Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
RaSoul
Imarreteet23
DoughGuy
Serious_Much
PlasticandRage
Deadpool
Quarik
11 posters

Oblivion Reminiscin'

Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Oblivion Reminiscin' Empty Oblivion Reminiscin'

Post by Quarik Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:38 pm

I'm almost 100% sure that this is just nostalgia glasses, but I liked Oblivion more than Skyrim. The only things I can think of that I preferred in Obliv are music and environment (oh, and I was relatively young when I first played it, it was one of my first games).

What do you think about Oblivion and to a lesser degree Skyrim? I've never played Morrowind, Daggerfall, or Arena, so I can't say anything about them.
    Deadpool
    Deadpool
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : In front of my mirror thanking god for my sexy looks

Oblivion Reminiscin' Empty Re: Oblivion Reminiscin'

Post by Deadpool Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:04 pm

I absolutely loved skyrim!
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:06 pm

One thing I absolutely liked better about Oblivion was the bug situation. From what I've read it's just as buggy as Skyrim, but I guess I must have gotten lucky because I don't remember ever experiencing any bugs. Whereas in Skyrim I can hardly turn it on without it crashing my PS3.

My only big qualm with Oblivion is that you couldn't really function as a primary bow user and you absolutely can in Skyrim. My play style in games like those is generally stealth, arrows, and back up magic. Basically Dark Elves. All arrows are really good for in Oblivion is softening up enemies before they close the distance between you.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:09 pm

I play very similarly to you then. I didn't use much magic, but I killed about half of my enemies with arrows, 40% with shadowrend/umbra/dawnthingy, and 10% with magic. Everything else I just snuck past.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Skyrim (240 hours logged), and it was better in almost every respect, but it lacks nostalgia.
    Deadpool
    Deadpool
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deadpool Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:38 pm

I had a little glitche issue after about 100 hour gameplay. When it started doing the frame lag thing i would just turn my ps3 off, turn it back on and be good for another three to four hours. It wasnt really that big of a deal on my part. Now with the patch I have had no freeze or frame rate drops at all.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:40 pm

Oblivion hooked me for a good 30 hours, but skyrim only 10. Then again I can't really say Im much of a fan of elder scrolls due to this, i much preferred fallout 3 when i played it to oblivion.

Last edited by Serious_Much on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Deadpool
    Deadpool
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deadpool Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:53 pm

"Skyrim hooked me for a good 30 hours, but skyrim only 10."

Serious_Much

lol which one is it?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:54 pm

In oblivion I found that the melee combat was so boring. However in Skyrim I never cam across that. i think the shield bash and duel wielding allowed me to switch my technique enough that I never got bored of it. However I had the Goty Oblivion on PC compared to the first day release of Skyrim on PS3. The lag caused by my 16mb file and the hourly crashes made me give up on skyrim a lot earlier than I gave up on oblivion.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Deadpool wrote:"Skyrim hooked me for a good 30 hours, but skyrim only 10."

Serious_Much

lol which one is it?

excuse me?

but yeah, i guess I put in skyrim, thought "Oh look it's exactly the same, kinda bored now", then stopped playing it and played Dark Souls some more. I'm glad i didnt pay for skyrim in all honesty
    Deadpool
    Deadpool
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deadpool Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:58 pm

you edited it and fixed it. you had skyrim twice.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:59 pm

yes deadpool, that was the point silly

anyways, I preferred the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion, it was far more sinister I feel
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:00 pm

When did this become a Skyrim thread? Lol, anyways, I was hooked on Skyrim for a good 90 hours. But, once I finished most of the quests, I stoped playing.
    Deadpool
    Deadpool
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deadpool Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Serious_Much wrote:yes deadpool, that was the point silly

anyways, I preferred the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion, it was far more sinister I feel

oooooo serious you trickster you happy
    Deadpool
    Deadpool
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deadpool Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:02 pm

Imarreteet23 wrote:When did this become a Skyrim thread? Lol, anyways, I was hooked on Skyrim for a good 90 hours. But, once I finished most of the quests, I stoped playing.

