Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
ResIsBestStat
twigsterxd
Wilkinson3424
Dibsville
arshan272
9 posters

Dragon Magic

Poll

If this was in the game, would you play it?

[ 10 ]
    Dragon Magic I_vote_lcap67%Dragon Magic I_vote_rcap [67%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Dragon Magic I_vote_lcap13%Dragon Magic I_vote_rcap [13%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Dragon Magic I_vote_lcap7%Dragon Magic I_vote_rcap [7%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Dragon Magic I_vote_lcap7%Dragon Magic I_vote_rcap [7%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Dragon Magic I_vote_lcap6%Dragon Magic I_vote_rcap [6%] 

Total Votes: 15
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Dragon Magic Empty Dragon Magic

Post by arshan272 Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Okay, with my newfound confidence, I shall post my writeup for the story and mechanics of Dragon Magic: 

Rituals
    Basics

Spells are called Rituals ( I Need a better single word name)

Used by individuals called Sages 

Bestowed upon them by the Everlasting Dragon(s)

Summons drakes (NOT DRAGONS)

Uses Draconic attacks

Good if you want to deal damage at close range and summon draconic minions

Weapon Buffs (if any) deal Increased physical or magic damage

Self or Minion buffs increase the resilience of the target instead of healing (Increase to Phys. Defense, Health, etc.)

Catalyst is an Orb, possibly a dragon's eye

History

Magic Bestowed upon humans by the Everlasting Dragon of Ash Lake. The dragon was given enough scales to restore the old magic of the dragons, used to raise armies of drake underlings and empower the dragons during the war. Once originating from the primordial crystal and sustained by the collective dragons, the magic, along with the dragons' immortality, was lost when Seath pillaged the artifact. Seath was barely one dragon, and could not sustain the old magic by himself. Instead, he condemned it to obscurity, and went on to pursue his own magic and his immortality.

So, this magic style scales with Attunement. Summoning is fairly high level for this style, and you cannot have two different summoning spells active at the same time. The rest of the magic is mostly mid-range damage dealing that stuns and sometimes damages stamina, using the dragon fire and force that dragons are so fond of. Because the magic deals high-damage and stuns, it's a little slower to cast and/or move than the others. Because of the new Dark Souls 2 spell mechanic, where each spell can be cast infinitely and consume stamina unless "over-drived" (R2) a couple of times, the orbs don't have to be attacked with. I want to finish some of the spells before I post them.

I also have an idea about dragon weapons being an upgrade path, which increases the damage greatly but is worthless at higher stat levels, just like the regular dragon weapons.
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Dragon Magic Empty Re: Dragon Magic

Post by arshan272 Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Last minute guidelines.
    Overcast amount legend

Very low: 1-3
    Low: 4-8
    Low-medium: 9-13
    Medium: 14-17
    Medium-high: 18-23
    High: 24-28
    Very High: 29-32
    Drain: gravelord, fire storm, fire surge, fire whip. 99+ casts.

Also, just to clear up that allies can hurt summons and they will attack the ally if hurt enough.

Here are some spells in order of intended acquisition/power. Anything that scales is underlined:

Pulse: Sends a flying arrow of yellow/black translucent fire (I'll call it dragonfire from now on) at the enemy. Stuns and deals physical damage. Very high casts

Reverse Weakness: Removes negative status ailments and provides greatly increased stamina or 1/second health regeneration for 20 seconds to 120 seconds. Over-drive removes curse, blindness. Very low cast.

Wyrm: Calls a small, fat draconic serpent with low hitpoints to the player that does a flailing melee attack. Once summoned, spell changes effect to healing the serpent at the cost of player HP. Over-drive doubles the healing granted/hitpoints lost ratio. Low casts.

Heavy Pulse: Much better than pulse in every aspect, but slower and less casts.

Dragon's Breath: A close range attack that sends out a surge of dragonfire, dealing 50% physical/fire type damage. Over-drive makes it a cone. Low-medium casts.

These three are chosen, probably by Boss Souls or one-time thing. They do not stack with each other, and have 15 minute durations. However, their over-drives consume the effect to cast a big AOE spell.

Blessing of the Archtree: Reduced stamina regeneration and fire defenseincreased weight, health and physical/magical defense. You get archtree bark skin on your character. Over-drive consumes it to cast a PBAOE poison snare. Very Low casts.

Blessing of the Ancient One: Increased physical damage, increased stamina regen, reduced weight. Overdrive consumes the effect to create a Dragonfire pursuer that moves very slowly in cicrcles around you, has stupendous homing capabilities, and returns to you if it doesn't collide with anything in the environment that isn't an enemy. You get the ash lake everlasting dragon aesthetics, sort of like dragon aspect from the Elder Scrolls 5. Very Low casts

Blessing of the Calamity: Greatly increased magic damage, greatly increased cast speed, you take double damage from everything except falling. Over-drive is essentially the two-handed R2 of the Obsidian Greatsword, a PBAOE mass of black fire. You get Kalameet's aesthetics. Very Low casts.

