Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
skarekrow13
BLA1NE
WyrmHero
reim0027
Serious_Much
billy_bayonet
EmoElmos
11 posters

General Ground ethics/rules for PvP?

EmoElmos
    EmoElmos
    Regular
    Regular

General Ground ethics/rules for PvP? Empty General Ground ethics/rules for PvP?

Post by EmoElmos Thu May 10, 2012 10:09 pm

I have just started trying out Pvp, and I was wondering if there are certain things to avoid doing, things that you should do, things like that?
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

General Ground ethics/rules for PvP? Empty Re: General Ground ethics/rules for PvP?

Post by billy_bayonet Thu May 10, 2012 10:22 pm

there is an unwritten law that most not all follow, generally spamming of spells and bs fishing is looked down upon if your looking for duels then no healing i would recomend checking out the fightclub thread in the pvp section if you wanna have some honourable duels happy
    EmoElmos
    EmoElmos
    Regular
    Regular

General Ground ethics/rules for PvP? Empty Re: General Ground ethics/rules for PvP?

Post by EmoElmos Thu May 10, 2012 10:25 pm

What about things such as bowing? (Sorry if semi noobish questions btw)
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Thu May 10, 2012 10:28 pm

lols dont be sorry for not knowing things, always give enough distant before bowing some players will be right gits and bow to you then as you bow go for a bs soo allways give some distance but yeah during duels bow to show your ready and most players will stop if you bow if you have to do something like answer a fone or summat along those lines happy
    EmoElmos
    EmoElmos
    Regular
    Regular

Post by EmoElmos Thu May 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Alright, off to the forest for some attempts wit.h me. Thank you Proper Bow
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 10, 2012 10:29 pm

The Golden Rule: Expect nothing of your opponent/s and do not expect them to conform to any unwritten rules you or others abide by.
    EmoElmos
    EmoElmos
    Regular
    Regular

Post by EmoElmos Thu May 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Makes sense. I'll keep that in mind as well
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu May 10, 2012 10:52 pm

There are no hard written rules. But, respect and fairness seem to be a central theme. Here's how I play:

Duels (not being invaded in PvE)
    1. Bow, buff, grass - allow my opponent to get ready as well
    2. No attack spamming
    3. No healing (unless my opponent does)
    4. Bow after fight.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu May 10, 2012 11:03 pm

If they bow you bow. Never taunt after a win.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri May 11, 2012 2:39 am

Yeah, like Reim said, respect and fairness is the root of all our unwritten rules. So if you just think that way, the rules are pretty intuitive. Things like:

- Bow before the fight (to signify you plan on fighting fair)
    - Don't spam spells
    - Don't fish for backstabs
    - Also, if two people are already engaged in a duel, wait your turn!
    - You can bow after the fight if you like, just don't do any rude gestures*

There aren't many "rules", and there are more things you can do to be even more fair, but basically that's it.

And what Serious said is also true: a good portion of the community respects these rules, but some don't. So always be on your guard... And mostly just let things slide! If someone backstabs you while you bow, he's not worth getting upset over.

*Rude gestures: Point Down Look Skyward Well What is it
    EmoElmos
    EmoElmos
    Regular
    Regular

Post by EmoElmos Fri May 11, 2012 12:01 pm

hm, alright guys, I'll keep that stuff in mind with my character. But final question, using a caster for pvp leads to situations where I end up using spells a lot, is it closer to less rude if that's what your build is centered around?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 11, 2012 12:24 pm

The spamming spells is more like Wrath of the Gods or Chaos Great Fireball in which all you have to do is jam on r1 repeatedly and have a ridiculous amount of casts (meaning that's all you're going to do). If you're using the arrow or spell spears I think it's expected you need to use those like a sword really. Move, fire, set up attack, fire etc. I don't think that will be seen as spamming. Piggybacking on Serious I don't know how many people have bought the game but not everyone even in the forums here agree on fair etc. and last I looked the number of people here are about 1400. So the small fraction of players we make up might have a general consensus but there's no reasonable expectation that most players have agreed to our decisions. You also mentioned forest. If there's one place in the game in which you shouldn't count on ethics that's the place. You'll learn pretty quick how to identify an unfair fight there. I never bow if there's more than one person I invade but will often stand at a safe distance since sometimes the host will stand back while the phantom fights you fair. If I see a lone host I always bow first and from a distance. I learned the hard way what happens when they bowed and I wanted to be nice back.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Fri May 11, 2012 12:34 pm

Do unto others before they do unto you.... The only real dark souls rule.

