less lag, and have more success there.  Probably if I learned on the PS3 it would be different; I"d be used to the lag and using it to win, and be thrown off on the xbox.
    buzzgud
    buzzgud

Post by buzzgud Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:00 pm

I know it's a little off topic, even though it's on topic. Lol.

I think the new comers are coming in because the game is presented so well. It looks interesting, and it looks fun. I too have always been a fan of hardcore games, and have always invested hundreds of hours. I'm scared of the COD fans and what not, but I'm more scared of strictly Skyrim fans, those guys who can't stand having a negative reaction at all to their deaths in games.

Just the other day, someone asked me if they should start playing Demon/Dark Souls, I asked if they get mad when they died on COD, they said well yeah, of course, I get so mad I scream at the T.V. and I flip out, and I can't stand having this certain K/D ratio, etc. I was like, well, then don't go and play Demon/Dark Souls, because you will freak. The penalties for dying there are costly.

Now, I welcome the new population, as I've been playing since Demon Souls came out and since Dark Souls came out, and I love both games, and am always welcome to newcomers to the game, but I just don't want the COD fan-boy's to come in and rage every time they lose a PVP battle, or rage in general on the forums.. gotta keep it peaceful, lol.. yeah right!

Look Skyward
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:18 am

Isn't it at all possible that other people are interested in trying new games that are something different, and the highly given remarks of both the media and it's fans makes people think dark souls is a great place to start?

both Dark Souls and Monster Hunter are great titles that are something different than many other games give these days.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:25 am

I liked Dark Souls before it was cool and that's all that matters. /hipster shades cool
    Casdman
    Casdman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Casdman Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:12 am

I wonder that with the steam summer sale if the PV version is gona get a bunch of new people

I sure hope so, the game seems baren most of the time
    sheepskin

Post by sheepskin Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:18 am

DS newbie here.

I'm a MH3 refugee.  After Capcom shut down the servers in April, I found myself looking for another RPG that could hold its own against my conquests.  I didn't want to fork over the money to buy a WiiU so I could play MH3U either.

So, having read a little about DS in the past and how the boss battles and difficulty compare, I decided to pick up the title for my 360.  Fun game.  Though the similarities do exist, the challenge is entirely different.  DS is a bit more unforgiving in regards to general play, focusing more on general play as well.  Whereas the boss battles were the meat of MH3, and the general play was just filler/run through fodder.  I'm acclimating nicely though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:52 pm