Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Forum Pirate
Buggy Virus
JoeBroski09
FinPeku
mugenis4real
Delvanoc
RANT
jjshowal
12 posters

Should armors have stat requirements like weapons?

jjshowal
    jjshowal
    Addicted
    Addicted

Should armors have stat requirements like weapons? Empty Should armors have stat requirements like weapons?

Post by jjshowal Thu May 24, 2012 1:33 pm

I've been thinking about this for a while, and there have probably been a thousand threads on this topic. I will preface by saying this is NOT A RANT thread. I'm just curious if you guys think for the next souls game if they should have stat requirements for armor.

For instance, I have a ninja dex/faith build right now. I don't have enough strength to yield a tower knight shield even with two hands, but I can slap on some havel's or giant's armor and roll around no problem. My question is, since stats are required to reap the benefits a lot of weapons offer, shouldn't the same principle be applied to armor?

If someone has worked really hard on a str build, they should get exclusive privileges to adorn themselves in high poise/high phys. defensive armor not allowing someone like me who is a dex build with only 16 str to do the same. Same goes for int./faiith builds and robes. I guess I'm saying that I wish more emphasis was placed on crafting your builds for defense and offense, not just offense.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts!

Last edited by jjshowal on Thu May 24, 2012 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Should armors have stat requirements like weapons? Empty Re: Should armors have stat requirements like weapons?

Post by RANT Thu May 24, 2012 1:36 pm

i think it's an awesome idea and with this there would actually be a light medium and heavy class, not just everyone wearing havel's gloves and leggings.
    Delvanoc
    Delvanoc
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Should armors have stat requirements like weapons? Empty Re: Should armors have stat requirements like weapons?

Post by Delvanoc Thu May 24, 2012 2:34 pm

I completely agree and was actually surprised that From did not do this when I first started playing DkS. It would incorporate more strategy into builds and create that "sacrifice" that I love so much in rpg like games.

Or even better, give armor actual upgrade paths. I.E. so, as a dex based toon, you want to wear havels for the looks, no problem! Just upgrade it down "this" path, it will lower the defensive properties, but lower the weight and str properties. The theory behind that would be you were stripping off some of the heavier under protection or something. That way people have the ability to still look cool in the armor of their choosing.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Thu May 24, 2012 3:33 pm

No. Weight is already in it's own way a stat requirement. It is only through the power of the DWGR that heavy armor rolling can even be accomplished.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu May 24, 2012 3:36 pm

mugenis4real wrote:No. Weight is already in it's own way a stat requirement. It is only through the power of the DWGR that heavy armor rolling can even be accomplished.

you can make a pure build and put your stats in dex or str and end and yo can light roll with heavy armor.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Thu May 24, 2012 3:41 pm

So you see the problem don't you? The DWGR is the most powerful piece of gear in the game. So powerful that I often question the decision From made to put it into the game. It is not the armor that needs fixing, it is The One Ring. We cannot allow it fall into Sauron's hands, you must take it to Mount Doom this very day. Come so we may begin our trek into the long dark Beckon
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu May 24, 2012 3:43 pm

mugenis4real wrote:So you see the problem don't you? The DWGR is the most powerful piece of gear in the game. So powerful that I often question the decision From made to put it into the game. It is not the armor that needs fixing, it is The One Ring. We cannot allow it fall into Sauron's hands, you must take it to Mount Doom this very day. Come so we may begin our trek into the long dark Should armors have stat requirements like weapons? 3477152822

but you know eventually, no matter how strong you are, youre gonna give in to the power of the dwgr, it is known.
    jjshowal
    jjshowal
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jjshowal Thu May 24, 2012 3:59 pm

What's tatersss?
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Thu May 24, 2012 4:16 pm

I think that's the best improvement suggestions I've heard in a while. IMO, it would remove many problems and balance things in PVP. It could make str builds more viable. Currently, it's too easy to have big amount of poise without sacrificing your speed.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu May 24, 2012 4:27 pm

I agree. Dwgr needs to go AND high level armor should require stats. Or something something something
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Thu May 24, 2012 4:46 pm

