Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
MikailArksot
BrotherBob
Soris Ice Goldwing
Wilkinson3424
xB_WEEZYx
Leet
Soul of Stray Demon
Latitoast
Pilgrim34
Lord of Ash
lorenzo110
tigab95
TheMeInTeam
skarekrow13
SirArchmage
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
BloodTempest
21 posters

Forest Ganking

BloodTempest
    BloodTempest
    Casual
    Casual

Forest Ganking Empty Forest Ganking

Post by BloodTempest Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:15 am

Let's say you're a Forest Hunter, you invade a dude's world and discover that the host is currently ganking. What's your prefered method of dealing with this?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Forest Ganking Empty Re: Forest Ganking

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:22 am

Kill fast or be killed fast.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:44 am

Pursuers, Crystal Soul Spear from a distance, run forward and use the pursuers to get the phantom off of me. Then dark bead and/or backstab.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:54 am

Skarekrow Tree Descendants
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:56 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Kill fast or be killed fast.
    You can wait for another invader.  Almost no ganker wants to chase you down that ladder near the bridge, and if they do anything out of dark bead, fire tempest, or even WoG/Force can easily result in instant death for them as they slide or drop down.

You can also do jumps over the chasm, run into the mushroom parents or bearcats, or even buy a small amount of time using the ents as a distraction.  There are some dense areas of trees in the area just above that ladder that also cause pathing issues and can result in gankers isolating themselves.

If you just want to rush in, you can bait them and tempest with your back to something + poise, chain backstab fish, zwei stunlock, WoG tickstab, poisebead, do the oroboro style PW + weapon buff r1 spam.  Pyro combos are great on the narrow bridge near alvina too.
    tigab95
    tigab95
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by tigab95 Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:28 am

I disguise as a tree and I try to get as close as possible without being notice , then when theres another invader I make a suprise attack silly
    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by lorenzo110 Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:57 am

Here's my advice on this forest question. If you want to improve your skill as an over all player then forget about the try hard easy mode methods and go into the forest with the mind set that you could care less if you win or lose. Once you have accepted this reality you will truly begin to challenge yourself as a player and start to learn skills needed to fight against multiple opponents without having to rely on any crutch that improves magic or weapon damage such as any item or spell buffs. I have seen more Japanese players who tend to fight in this method. They play DKS the way it should be played for the most part. As fun and to improve on actual skill. To me they are the best players because of this mentality. All builds were pretty much created by them because they tend to be a lot more creative as fighters to using different weapons and items just for the fun of it regardless if they win or lose doing so.

Now if you must and have to win every single fight then the advice given above will benefit you. Though a word of advice. You will never improve as an over all player by using such tactics and heavily relying on major buffs to fight. I for one as a veteran player respect and admire the true players who challenge themselves by actually fighting with no buffs what so ever against multiple opponents. They show a real desire to actually want to improve and a willingness to accept their own personal challenge by fighting buff free. And in the forest that is something to really respect and admire in a person. Especially when 99.9 of the players will heavily rely on major buffs to fight against multiple fighters. Easy mode is called that for a reason. Anyone can do it and see their win ratio improve dramatically. But this gives a player a very false sense of superiority. Take the buffs away and they are just horrible players.

So in summing things up use the forest as your own testing ground. A Place to improve your skill set and learn new things. Go in there not caring one bit if you win or if you lose. Once you have accepted this then you will truly begin to test yourself as a player and begin to improve on your skills. And believe me the forest can definitely teach you a lot of very useful and helpful skills. Period. You just have to go into it with the right mentality. That's the difference between average like everyone else or greatness. Its your choice on what you want to be. This is just my opin.
    Lord of Ash
    Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:30 am

I give them a good workout before I kill them almost naked after all Im a The-rapist
    Pilgrim34
    Pilgrim34
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Pilgrim34 Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:20 am

I tend to ninja flip with a spear and a dark silver tracer as a forest hunter. If you are clever with your movement you can infuriate gankers by being elusive.

You can dance around them with the spear and then go in for backstabs with the tracer. If you manage to get rid of the phantom you can easily chain backstabs on the host for easy kills.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:56 am

Want to infuriate gankers?  Try this:

http://mmdks.com/3keb

At first glance, you appear to be the usual naked troll.  But you hide a secret.  You have 45dex pyros, and lots of them.  Just as importantly, you have the fastest of the fast rolls with this equip burden, and should be able to outrun anybody else.

The general idea is to run around like an idiot most of the time and either provoke chases or help another invader.  Be a nuisance; throw poison knives and black firebombs as you go.  Keep the wolf ring handy to swap on if you're going for a tempest.

Don't forget your symbol of avarice to put on after killing the host.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:44 pm

The treebros are quite dangerous if you lure all of them.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Practice taking them both on, I once actually won (by luck I think) a three on one gank.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 pm

BloodTempest wrote:Let's say you're a Forest Hunter, you invade a dude's world and discover that the host is currently ganking. What's your prefered method of dealing with this?

