Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
VaDoom
Thedeadships
Micha369
Soris Ice Goldwing
DOOM996
Werdax
hey its andres
Reaver112
twigsterxd
Green__Eagle
Bassman Bob
dalsio
Seignar
Hugh_G_Johnson
Elite Knight
XachAttack
GrinTwist
KrazykevS10
reim0027
Acarnatia
skarekrow13
Serious_Much
Scrotinger
27 posters

Your First Time Playing. Impossible?

Scrotinger

Your First Time Playing. Impossible? Empty Your First Time Playing. Impossible?

Post by Scrotinger Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:31 pm

So, I finally beat Dark Souls today, but it was on like the 4th character I've made.  Looking back at my first character, who I kind of stopped around SL 65 with, I don't think he could ever finish the game.  Having never played a Souls game before this, I messed up the character a lot (ie lots of skill points in the wrong places, upgrading wrong weapons).  So in my opinion, my first character is a lost cause due to bad choices.  Of course, since SL1 playthroughs are possible, I could go back to the character now and figure out a way to cheese through the rest of the game, but I never would have been able to do it back when I made him, without all that knowledge.

So my question to you is, did anyone actually beat the game on their first character? And if you did, did you play Demon's Souls in the past?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Your First Time Playing. Impossible? Empty Re: Your First Time Playing. Impossible?

Post by Serious_Much Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:34 pm

I beat dark souls with my second character.

My first I quit because I aggro'd the crestfallen warrior and I couldnt kill him... yeah
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Your First Time Playing. Impossible? Empty Re: Your First Time Playing. Impossible?

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:58 pm

I beat it with my first. Platinum with it actually. I didn't worry about level cap so I'll admit it wasn't a perfect character but it was good enough to finish.

I did play Demon's first. I also got platinum with my first character on that game too though. I didn't even have a second character in Demon's until this summer (you can read about his exploits linked in my signature below)
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:11 pm

I beat it on omy second. On my first, I didn't have my ps3 online and I got fed up with losing once-per-playthrough things when Kirk fell to his death in the Demon Ruins and I couldn't retrieve his stuff.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:33 pm

Beat it with my first. Plat in DeS, so I wasn't inexperienced. But, that isn't to say it was an easy victory at all.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:35 pm

I beat it on my first,I quit for a month or so after I reached Gwyn and had to swap to a black iron greatshield to beat him.I had no idea what the hell I was doing when I made this build,I never upgraded vitality or endurance until I was far into NG+.Earning the Dark Set took me quite a while which I also did on NG+ a while after beating the game.The build was something like this,I may edit it later if I load up the character to check my stats.

(This was pre-DWGR nerf,when you could use it above 25% equip weight)

http://mmdks.com/3tea
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:46 pm

I beat it on my third character.

I accidently aggro'd the crestfallen warrior on my first character and got cursed twice on my second c character.
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:51 pm

I beat it with my first character as well, though like most new people, I put stats in bad places. Didn't make beating Ornstein solo any less sweeter though lol.

I had no Souls experience before this.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:08 am

I actually had a Knight as my first character, when I pre-ordered the game on a whim. Called him Roland. Made it through all the way to Blighttown (and what an infuriating adventure that was). I found the Iaito out of dumb luck, and tried using it, didn't understand which stat to increase in order to use it effectively. Sunk a lot of stat points in the wrong places.

Made it to the bottom of Blighttown, not knowing where to go. Kept dying because of poison, having to restart from the bonfire on the bridge. Got pissed, sold the game.

Couple months later, I traded in Skyrim to give Dark Souls another chance. Started over with a Knight again, played through. Did better stat-wise, and discovered EpicNameBro's videos looking for guides. Got through the game that way. Felt happy, and made more characters.

Basically, I've purchased Dark Souls four times at this point. I'm glad I decided to give it another shot. My first character was horrendous, to say the least, but that second time around was really worth it.

I kinda miss Roland, actually. :')
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:12 am

Roland?

Deschain?

Now that's a knight!

And if so it's appropriate given the circuitous nature of the story
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:15 am

I got through no problem on my first character.  But, I played Demon's Souls first and researched character creation (no mugen, just enough to know what to level and how much).  I got platinum with that character and I still have it.  I over-leveled it, but it ended up ok stat-wise.  I recall having 50 faith before SL 100 which is ridiculous (I had no buffs and no wog), but for pve/co-op it was fine (I had plenty of lightning spears).  

Demon's Souls was a different experience.  I had to deleted my first toon after 45 minutes of trying to get through 1-1.  I beat all the bosses on my next toon, but I killed Allant and used his soul before beating the rest of the bosses so I couldn't go below the Nexus. Look Skyward
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:45 am

I beat the game with my second character. Not because I got stuck somewhere or I made some grave mistake, but rather, I ragequitted.

You would ragequit too, if you spent your first 20 hours going down the Catacombs, into the TotG, then climbed back from that underworld...only to casually find the way into the Burg...and demolish it. EXPERIENCE RUINED. There can be no greater evil!

Otherwise, I would have beat the game on my first character...and yes, I did play Demon Souls.
    dalsio
    dalsio
    Regular
    Regular

Post by dalsio Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:31 am

Beat it with my first character, and I hadn't (still haven't, :C) played demon souls.

I did put some points into places I shouldn't have, but I usually have pretty good instincts with RPG's as to what stats are good/overpowered to put points into.