I think instead of armor requirements there should be specific scaling for individual armors, so your movement will have different scaling depending on your str dex and end, allowing for a more complex use of the stat system.
    jjshowal
    jjshowal
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jjshowal Thu May 24, 2012 4:54 pm

i don't think the weight burden really counts, as weapons and shields have burdens themselves. i'm talking about the fact that i really love the demon great machete, but if i want to use it effectively, i would have to sacrifice a ton of stat points and put it toward my strength category. i think that same principle should be applied to armor. if you want to use high poise armor, improve your strength. if you want to use armor that enhances your intelligence or faith, you have to put stats toward that specific set.

i still want there to be hybrid and versatile builds, i just think putting these restrictions into place would make people be more strategic in their builds.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Thu May 24, 2012 5:21 pm

I agree, this way you would really see tank and light builds, versus everyone making sure they have 52 poise and deciding whether to use a random STR weapon or DEX weapon.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu May 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Brilliant! Its so obvious, how did we not see this? Email From the idea. Several times. Everyone. I really want to see that implimented.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu May 24, 2012 5:29 pm

DWGR is the problem not the different weights of the armors.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Thu May 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Brilliant! Its so obvious, how did we not see this? Email From the idea. Several times. Everyone. I really want to see that implimented.

Scaling or prerequisites?
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Thu May 24, 2012 8:37 pm

You're right. Black Cleric Robe should require 586 coolness stat to wear.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Thu May 24, 2012 9:08 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:DWGR is the problem not the different weights of the armors.
    I dont know why no one else can see that.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu May 24, 2012 9:16 pm

I can. I still think its a good idea. If you want to tank, you need the strength to wear 11 lb gauntlets and still sing your weapon. If you cant properly use a 3lb shield because its to heavy, how exactly do you even lift your arm in 11lb gloves?
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu May 24, 2012 9:19 pm

(Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread...)

I'm gonna say no, I don't think there should be stat requirements, but I do think something needs to be balanced better.

I say no because stat requirements just turn into artificial barriers standing between you and the awesome gear you've got. There's nothing more annoying than achieving a skillful underdog victory to get some loot, and then not being able to equip it just because of some stat requirements. Completely defeats the purpose of pulling off the skilled low-level victory if you need to be high level to equip the damn loot anyway... For me, that takes a lot of the fun out of the game. It's restrictive, it's artificial, and it goes against rewarding skilled play, practically going as far as discouraging it. It says "stand in line and play the game like everyone else, go where you're supposed to be for your level, and don't go exploring, because you won't be able to equip the loot anyways."

That being said, being at starting level and being able to equip full Giants set +5 is definitely broken. But the problem here lies more in overpowered rings, overly accessible upgrades, and too easily obtainable powerful armor. That's what I think needs to be balanced. But if I pull an amazing victory against all odds, let me wear my prize loot!

(I'll go read the whole thread now...)

Edit: well, I read the whole thread... And am a bit disappointed it just turned into another DWGR discussion, for the most part. Buggy made great suggestions with armor scaling, I like that.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu May 24, 2012 9:39 pm

My last post clearl illustrates why its not artificial. For int or faith, even (though arguably) dex requirements would be artificial, but strength requirements for medium and heavy armors is perfectly reasonable
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu May 24, 2012 9:52 pm

I think yes, for example wearing Paladin set would require a minimum faith. Wearing Giant's would require a minimum str, Havel's minimum End, wearing Witch/Sage's minimum Int. That way we wouldnt see a Giant using a katana, which in my opinion looks ridiculous. Also I agree DWGR is the One Ring to rule them all.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Thu May 24, 2012 9:53 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:My last post clearl illustrates why its not artificial. For int or faith, even (though arguably) dex requirements would be artificial, but strength requirements for medium and heavy armors is perfectly reasonable

Heavy str scaling on heavier armors would have the same effect while not completely cutting them off from anyone who picks them up. It would be much more like the current END system except make much more sense and require specialization from players within not allowing them to mix gear.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:46 am