Sit back and see how they react to me being in the world. If they rush me as soon as they see me, i automatically assume they have no tactic and are just gonna spam whatever weapon/spell the can to kill me. Roll backstabs work very well against gankers because they seem to rely on eachother. Ganker A see's Ganker B charge you and swing. They think "well, if he hits him i'll the follow up" and they both end up leaving themselves open the entire match.

Also, i love the Zweih. I've had multiple instances of 3 gankers being way too close to eachother and stun locking all 3 of them, ultimately killing and "looking skyward."

Gankers tend to be very scrubby, thus very easy matches.
    xB_WEEZYx
    xB_WEEZYx
    Regular
    Regular

Post by xB_WEEZYx Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:16 am

Lure him to the trees and wait for backup tongue
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:22 am

http://mmdks.com/3ksy

This build is the answer to your questions.

(The Black Manchette matches my black hair :3 )
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:35 am

Kill by any and all means but hacking. Anything goes there so being called whatever by the host is meaningless.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:44 am

If there's 2, then I take them on. A Silver Tracer and HR or a Zwei stunlock are my preferred methods. Especially if my aim is to get a BS, I find a good strategy is to backpedal as if running away, to bait them into dashing towards me, and then rushing in for a BS.

If there's 3, that's when it's really fun. I run right for the Darkroot Basin. Whether they chase me down or not is irrelevant. It just ruins their current ganking session.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:50 am

The best thing about running to basin is that you're virtually guaranteed a tickstab or tempest on them if they try to follow, although one could certainly troll the gank session by simply equipping a ring of fog and hiding somewhere in the basin/forest too.
    MikailArksot
    MikailArksot
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MikailArksot Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:17 am

My experience with gankers as a Forest Hunter has never been very pleasant.

I either get killed or I Black Crystal out.

This is due to my one choice of combat at all times: melee.

And generally, it's not one that can OHKO or break poise.
    BloodTempest
    BloodTempest
    Casual
    Casual

Post by BloodTempest Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:34 am

I just got butt****ed >.<

The host summoned a naked phantom with a plank shield and the two of them took turns doing the bare handed back stab on me till one of them got bored and pulled out a lightning claymore sad
    Undiscovery
    Undiscovery
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Undiscovery Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Stealth Snipe them with a greatbow. Or use effective AoE spells to keep them from getting to close. I've been against three gankers at once a few times and they're so arrogant and worried about getting behind you that they don't pay attention to what you're casting, anyway I cast Gravelord GS Dance (Because it's tactical and underused it can be unexpected.) and sent them all flying, isolating the phantoms I stunlocked them and then preceded to kill the host.

Last edited by Undiscovery on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Pilgrim34
    Pilgrim34
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Pilgrim34 Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:26 pm

^^ I couldn't agree more with you there, the amount of gankers who will just rush you to attempt a backstab is beyond counting.

Problem with that is that it can disrupt your own strategy and it's easy to lose focus when you have two or more guys coming at you. If you have lots of poise and a powerful weapon then you can always attempt a dead angle to beat the bs attempts but even this is risky if a bit of lag is involved.

Most of my forest hunter builds tend to be light and mobile so what I will often do is run towards the ladder near the cats and get on it, except I won't go all the way down. A lot of gankers will attempt to attack you if you stay near the top of the ladder and if they hit you once they will most likely overdo it and then plunge to their death. Alternatively, if you have force/WoG/obsidian greatsword then you can go all the way to the bottom and set up to blast them off the narrow ledge there. If you don't have these then I wouldn't recommend going all the way down unless you are very good at kicking.

Several times I have managed to fool people into going all the way down by descending the ladder slowly and then going back up again. If you can manage then then it's laughably easy to kick them off the edge if you wait at the top as they ascend again.
    Undiscovery
    Undiscovery
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Undiscovery Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Well having three opponents allows you to effectively use your lock-on again as opposed to 1v1. I'm able to cycle through them as targets and get an instant view of what they're trying to do behind me without having to fidget with the right stick. Also it is very effective at psyching them out, if you're charging a spell locked to one guy and change target right when it's cast they usually run into it as they try to move-in for the distracted kill.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:17 pm

BloodTempest wrote:Let's say you're a Forest Hunter, you invade a dude's world and discover that the host is currently ganking. What's your prefered method of dealing with this?
    That is the life of a Forest Hunter. Most of the hosts are ganking. That is the norm and not the exception. Make build that deal high damage quickly, have a lot of poise, and use Lloyd's.
    Hawkins172
    Hawkins172
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Hawkins172 Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:08 am

i've been ganked in the forest and i've ganked in the forest for lots of easy souls. but when im hosting pvp in the forest i always leave 2 slots open for invaders.(the only thing better then a 1v1 pvp is a 2v2 pvp in my opinion) don't know if that can be considered ganking. anyway regarding the thread. dark/crystal magic, chain backstabbing or anything that will be a quick kill. if that's not a option, try to lure them to bearcats or treants. they're of great help when facing gankers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 pm