Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Karn
cloudyeki
Maneater_Mildred
Invading4fun
User
BLA1NE
ARSP
Rynn
reim0027
RANT
befowler
Glutebrah
skarekrow13
Wisp
DamageCK
Jovias-86
billy_bayonet
TehInfamousAmos
22 posters

Opinions on Buffing Weapons

TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Opinions on Buffing Weapons - Page 2 Empty Re: Opinions on Buffing Weapons

Post by TehInfamousAmos Mon May 07, 2012 10:42 am

RantFromRant wrote:i dont mid it, you can still parry them and when people buff they get trigger happy which makes it easier to parry.

Exactly silly
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon May 07, 2012 10:59 am

DamageCK wrote:
    Glutebrah wrote:
    DamageCK wrote:I would much rather someone buff a DGA than a dex weapon. SOOO easy to roll BS whiffs. Like you said, a buff dex weapon is basically the best you could do in the game.

rank 3 50 faith Dark Moon blade Washing pole with a 40/40 build = GG

that will actually be my SL225 build.... at that high level you basically have to use a buff

My main build is 225 and I never buff. Actually, I don't have any intel or faith at all, and I do just fine.

so if i took 40pts out of faith where the hell do i put them??? resistance for the lulz?

and if i face some one who buffs it doesn't change how i face them, just changes how many attempts i have to parry them lol because i take more damage when i am off. but i know how much i hated when people avoided me (forcing me to reroll my SL120), that i treat other buff users the same.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon May 07, 2012 11:02 am

Vit and endurance, stack dex and strength. With enough end you can have all the gear you want and still fast roll, leaving a ring slot open. Works for me anyway.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon May 07, 2012 11:07 am

befowler I'm with you. I lemon buff my Great Scythe a good deal in the forest. I expect to be attacked when I do and don't consider that an issue. If I take the time to cast in battle I do so at my own risk. If someone dodges to let the buff wear off. That's cool too. It's also easy with me since I don't change how I fight buffed vs. non-buffed. I typically go for methodical and look for openings so even if I can get a person in two hits (which is almost never the case in the forest) those two hits will take a while to land. More so if they take off to flask. Some people hunt for ripostes or backstabs to increase their damage. Some people invite friends to the party. I squirt lemon juice on my blade.
    Wisp
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Wisp Mon May 07, 2012 11:39 am

I suppose vitality builds are a good counter to buff builds. If you can dodge them 60 secs then you have huge health advantage afterwards, and if you don't dodge them, you're still more likely to survive.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon May 07, 2012 11:58 am

I have no problem with buffing. I usually don't do it, since my 40/40 build doesn't have any added faith or Int. But, if my opponent buffs, I have a backup "buff". It doesn't wear off. It is called the Hornet's Ring.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon May 07, 2012 12:31 pm

not to mention when you don't rely on buffs you get to use bad *** boss weapons.

Chaos blade, Great Lord Great sword, Life hunt are all best unbuffed weapons of their class and my 3 favorite weapons to use.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon May 07, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm not a major fan of buffs. Something is genuinely broken if the person carrying a rapier has the same damage per hit as the guy carrying a very large hammer.
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Mon May 07, 2012 1:05 pm

You can buff all you like it is not going to stop my bandit's knife +15 from entering your back.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon May 07, 2012 1:32 pm

At SL120, buff builds have serious weaknesses. They need to spend a lot of points into Str and/or Dex, and Fth or Int, and a few in Att. After that, there just isn't much left for Vit and End.

So while they may do more damage than you, if your non-buffing build is as well put-together as theirs is, then you have a lot more vit and defense than they do. And once their buff runs out? The fight is completely skewed in your favor now.

Personally, I'm undecided about them. As someone who used to use them, it was very annoying to run into turtles. But mostly, I just hated that I was either slightly-OP with buff and then very-UP un-buffed. Once your number of casts is up, you're just a weak build with useless Fth (or Int) and Att points.

I just finished my new, non-buff, pure physical build. I'll be trying it out soon, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy it a lot more than I did my buff build. Simply for the fact that this one will be at 100% strength all the time. So I can finally turn Anor Londo dark and challenge all comers at the same time, dropping prism stones as I go, without having to worry about a damn buff that will run out!

If there is one buff I have a problem with in duels, though, it's Power Within. That spell gives a disproportionate buff for the tiny amount of health it takes away. In a duel, that tiny health drain is really not a big deal, but the damage increase is ridiculous. I ran into someone with a Great Club once, who used DMB on it, then cast PW... Ok buddy, way to not make yourself OP at all.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon May 07, 2012 1:44 pm

Glutebrah wrote:not to mention when you don't rely on buffs you get to use bad *** boss weapons.

Chaos blade, Great Lord Great sword, Life hunt are all best unbuffed weapons of their class and my 3 favorite weapons to use.

Chaos Blade <3
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Mon May 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Hiltless <3 Makoto <3 CB <3 My three fav katana's from the soul series
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Opinions on Buffing Weapons - Page 2 Empty My evil strategy

Post by ARSP Mon May 07, 2012 1:55 pm

BLA1NE wrote:At SL120, buff builds have serious weaknesses. They need to spend a lot of points into Str and/or Dex, and Fth or Int, and a few in Att. After that, there just isn't much left for Vit and End.

So while they may do more damage than you, if your non-buffing build is as well put-together as theirs is, then you have a lot more vit and defense than they do. And once their buff runs out? The fight is completely skewed in your favor now.

Personally, I'm undecided about them. As someone who used to use them, it was very annoying to run into turtles. But mostly, I just hated that I was either slightly-OP with buff and then very-UP un-buffed. Once your number of casts is up, you're just a weak build with useless Fth (or Int) and Att points.