More to come! Also, add your own spells, armor, special weapons, rings, and and orbs/foci.

Last edited by arshan272 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:08 pm

If this were in the game, I'd definitely use it. When I saw the title I immediately thought Pyromancy, but this is pretty cool.

Seems like it could be easily implemented on any type of build, so it would be really useful in general.

Also, we already have an upgrade that boosts damage but takes away scaling, that being Raw. Unfortunately, since it only goes to +5, it's only the equivalent of a +10 weapon, or an unupgraded Occult, Chaos, Lightning, or Enchanted weapon.
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Post by arshan272 Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Dibsville wrote:If this were in the game, I'd definitely use it. When I saw the title I immediately thought Pyromancy, but this is pretty cool.

Seems like it could be easily implemented on any type of build, so it would be really useful in general.

Also, we already have an upgrade that boosts damage but takes away scaling, that being Raw. Unfortunately, since it only goes to +5, it's only the equivalent of a +10 weapon, or an unupgraded Occult, Chaos, Lightning, or Enchanted weapon.

Wow. 3 years been playing this and I never even realized Raw did that. I suppose this would have to replace raw and go up to +10 (probably thanks to some ember) and maybe the specialty ember could add the stuns that Dragons adore so much.
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:12 pm

I don't like the idea of summoning things, but alot of the spells were cool, some of them were kind of copies of other spells but still cool.
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Post by arshan272 Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Wilkinson3424 wrote:I don't like the idea of summoning things, but alot of the spells were cool, some of them were kind of copies of other spells but still cool.

I want to draw some minor parallels with Sorcery because of Seath. Maybe he could've reverse engineered some Rituals into Sorceries. I know that summoning does break with the theme of loneliness that Dark Souls is famous for, but I think that it really makes this style differ from the others. You're not supposedto feel a sentimental attachment to them. Hold on! Idea! Maybe, if you've been weakened profusely, anything you have summoned will turn on you! 

Also, I adore that sig.
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:18 pm

Well I don't like summoning because gankers could each summon a drake and it would be a 6v1
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Post by arshan272 Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Wilkinson3424 wrote:Well I don't like summoning because gankers could each summon a drake and it would be a 6v1

Oh right. That's a problem. I hope friendly fire or weakening the summoner will remedy that, so you could gain a few allies in the situation, but seeing as that may be insurmountable . . . any ideas?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Summoning is something that crosses the boundaries of Dark Souls. If anything, the summons should replace Phantoms. I.E., if you summon a white, you can only summon 1 Drake. If you summon 2 phantoms, then you can't have any Drakes. And Vice Versa.
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Post by arshan272 Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:27 pm

Dibsville wrote:Summoning is something that crosses the boundaries of Dark Souls. If anything, the summons should replace Phantoms. I.E., if you summon a white, you can only summon 1 Drake. If you summon 2 phantoms, then you can't have any Drakes. And Vice Versa.

What about invader's summons?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:28 pm

Same thing depending on how many phantoms are in the world I suppose. We already can only have 4 people in one world at a time, so not being able to summon as an invader doesn't really change anything.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:59 pm

I agree with Dibs. But, maybe for PvP type situations, you either get NO dragon summons, or, the dragons can only fight other dragons. I like your idea but even if gankers were able to summon, they would let dragon do all the work and attack you at the right moment.
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Post by arshan272 Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:40 pm

I was thinking . . . Could some one list a set of possible criteria for a summons betrayal? All I can really think of is low player health.
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Post by arshan272 Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:44 pm

I've concluded that summons role in this magic style will be reduced. Also, would it be a fix if summoned creatures simply wouldn't attack invaders on sight, only if they are hit like with white phantoms.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Personally now that I've thought about it, dragons shouldn't be used at all in PvP. Here's why;
    I invade you, if I have the chance to summon a dragon, I would just sit back and let my dragon do most of the work. If we are able to heal these dragons, how can a non magic player stand a chance. I just attack with full force x2.
    If you could set up a dragon ONLY type PvP, the invader has the choice to either fight solo, or just send his/her dragon while the player stays in his/her world. Also, you need to think of summoning times. A player may not have the chance to summon the dragon. Especially if there are gankers just waiting for an invasion.
    Also, it may ruin game experience because people might just use their dragon to kill everything and walk thru the area unharmed. Take havel in undead burg, why not just send your dragon instead of experiencing fighting him. I say this because your summon has no time limit.
    If your dragons can attack you if hp is 50% or less, can you kill it or shut it off?
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Post by arshan272 Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:02 pm

I have taken all these things into consideration and my first realization is: I have to flesh out summons. I will use all of the current feedback and post a how do summons work thingy.
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:25 pm

This sounds pretty cool, I guess I'll add my idea of a spell....
    Blessing of the Deformed
    Blessing granted by slaying the deformed dragon known as the Gaping Dragon who was infected with deadly disease. Grants the power of many ailments and sickness to the user. The Gaping Dragon's history is a mystery, but knowing how powerful this spell is, many wonder how powerful he was ages ago.

