Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+31
Myztyrio
sinspaw
Soul of Stray Demon
Kiva the wanderer
Ferrous Mathias
thrill
XuitusTheGreat
phastings
Cronotis
jaythibodeau
Steel Dragon74
Argetlam350
Juutas
Icegodzilla
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
SATLOS
skarekrow13
Onion Knight
CaligoIllioneus
δelta
Marino.
>Brave<
Serious_Much
passivefamiliar
Sneezer
FexDS
steveswede
Noob-of-Artorias
Tolvo
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Ashran
35 posters

Exclusive Preorder Weapons?

Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Exclusive Preorder Weapons? - Page 2 Empty Oh my god no..."retailer-specific pre-order bonuses for Dark Souls II"

Post by Juutas Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:49 pm

http://gematsu.com/2013/10/dark-souls-ii-japanese-box-art-pre-order-bonuses

oh boy....
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Exclusive Preorder Weapons? - Page 2 Empty Re: Exclusive Preorder Weapons?

Post by Argetlam350 Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Yeah HellkiteDrake put a vide up showing them all:

Then someone had a link to like their descriptions and what they are called:
    https://i.imgur.com/ftqlxRc.png

I will say though the box art is pretty cool looking. But yeah really not to happy about this move. It's also announced to be preordered DLC someone said on HellkiteDrake's channel but I have no real link to comfirm if that is true. Hopefully these weapons are not that great and still need to be found before being able to use them. At least they all look like crap, no offense but all the stuff covering them make them look terrible. Still hate the preorder items though. I really never wanted to see Fromsoft do something like this.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:23 pm

I kinda like the longsword :/ but I'm not going to get it...
    Steel Dragon74
    Steel Dragon74
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Steel Dragon74 Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Is it just me or do they all look like pieces of equipment from DkS1 underneth the crystals and whatnot?
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:34 pm

δelta wrote:Okay... translation below, and I apologize for any errors. For those who want the short version, the weapons are basically rebalanced versions of starter gear with added effects eg add bleed, lower durability. Also, and I'm not sure, but they are obtainable ingame, the preorder people just get it earlier.
    I wonder if they are just obtainable weapons or weapons now visually display their upgrade paths.
    jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by jaythibodeau Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:03 pm

I actually like how all of them look. It's sorta fitting.
    So long as they're obtainable in the game, I don't really see it as an issue. But, why bother making it a pre-order bonus then? This worries me...
    Cronotis
    Cronotis
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cronotis Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Eww. worried

Souls and Pre-order weapons don't mix, period. If they're attainable be traditional means then it's not that big of a deal, but if so then why even bother with the pre-order bonus? I dunno, smells fishy. It could mean the difference between a day one purchase, a used purchase, or a boycott for me.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Did not miyazaki or one of the other directors state in an interview that they did not believe in DLC? I realize this is pre-order bonus stuff, but I swear ive read that they would not want to implement DLC equipment..

ill search for the article. standby.
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Argetlam350 Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:33 pm

ENB's view on what these preorders are. About from the start of the video to 11:00 minutes if you just want to hear his opinion on the preorder stuff.

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:52 pm

It looks like I won't be buying Dark Souls 2 in protest. That's a shame.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Tolvo wrote:It looks like I won't be buying Dark Souls 2 in protest. That's a shame.
    You serious, ghoulvo?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:47 pm

Yes I am, my ethics and beliefs are very important to me.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:24 pm

If my ethics and beliefs would prevent me from enjoying a Game then i would tell my ethics to go f*ck themselfs .
    It's just a game, just another company trying to make money of off their work .

And you're going to refuse getting it because they're doing what pretty much every other game company also does ?
    Not to mention we still don't know what these Weapons are even about and if they're really Pre-Order only and not obtainable otherwise or not ?

I think you don't even like the Souls games if you let some normal business practices get to you like that .