I just finished my new, non-buff, pure physical build. I'll be trying it out soon, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy it a lot more than I did my buff build. Simply for the fact that this one will be at 100% strength all the time. So I can finally turn Anor Londo dark and challenge all comers at the same time, dropping prism stones as I go, without having to worry about a damn buff that will run out!

If there is one buff I have a problem with in duels, though, it's Power Within. That spell gives a disproportionate buff for the tiny amount of health it takes away. In a duel, that tiny health drain is really not a big deal, but the damage increase is ridiculous. I ran into someone with a Great Club once, who used DMB on it, then cast PW... Ok buddy, way to not make yourself OP at all.
    Nice analysis Blaine you kind of revealed about half of my pvp strategy. I wear full havels, smough's armor or Elite Knight armor and then since My current PVP build has high dex and end I don't need havel's ring I use the DWGR ring and Hornets ring. Since this build doesn't use magic I carry two weapons a washing pole and a bandit's knife +15. I skirt arouind and flip around my opponent if they are using a buff I dance around until it runs out and I hit them with my Washingpole. If they flask or if I am fighting Gankers then I pull out my Bandit's knife and backstab cutting the fight short
    Side note +1 for you
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon May 07, 2012 2:58 pm

BLA1NE wrote:At SL120, buff builds have serious weaknesses. They need to spend a lot of points into Str and/or Dex, and Fth or Int, and a few in Att. After that, there just isn't much left for Vit and End.

Sadly a lot of people don't look at it in precisely the same light, and I've seen plenty of people who will use CMW on a washing pole, then change to an enchanted washing pole as soon as the effect ends, or even a MLGS, and just keep Dex/STR low. I've also seen people use the RoFAP and DWGR so that they can use less endurance, keeping their HP and Armor up to par, so that they loose little, if any efficiency when it's time to swap over to normal weapons. With enough prep, they can remove any and all disadvantages formed by an attempt to use a buffing build. = (
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon May 07, 2012 3:17 pm

^MLGS is a really good point, hadn't thought about it. Doesn't suffer from spit attack types, and takes advantage of the person's Int.

Can make a pretty OP build: http://tinyurl.com/7njo8yk

Not something I'd personally use--not at all--but I can see how it could be problematic. If you don't mind using the DWGR and only using greatswords (which a lot of people don't...) then I don't really see any weakness in this build. Those who have absolutely no shame could even slap a mask on, for complete OPness...
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Mon May 07, 2012 3:35 pm

well blaine they could also just use a WP or something in spot of the Claymore etc
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Mon May 07, 2012 3:39 pm

example of the a*shole build with variation http://tinyurl.com/7dcveeb
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon May 07, 2012 3:45 pm

I buff because I have the lack of flexing. That and also my block of wood or my sheath of steel turns into a golden ray of kick ***,
    Invading4fun
    Invading4fun

Post by Invading4fun Mon May 07, 2012 3:50 pm

I dont consider buffs too op, after all I am much weaker because I have much lower hp and end (lv120 build with dex at 40 and faith at 50) I use slb and DMB + sometimes PW and my weapons range from all dex weapons but mostly I use the great scyte.
    If I duel my psn friends or someone I find is not so good at pvp I take the buff away but anyways 95% of "duels" are againts REALLY annoying japanese players that lagg and only uses backstabbs (even without buff)
    oh and because of low stamina I cant equip a shield so I use 2h allways.
    build:
    mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=471361116
    Anyways I got tired of the dark souls pvp It is WAY too laggy to be even fun... the latency is usually a half to one sec, its unbearable! I cant understand how in 2012 this is even possible?? on pc a good ping is usually under 100, best if under 50ms (usually) mmos are fine with 200ms or little more. But as this game is a ACTION RPG it cant be 500-1000ms!! I really hope the pc port will fix this issue
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon May 07, 2012 4:27 pm

TehInfamousAmos wrote:well blaine they could also just use a WP or something in spot of the Claymore etc

No point, if you arrange your inventory so that the MLGS and your buffing weapon are right next to each other, you can shave off a lot of weight by just using the inventory to swap weapons mid battle.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Mon May 07, 2012 5:05 pm

My DM will use a buff if up against 2 or 3 players, but my main pvp toon has no buffs and is more fun that way.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon May 07, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm fine with my target buffing, mostly because it puts them in the mindset of "I'm on a timer to kill now". It makes it more interesting. Of course being able to use the bad weapon tracking on some + the moveset also means your probably gonna waste that attunement slot against me.

It's a decent risk/reward thing. If you can land the hits you deserve the damage it affords. It you can't you just wasted time and a cast. I'm probably never gonna rely heavily on damage increasing buffs because of that, but I love poison resin for what it does. I won't use it in a duel unless we've both said it was okay.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon May 07, 2012 5:39 pm

Oh, Poison Resin is hilarious! I love using it against an opponent and then swinging even as they dodge to build up poison. Especially considering how little armor most people have.

Did you know poison slows stamina recovery?
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon May 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Really now. No wonder it makes gankers freak out so much. Anywho, buff if you want I'm just gonna sidestep or backstep away so you whiff and I can slap you afterwards.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon May 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Well, cloudyeti, that is why I bring an egg with me. You see, after I kill you, yolky will be ingesting all your organs, so that it can become bigger and stronger, until it turns into those corrosive worms in the Demon Ruins.

Sidestep or Backstep if you want, but I will consume you one way or another. I just gotta hit you harder, which is what I do all the time anyways.

lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 am