Having said that i use my own rules much the same as blaine or reim.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri May 11, 2012 12:36 pm

If you are me, their is only on ethic to follow: Survive.

Fairness and Policies is a treat that only you and the people you fight must cooperate with. If one does not, than do not hold it firmly at all.

If they bow, you can bow. If they taunt, well they got it. If you have an egg, you can do both!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Lol.....I generally look down on taunting and particularly hate the two handed weapon "seizure" taunt that the especially annoying campers use. I thought about doing it back but it looks silly and stoops down to levels I don't often go to. Instead, if I beat campers I use the point forward gesture to kinda say "Get outta my forest."
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri May 11, 2012 1:04 pm

I just use my worm for everything, screw it. gestures take to much effort silly
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 11, 2012 1:08 pm

Just hold "x" and shake your controller. You might not get the gesture you want but you'll get something. So.....I can see why the worm is your default.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri May 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Ya, it is!

Want to make a rude gesture, Worm it

if you want to bow, Worm it

if you want to point somewhere, Worm it

if you want to Mock something that died, Worm it

if you jsut want to do something random, Worm it

best form of anything. gets it done nice and easy. lol

Good for staggering enemies, and better kick. Although slow, it is indeed humiliating. Like he got molested of sorts twisted
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Lol.....How do you explain that even?

Person A: Wait, what? How did he greet you?

Person A: He waved his worm at me

Person A: How did he kill you?

Person B: He smacked me with his worm.

Person A: Then what happened?

Person B: He wormed all over my corpse.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri May 11, 2012 1:15 pm

lol + 1

The great part, is the gunk that comes out when it opens. When I greet whiskey, she always goes 'Ew'. lol . Boy, this has been a fun day today.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks Acidic!

Where does this fall ethics wise? I think you're pretty unique in the "everybody's worming for the weekend" philosophy. I guess you'd write your own code of ethics.

Are you the Hammurabi of Dark Souls Acidic?
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri May 11, 2012 1:21 pm

It seems like it. It would not seem too **** to say that it is, eh? twisted

Imagine, when you go to firelink, the wooden small tree that is near falling off from its soil, towards the Firekeeper Prison, you see small scabs and scratches of all the laws. The first one will be:

'Worm This'
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri May 11, 2012 1:27 pm

Then:
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....worm it."
    "Worm unto others as you'd have them worm unto you."
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri May 11, 2012 1:29 pm

"If one worm goes towards another, Worm both"

"If seen exposed, Worm with no Shame"

"When one gives acorn, Worm with Glee... then drop it"
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri May 11, 2012 1:31 pm

My ethics are simple.

When invaded, or invading, I switch to an empty slot, and "wave" from a good distance. It's faster then bowing, and has a mutually respectful and rude atmosphere to it.
    If my opponent stops moving and bows themself, I switch to my weapon, and from a distance I can't hit them, I push R1 to tell them I don't give a **** about their bow.
    If they backstab me, before I get back up, my wolf ring swaps for a Hornet ring, and I backstab them back. Otherwise no backstabbing.
    If they heal, I swap my Wolf Ring for a Hornet Ring, and possibly heal myself.
    If they summon a phantom, I swap my Wolf Ring for a Hornet Ring...
    If they are displaying signs of an attempted backstab, I backstab them. (After a long enough time, you'll know what to look for.)

Essentially unless they are trying to backstab me, or they heal, we have a good clean fight. There is no other rules of engagement, use TWoP if you feel like it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:07 am