Sorry Tolvo, but i just don't get it .
    XuitusTheGreat
    XuitusTheGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XuitusTheGreat Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:54 am

why are people freaking out this hardcore over this....... this is just simply a multi layered PR moved to help encourage pre-sales. It shows off the various paths and what the benefits and negatives are and is a basic longsword/axe and shield each base level for their path. This gives us insight and isn't going to affect really anything in game since it's not like these are op weapons. If the weapons bother you taht much then sit back, wait, and play the game offline till you just get the weapon yourself. Im stunned at how petty people are willing to be over this. Shame on all of you for turning your back on a great game cause it has a dlc item for pre-sale. I will enjoy this game, support From, and regret not a single moment of playing Dark Souls II during the first day.

These aren't +10 Fire Claymores being given out, its +0 crystal/dark/bleed/etc and you should note that none of the affects are high dmg add ons all of them are auxiliary

this is probably harsher than need be from me but I am quite disappointed on how quick people turn their back on Dark Souls II over something silly
    thrill

Post by thrill Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:08 am

Marino. wrote:If my ethics and beliefs would prevent me from enjoying a Game then i would tell my ethics to go f*ck themselfs .

And you're going to refuse getting it because they're doing what pretty much every other game company also does ?
    Not to mention we still don't know what these Weapons are even about and if they're really Pre-Order only and not obtainable otherwise or not ?

I think you don't even like the Souls games if you let some normal business practices get to you like that .

Sorry Tolvo, but i just don't get it .
    It's become standard practice only because the average consumer (you) puts up with it. There are other ways to protest these practices besides just not buying the games however. If there's preorder locked 'DLC' for a game, don't preorder it, and don't buy it from the retailers that have the preorder deals. If a game has pay to unlock 'DLC' on the disc, don't pay for it, or better yet, put off purchasing the game entirely until the GoTY/extend/komplete/whatever edition comes out.

And I don't think fromsoft wanted this type of 'DLC' in the game, hence why these weapons look like complete garbage. I would guess namco made these pre-order deals and fromsoft had to comply, but they did so a pretty trollish way. I mean these weapons look like they're coated in insulation foam, duct tape, cat vomit, etc. It has to be deliberate.

Last edited by thrill on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:11 am

"And you're going to refuse getting it because they're doing what pretty much every other game company also does ?"
    Do you see me buying those games?
    "Not to mention we still don't know what these Weapons are even about and if they're really Pre-Order only and not obtainable otherwise or not ?"
    Even if they are obtainable in game I do not like this business model and find it to be highly anti-consumer, not to mention if it simply gives you powerful weapons early on it is a way to pay to make Dark Souls 2 easier for people, which I'm strongly against.
    "I think you don't even like the Souls games if you let some normal business practices get to you like that ."
    I do like the Souls games, what I don't like is anti-consumer business practices.
    "Sorry Tolvo, but i just don't get it ."
    I'm sorry that you're an ignorant person, that's not my fault but yours. Deal with it accordingly and don't expect me to lose any sleep over it.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:15 am

they remind me of crystal weapons/shields, whose durability are finite; once broken cannot be repaired. if this is the case, who cares. i dont give a shart about limited-use items anyhow (unless i have the duplicator from sotn of course)

and who is to say that this isnt the work of some troll who is good at graphics..

Thrill has a point, but there is no way enough gamers could boycott enough games to quell the publishers/devs from their unethical merchandizing schemes..

I wouldnt mind if they released extra content, but not if that content would have been in the game anyway and now its locked out till i pay more for it.

It might be a good thing if they get the DLC out of the way now, and not post-release like they did with PTDE. This way they can start working on the next-gen DkS3 sooner than later, if thats in the cards
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:27 am

Guys, no ad-hominems, let's not get the thread locked yes?

People can keep their opinions on this subject, you aren't gonna change someone's mind about buying a product or not by reminding them every other game does it.

I personally don't find this a rule-breaker *if* the items are not OP to begin with. I imagine they will be only slightly useful going by how other RPG starter weapons have been.