Man you finished most of the quests? How many is there exactly? I have a 120 hour profile and i probably still havent hit halfway.
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:05 pm

Well, it seemed like I had finished most of them. I was on a second guy, and I was like "You know, I haven't seen a new quest on this entire playthrough." I stoped playing shortly thereafter.
    Deadpool
    Deadpool
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deadpool Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:07 pm

When i play i mainly just go and discover and investigate an area. Missions were never a number one thing to do for me on this game.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:10 pm

A lot of the quests are triggered by picking up random item x or going into looks the exact same as the last 347 caves. I have to agree about the dark brotherhood. The way you got into them was far better than going to help out some kid. Random killing people then getting visited in your sleep! Also the pure stone hideout worked far better than dirt and trees.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:04 am

I've done pretty much everything in both IV and V, and the quests were just so much more interesting in IV. Combat was terrible, AI was broken, animations were bizarre, and conversations were lame, but I liked it more. Actually, two best things I ever did in Skyrim were (A) Kill the entire town of Riften with nothing but a cabbage, advanced skill in Alteration, and infinite magicka. (B) Follow a guy with a sacrificial ox for 45 minutes (no joke) to a giant camp only to watch him join Newt Gingrich on the moon. Secret option (3), the Sheogorath shrine quest in IV was the bee's knees (Shivering Isles was cool too). If you haven't done that quest, go out, buy the game, and do it. No spoilers. silly

Last edited by Quarik on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
    RaSoul
    RaSoul
    Regular
    Regular

Post by RaSoul Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:53 am

I had a good experience with Skyrim until I had this bug:

I was helping the Stormcloaks conquer all of Skyrim and it went all good until the last City.. Solitude?

Well I went into the room where we had to fight until the council-like person would give up. We fought and he kneeled but he didnt give up, and my quest comrades were just standing bugged meanwhile the Emperial council and his bodyguard went on me. I bested them both, but the council would just kneel and nothing more. Even if I rested he was still on his knees, this pretty much bummed my game...

If you know why this happens, please tell me! Searched everything!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:18 am

I loved oblivion, I loved how the fast travel system worked and how I actually needed the map and to write down directions, I loved how all the enemies didn't magically scale to my strength and how some areas were absurd to considered entering befoe level 20, I loved the selection of skills, armor and weapon, I loved how level 20 took 35 hours to get to if you were quick about it, how many factions you could join and how their stories and progress were implemented.

Oh wait, that was morrowind. Oblivion was the samey enchanted forest where each guild took about 4 hours and the main story was the primary focus.

Skyrims a passable hybrid of the 2. Its just as good as morrowind, just in different ways.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:46 pm

Maybe it's time to pick up Morrowind. Then again, my grades drop every time I get a game like that, so...
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Morrowind has been my favorite so far. Played that one, Oblivion and Skyrim. Oblivion expansions are good. Shivering Isles is pretty awexome. Skyrim so far is shaping up better than Oblivion in my opinion. There are some creatures I need to be creative to kill. Oblivion everything scaled to you so I stealthed my way around in the first Oblivion Gate since Morrowind that woulda been insta death with those creatures and found out it was not the end of the world. I love the variety of skills and creativity you can employ in the game if you wish. Killing someone with a poison apple was cool. Making a trophy fall on them is a good idea too. The best quests are the random ones, like the gang of women who try to seduce and mug you. Skyrim gets the nod due to some combat improvements. It's actually feasible to have different styles and the finishing moves keep things interesting.
    sinisterapathy
    sinisterapathy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinisterapathy Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:28 pm

TES is probably my favorite series...Started with III been hooked every since...the sheer scale and freedom is something you never see in other games.

The only thing i miss from III that they didnt carry on with was the fact that if you were strong enough you could defeat a god. I loved killing that pretentious Vivec after id finished off dagoth ur..the hardest enemy in the game imo...though i never got the chance to play the expansions.

As for IV my favorite part was simply speaking with Sheogorath...cracked me up every time.

Love Skyrim and cant wait for an expansion. Though i still love to explore the land of Skyrim.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:04 pm

I really enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion. I think I sinked a few hundred hours into them. Haven't played them in a few years though. Didn't really play Skyrim that much. Maybe 30 hours. It was a decent game. The biggest reason why I didn't play it as much as the others was Dark Souls.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:56 pm

The thing I always loved about Oblivion was the random stuff. Like getting mugged. I stil get excited when I get mugged in game. Skyrim did that a little but not as much.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content