Effect: Deal Toxic damage that decreases 14 HP per second, become immune to Poison and Toxic. Wearer's movement speed degrades. (e.g: Fast roll becomes mid roll and mid roll becomes fat roll and so on.) Overdrive unleashes a giant pile of toxic goo (About 6 m.) that deals 15 Toxic damage, 30 Poison damage and 30 Durability damage per second.
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Post by arshan272 Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Finally! Thanks to ResIs for taking the creation initiative.
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Post by arshan272 Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:27 pm

After much ambiguity . . .

How summons work:

• Summons are NPC's in service to the player, and do not take up an invasion slot.
    • A summon can be damaged by everything except falling, and if damaged enough, will become aggressive to everything unless it is the player character dealing the damage.
    • If a summon is killed by any player other than the player character, that player will lose a little health and souls to the killer.
    • A summon will not attack an invader/invadee unless aggroed or if the opponent lowers the summoner's health below 60%.
    • A summon will attack a hostile npc on sight.
    • A summon will attack its own summoner if the summoner's health falls below 15%.
    • A summon will attack an invader's summon on sight. This will trigger aggroe for both summons, meaning they will attack each other's summoners on sight as well.
    • Through a covenant item, a summon can be sent to invade another world as a more powerful variant of itself and will appear as a blue phantom. It will attack mobs, but will switch to the host if possible. I will explain more about this covenant later.
    • A boss will almost never target a summon unless it has to.
    • Player's cannot heal the summon directly unless outlined in the ability. A player shares all indirect healing its summon gets.
    • A summon cannot get a status effect; These effects go directly to the player.
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:03 am

Ok, moar spells and items!

Summon Nìohoggr
    Summon a fearsome Nìohoggr, one of the many brothers of the Hydra. Summons are a rare form of Dragon Magic that were lost after the Dragons went extinct, their power is however greater than most modern spells. Summons need to have a pack leader to lead them and if they see even one sign of weakness in their leader, they will betray them.

Effect: Summon a Nìohoggr, attacks are:
    Bite: Bites enemy, deals 140-170 damage.
    Water blast: Expel a blast of water, deals 250-290 physical damage and easily breaks poise and guard.
    Tail whip: Used when enemy is behind, deals 120-150 damage.

Here's a pic if you can't imagine it:
    Dragon Magic Artista2-nidhhoggr-tm
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Post by arshan272 Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:13 pm

You know, this largely community driven. Make some stuff, people! Help me! Let your creativity burst forth!cheers

Praise the Sun Dragon Magic 867261544 Mage
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:15 am

Ok, I'll continue...

Blessing of the Outcast
    Blessing granted by slaying the outcasted dragon Seath the Scaleless who had no scales. Grants the fearsome power of curses and crystals to the caster. Seath wasn't immortal, but he had a great mind, this spell proves that thanks to its peculiar reliance to Intelligence.

Effect: Increased Magic damage from spells and weapons that deal Magic damage. Melee attacks build-up Curse. Reduced Lock-on range and cannot aim with bows. Overdrive is a giant Crystal AOE that quickly build-ups Curse. You take Seath's form while using this spell except for the giant tentacle legs.
    Gollumseverywhere
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Gollumseverywhere Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:23 pm

Blessing of the unknown
    Noone is quite sure how undead dragons came to exist but even so they have ties to the old magic

Player 'causes poison build up on each swing jump attacks have longer range and cause an aoe stun around player upon landing player also has a weakness to fire and lightning player takes form of undead dragon(both top and bottom halves
    Overdrive
    Summons a miniature complete(lower and upper) undead dragon to aid the player
    Attacks
    Bound: the undead dragon leaps at enemies(mid range)
    Claw: attacks with claws(close range)
    Stomp: attacks with a powerful stomp(close range causes short aoe stun)
    Poison spew:spews deadly poison at enemies(mid rang causes poison build up)
    drdrack
    Regular
    Regular

Post by drdrack Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:38 pm

While i am not too sure about summonings in Dark souls. I will say that blessing of the clamity looks like something  i would personally make a favorite of, If you can make a physical damaging version of it, something like double your damage output and swing speed, while begin in calamity like effect
    arshan272
    arshan272
    Regular
    Regular

Post by arshan272 Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Reckless Curse
    Cursed Ritual acquired from the Lunatic Dracolich, a dragon who returned itself to life by force of will alone.
    There was once a clutch of Reckless, Willful Dragons. These dragons died off quickly in the Dragon War, but not before taking scores of the Gods' faithful with them. 
    You deal double physical damage from all equipped weapons, and your attack/movement speed is increased by 10-25%.Your total poise is reduced by 50%, and the damage you take is increased by 50%. The visuals are of a burning everlasting dragon.Overdrive sends out large, fast fire orbs in random directions at the cost of 10-50 HP per orb.

Last edited by arshan272 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:15 pm