I do think we will get DLC and add-ons with special items, but we cannot judge how it affects the game until it happens. For example I loved Dragon's Dogma and it had so many little DLC advantages I never required or used. However Dark Souls has an online component and as such is subject to the "pay to win" problem - so devs will have to ensure any extra stuff is cosmetic.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:27 am

XuitusTheGreat wrote:why are people freaking out this hardcore over this
    Knee jerk reaction due to publishes fragmenting content on purpose to squeeze more money out of gamers with late adopters missing out, plus can come across as pay to win gear effectively giving an unfair advantage to people against others online.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:30 am

If it doesn't bother people, they can still buy it. I was just saying it does bother me with giving a few reasons originally. Perhaps to open discussion with others who are like minded since it would be an on subject talk. If other people are going to buy it though I'm not going to insult them for it. I just feel that expressing one's opinion in regards to products is generally done through the wallet and this is something I dislike heavily.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:31 am

What if they do a 180 on this decision? Whatever it is, as I'm still not 100% sure what it is.

The game doesn't come out for a few months after all.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:33 am

If they do a 180 on this decision and revoke this content then I'll be happy and likely buy the game.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:20 am

thrill wrote:
    It's become standard practice only because the average consumer (you) puts up with it. There are other ways to protest these practices besides just not buying the games however. If there's preorder locked 'DLC' for a game, don't preorder it, and don't buy it from the retailers that have the preorder deals. If a game has pay to unlock 'DLC' on the disc, don't pay for it, or better yet, put off purchasing the game entirely until the GoTY/extend/komplete/whatever edition comes out.

And I don't think fromsoft wanted this type of 'DLC' in the game, hence why these weapons look like complete garbage. I would guess namco made these pre-order deals and fromsoft had to comply, but they did so a pretty trollish way. I mean these weapons look like they're coated in insulation foam, duct tape, cat vomit, etc. It has to be deliberate.
    I don't think i count as the average costumer as i rarely ever buy Games these days (Triple A games at least), i'm just a Souls fanboy who has 20 bucks on his PSN Account that he has nothing to do with after Darks 2 .
    I put up with it because i like the game and i see no reason to change some silly business practices over this .

I can understand why you would dislike DLC, there have been some ridiculous DLC cases, stuff like "On Disk DLC" where you have to pay for it to unlock the things that are already on the Disc, and some controversial "Pre-Order DLC" like in one of the Assassins Creed games that contained Story related content .

However, i think it is wrong to condemn the whole thing and let it prevent you from enjoying the game, especially if it's just about a few ugly as f*ck Weapons as you pointed out .
    In times of Steam and fast Internet connection and activities this is an inevitable step in that direction .
    Maybe people should just go with the times .

However, i don't care what happens to the gaming industrie anyway, it can all go to hell in 3 Years for all i care lol.

FexDS wrote:Guys, no ad-hominems, let's not get the thread locked yes?

People can keep their opinions on this subject, you aren't gonna change someone's mind about buying a product or not by reminding them every other game does it.
    Silly, Fex .

Nobody's ever going to change their opinion about anything on the Internet, that's what the Internet is about after all, to spew your BS opinions and have people eat it all up without thought .
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:23 am

Marino. wrote:If my ethics and beliefs would prevent me from enjoying a Game then i would tell my ethics to go f*ck themselfs .

The 'everybody else does it so it's fine' and 'you don't like the games anyway' are just hollow corporate apologist arguments.

If you want to buy the game that's fine but lashing out angrily against those who believe it violates their consumer rights is just making you look like a rapid fanboy with no grasp on reality.
    XuitusTheGreat
    XuitusTheGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XuitusTheGreat Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:43 am

Onion Knight wrote:

The 'everybody else does it so it's fine' and 'you don't like the games anyway' are just hollow corporate apologist arguments.

If you want to buy the game that's fine but lashing out angrily against those who believe it violates their consumer rights is just making you look like a rapid fanboy with no grasp on reality.
    what consumer right is being violated...... hell if you are one of the first 500 people to a baseball game you get stuff for being there super early. This is just an incentive to buy the game early and boost launch sales, how does this violate any of your consumer rights?

also wow never expected this community to be so.....aggressive towards one another shame

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:39 pm