I don't remember exactly how easy it was or at what level I beat the game, but it was probably at some high level. It's been a while and I deleted my save, so I don't remember. I know my biggest difficulty was memorization. Figuring out what to do and my timing for doing them was easy for me, but memorizing attack patterns and how to avoid them was hard. I remember dying to Quelaag quite a few times before I got used to reading her tells, and sen's fortress was pure evil with all the traps and paths I had to memorize.

Now, I can beat the game much easier and at a much lower level than I could before. I don't even die to Quelaag anymore. (That rhymed.)
    Bassman Bob
    Bassman Bob
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bassman Bob Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:27 am

Beat it on my first character. first death was on gargoyles.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:40 am

Your First Time Playing. Impossible? Spread12

I've played Demon's Souls so I had a good idea of the player mechanics. I recommend using a spreadsheet to keep track of your guys. Very helpful, especially with 10 save slots and someone asks you for help.

My first character for Dark Souls was a Hunter and I finished the game in a month at SL109 and 154 hours of game play.

My stats were all over the place as I would level up to experiment with different weapons as I found them.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:37 am

Like mostly everyone who posted, I played Demon Souls and after a couple days of getting constantly killed I met a player who helped me out with the game and I beat Demons with my 1st and only character.
    Dark took 3 toons because I wasn't used to the builds yet, (still not 100% on them). After my 3rd attempt, I beat the game. Didn't die too often with any of them, it was just my stats being in the wrong place. Never platinumed Dark, (don't care about trophies). But, now I can make any build and beat the game.
    BTW, it only took me a week to finish it.
    Reaver112

Post by Reaver112 Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:11 am

I beat it on my second character. First was a Knight, and things were going pretty well for him. I was fat rolling my way through everything, then I accidentally aggro'd Andre. Didn't know I could run away and absolve my sins and make everything ok, so I killed him. My Bandit did much better, and I eventually platinumed with him.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:42 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Roland?

Deschain?

Now that's a knight!

You and I are going to be the best of friends. :b
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:43 pm

Elite Knight wrote:
    skarekrow13 wrote:Roland?

Deschain?

Now that's a knight!

You and I are going to be the best of friends. :b
    One of my favorite book series of all time.

EDIT: +1 to both of you.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:58 pm

Amazing story. Definitely my favorite. There's even an implied scarecrow!

Back on topicish my first character for both games (and almost every game actually) is:

Ded

This shows my age but when I first started gaming there were a lot of arcades and places with arcade games around. Those and many of the first console games only allowed you to use an identity if you achieved a high score and the limit was three characters. Rather than use my initials like a normal human being I figured that the only time my play earned me anything was when I was out of lives. Aka "dead" or "DED" in the old arcade style. I keep using it since those three letters have always meant I achieved something big and I want all my video game personas to continue that.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:36 am

My first time was pretty rough. He [Dark Souls] wasn't very considerate of my feelings and was very rough. I thought he was the one. Anyways, all those stories about being pregnant the first time being possible are true. I don't mind being married to him, though. It was the best thing that could have ever happened, and he's definitely a better lover now. He's even letting me kill people with his +5 lightning bonewheel shield with a red tearstone ring, how kinky is that?!

Yeah I beat it on my first character using a bandit's knife, quelaag's furysword, and a pyromancy glove. I didn't get leveling up so I leveling up resistance, strength, and intelligence.laughing 
    Werdax
    Werdax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Werdax Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:07 am

I completed the game with my first character, without playing demons souls first. I was heavily considering to make a new character on multiple occasions, as it often went wrong for me, and I knew that if I had a second chance I could make much better decisions.

I went to New londo as my first location when I got to firelink shrine (followed by the graveyard).
    I got stuck on the gargoyles. I spent an eternity searching for the sewers.
    I kept entering the exit of blighttown (and thus had no idea of where I was suppose to go AND I kept getting exposed to toxic).
    I died more times to several black knights then I am proud to admit.
    I went all the way down to the golden fog gate in the catacombs, without a divine weapon and without knowing I had a lanturn (and this was of course long before I had the lordvessel).
    It never occurred to me that I could summon other players or NPCs.
    I was fatrolling through the entire game.
    I never read the description of any of the item I found, mainly because I never took the time to find out how to do so.
    I was leveling resistance up to level 30.

Really, I could go on and on, but that would literally take all day to write down. Point is, is wasn't impossible, but it sure was difficult.
    DOOM996
    DOOM996

Post by DOOM996 Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:42 pm

I completed the game with my first char but i´ve had some help from my buddy. He is on his fifth playthrough right now and he gave me some nice tipps and helped me out a lot. Right now i´am in the middle of my second run with my lvl 130 character and i still love to play that game!
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:58 pm

My first time on my first build when the game came out. Started as a knight which I never should have done since it took 26 time to kill the asylum demon. Well I lasted long enough and made it through the game with it.
    Micha369
    Micha369
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Micha369 Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:51 am

I never played any Souls games before and I managed the game with my first toon but it took me a long time! And each boss was a challenge! After a few dyings I always studied videos on youtube. And I used this forum and the wiki a lot for help. After this I managed the bosses but I can remember that for some bosses it took me ages! At the end boss Gwyn I had sl 117 or so. After that I started a new toon and was much better, though. And I didn't use co-op in my first run.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:20 pm