Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Odinbear
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Aigaios
Back Lot Basher
IHateTheFourKings
9 posters

What to level up and when

IHateTheFourKings
    IHateTheFourKings
    Addicted
    Addicted

What to level up and when Empty What to level up and when

Post by IHateTheFourKings Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:36 pm

I've played through Dark Souls too many times to realistically need to have this answered, but I've always been a bit unsure about my character building. I mostly use a build that's balanced between str and dex with a healthy dose of vit and end, but I feel like I don't know how to level the appropriate stat at the right time. My str/dex are virtually always at the same levels as my vit/end, and I feel like I shouldn't be doing that based on what I've seen from basically every person who plays the game in the gameplay videos I've watched.

Similarly, I find myself not even touching int or fth, even for useful utility spells like homeward or heal. I want to invest points into those for that purpose, but I feel like I'm taking too much from my favored stats.

While I know there's no "right" or "wrong" way to play the game, I feel like I should be making more of my builds than I do. If I'm crazy and should just play how I have been, or if someone has advice, I'd be interested in hearing it.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What to level up and when Empty Re: What to level up and when

Post by Back Lot Basher Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:51 pm

I usually level my str and dex so I can wield weapons I want.  Then I get vitality and endurance up to around 20 for the first half of the game.  Then start leveling skill that I'm specializing in (int, dex, str, fai).  Once they get to mid-level, I spend the second half of the game leveling them all about equally, with maybe a bit more emphasis on my skills.
    Aigaios
    Aigaios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aigaios Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:55 pm

There is nothing wrong with the way you play, if you enjoy it then you are fulfilling the main point of playing a video game. I would advise experimenting with different things though. It widens your understanding of different weapons, play styles and spells and its really fun, at least in my opinion
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:02 pm

I usually get my main scaling stat(s) up first so that I can use the weapons I want or if I'm going to be using spells - Attunement. I make sure to get some Endurance too so that I can keep fast roll (it's very important to me). After all that's done I pump Vitality and finish rounding out my Endurance.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:31 am

Me thinks this way... If I'm building a Mage or STR/Mage I lvl STR & INT.  I watch what each point does cause, sometimes the jump is 2-3 points on what is affected and if there comes a time when souls are limited and one stat provides 2 points up and the other only 1 , I usually go with the higher.  If building a melee STR , all points go to STR , I do not waste them on INT OR FAITH, ESPECIALLY AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME. Sometimes I'll go up in DEX to wield a certain weapon but then it's moving to what some call a Quality Build.  My DEX/INT char leveled only DEX and started puttin points into INT after I reached the DLC. ( and DEX at 40).  My FAITH/STR build is gettin only points in FAITH & STR.
    I Do put some points into VIT & END on all characters, but Only when needed. Better to Hit hard than look healthy. Lol

I find that choosing a stat and just investing full bore works best. But you'll end up with toons that can't use bows, or magic or miracles.  Therefore, no jack-of-all-trade builds.
    Faceman
    Faceman

Post by Faceman Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:54 pm

I make new toons all the time. For me I like to get my damage output up. So, if iIm using faith or int and want a weapon that scales off of that I level that up. I usually get my endurance to around 15 or so, kill Havel toss on his ring bam you just got 50 more equipment burden. 

IMO, the FAP ring and Havels ring can replace stats in the early game even if you don't plan to use them in the long run. You cannot get a ring that adds INT or Faith or str or dex. 

Once you have played the game long enough VIT doesn't really matter because most Mobs wont hit you anyway. I can clear Anor Londo and all bosses before that in about 2-2:30 hours now which I think is pretty good. 

My route for every new toon is, master key into blighttown, grab the three knight souls. Pop a humanity, rest and bonfire. Lvl up whatever you want. Turn human, kill Mildred, rest again and lvl up. Run to Quelag, summon Mildred. Mildred will actually be very helpful here, just try and keep here alive. After that is done, kill her sister for plus 5000 souls and a firekeeper soul. Use the trick to kill ceaseless, homeward back to blightown. Bam, you just got to level like 25 in under 20 min.
    chantienyee
    chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:38 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I usually get my main scaling stat(s) up first so that I can use the weapons I want or if I'm going to be using spells - Attunement. I make sure to get some Endurance too so that I can keep fast roll (it's very important to me). After all that's done I pump Vitality and finish rounding out my Endurance.
    This is mainly my approach too, since I try not to get hit or rely on a shield much anyway, so vitality is kind of just a luxury.
    IHateTheFourKings
    IHateTheFourKings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by IHateTheFourKings Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks for all the advice, I'll see if I can apply it well. Also, is it a str/dex build even good to begin with? I want to make a build centered around the Claymore.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Oh no! Do I have to make yet another long post about Quality builds? Forget it, I'll give the short answer:

Yes, for its damage/versatility. You can even go the extra mile and put 10 ATT and 15 INT so you can add a Great Magic Weapon with the Ivory Catayst (This type of build can be named the Quality Spellsword). These types of builds have high and consistent damage outputs and own the largest weapon arsenal in the game, making them versatile against most opponents. They, however, have sub-par VIT and END, which are ironically, key stats in melee.
    SunBroYo
    SunBroYo

Post by SunBroYo Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:53 pm

I have a few tips that might help make your life easier. 

1. Learn how to dodge and not get hit and block hits as they come in if you absolutely have to. Also use the appropriate shield for what ever area youre in. If you never get hit you never need points in vit. Therefore allowing you to put all your points into more important stats and vit last.

2. RUN. You dont need to kill everything you see. Choose your battles if you must and try to stick to 1v1. If 1v1 or running isnt an option try to line up targets so that you hit multiples in a single swing.

3. Invest into pyromancy. I cannot stress this enough. At sl1 you can use pyromancy to do such insane damage people really have no excuse. Take the time to get the crown of dusk and bellowing dragon crest ring. Wear the said gear and buff up with pyromancy and youll be ripping bosses like no other. Except those that are strong vs fire of course.

4. Learn to use power within. Power within is easily my favourite and most used spell. It gives you a whopping 40% damage boost and only drains youre health slowly which can easily be countered be...you guessed it. Drinking a dose of estus. 

5. AVOID the favor ring at all costs. It traps you into a single ring slot and will comfort you into thinking its great until you realize the extra hp stamina and load are not worth an entire ring slot for the entirety of you game. 

6. Avoid the grass crest unless youre two handing a weapon. This really isnt a big deal but the 5% physical reduction really adds up after a while. Especially in higher playthroughs. 

That being said I would always recommend putting points into your offense first. Because if everything is too dead to even get near you, you have no need to worry about stockpiling vitality to take more hits. Endurance is also a secondary stat and would recommend you only put the points needed to wield the gear you need at the time being.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:50 am