Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
billy_bayonet
JoeBroski09
Buggy Virus
lextune
swordiris
User
RANT
Noob-of-Artorias
reim0027
cloudyeki
Carphil
Judgedeath
sean1230
17 posters

Greatsword of artorias overrated?

cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Greatsword of artorias overrated?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatsword of artorias overrated?

Post by cloudyeki Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Don't look at me buggy. I dislike most of the club weapons (so uncivilized). I prefer my pole weapons.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Greatsword of artorias overrated?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatsword of artorias overrated?

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Carphil wrote:A bit off-topic

Someone help me improve my english!

When no one uses certain Weapon, is Underrated or Overrated?

I.e the Moonlight greatsword is overrated because every INT build uses it.

The Pickaxe is Underrated because no one even consider to buy it.

Is that correct?
    Something is underrated when someone rates it's usefulness, and they end up predicting it to be not very good at all, when, in reality, it actually is.

Something is overrated when someone rates it's usefulness, and they end up predicting that it's extremely useful, when, in reality, it actually isn't very useful at all.

Things can be used a lot and still be normally rated. For example, a lot of people use the masks, because they are the simply better than any other helmet if you don't need the poise. In that sense, the masks aren't over or underrated. How much something is used doesn't determine how over or under rated they are. It depends on how much others rate them and their usefulness in reality.

Though, it's all about perspective. People that overrate something don't know that they're doing so. And some may see things as over or underrated, when, in reality, it is they themselves that are over or underrating something.

Hope this helped.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:27 pm

JOE! DUEL ME NOW!

Off topic now!
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Blarg. I just got back on the forums and I saw that email and I was like "BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH"
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Right. Email..... what did I send?
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Topic Reply Notification - Joebroski, I challenge you to a proper duel

Souls Series Wiki Forums board@forumotion.com
    Jul 13 (2 days ago)

to me
    Hello ,

You receive this e-mail because you are watching the topic, "Joebroski, I challenge you to a proper duel" at "Souls Series Wiki Forums". This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the newly posted replies, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t7495p75-joebroski-i-challenge-you-to-a-proper-duel#170992

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the "Stop watching this topic link" located at the bottom of the topic above, or by clicking the following link:

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t7495-joebroski-i-challenge-you-to-a-proper-duel?unwatch=topic
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:26 pm

my 485 FH uses the GSoA, it has 80 STR 80 DEX 70 INT and 50FTH, and i gta say at those stats its good, for the standard 120 build it just hasnt got the AR to be viable
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:58 pm

billy - can you compare actual AR between the GSoA and, say the Zwei or DGM?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:28 am

Acidic_Cook wrote:No.

Scaling stops being very... scaling after 50. 40 it slows down its increase in damage... 50 makes it almost a halt in progression.

So if 50 in every stat can not make this sword the best, than the likelihood of it being the best with 99 everything is... close to 0.
    Actually, the greatsword of Artorias does the most damage per hit of any weapon in the game at 99/99/99/99...
    But you can buff other weapons, instantly making them better.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 am

Range. GSoA has it.

I'd say there are more or less 4 factors to look at when judging a weapon: moveset, attack rating, range, and speed. In the GSoA's case:

Moveset: it has most of the greatswords' moveset (although, admittedly, its R2s are terrible, it still has the great R1 moves), which right off the bat makes it a good weapon. Greatswords have the most versatile moveset in the game, and are very beginner-friendly weapons.

Attack Rating: it's true this sword has very high potential AR, but it does take a lot of stats investment to reach it. Buffed weapons can still outdamage it, but as far as unbuffed weapons go, this can be one of the strongest weapons in the game. Even when your stats don't allow you to attain its optimal AR, though, the GSoA still has other advantages at its disposal--especially:

Range: a very important aspect to consider when judging a weapon (even though my favorite weapon in Dark Souls is the Painting Guardian Sword silly). The GSoA has the longest range of all greatswords, which is a big advantage over the other swords of its class.

Speed: same as other greatswords, which is a good speed--not the fastest weapon class in the game, but a good balance between power and speed.

So GSoA has a good moveset, if a little less good than some other greatswords because of its bad R2s; good/ potentially great AR; great range; good speed. I don't think it's overrated; I do think its AR is overrated. People shouldn't focus on the GSoA's AR so much, and more on its balance of range, moveset, and speed, which I believe is its true strength.
    Raikan007
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Raikan007 Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:18 am

Really pissed off about this weapon, New Game + and ascended to the GSoA as I made the Shield on the first playthrough!

I dont have the Faith/Intellegence stats but I was planning on upgrading it after a while but the damage is so bad.... I am nowhere near on the required stats to get it going and do not intend to play to about NG+++ to get there.. have like 48 str/23 dex/11 int/8 faith/38 vit

So this sword is not a good idea if you intend to play through at most twice.. but if you are a faith/intelligence build from the start and have the required STR/Dex to wield it then it may be a good weapon to use but mostly in NG+ or NG++ while upgrading your F/I stats!

Also, the GreatLoard Greatsword is very disappointing.. updgraded it to +5 and does 440 damage for me at the moment with 48 STR! I have +10 Fire Zweihander 728 damage, +4 Lightning Greatsword 618 damage, my Black Knight Sword +5 does 460 damage and my Black Knight Axe does like 520 or something...

Not happy with these swords, was really looking forward to ascending them.. now that I have and seen them I am not that keen on playing on.. The developers should have made them a lot more powerful standard, especially the GreatLord Greatsword for NG+, not so much the Artorias sword..
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:19 am

reim0027 wrote:billy - can you compare actual AR between the GSoA and, say the Zwei or DGM?

I shall compare them today for you reim, pure phyiscal damage though, no buffs
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Raikan007 wrote:but I was planning on upgrading it after a while
    Whoah whoah whoah. Upgrade it. It's the best boss weapon, so might as well. The greatshield's stability doesn't upgrade. So use your demon titanite on the sword.

Furthermore, elemental weapons will usually out-damage a little bit on PvE. I've just recently learned this.

I think I saw that you have a lot of dex and str? Grab a claymore, and regular upgrade that if you want mega damage. But when it comes to PvE, the defense factor works differently, so the split damage of an elemental might work better, but I know a regular maxed claymore will do good to you. Just don't compare greatswords to ultra greatsword damage. The Zwei is way slower than the claymore. I madet his mistake by comparing the damage of my claymore to my Server. My fire server does about 200-300 more damage than my claymore atm with my stats (I dont have 40str and 40dex yet) but it's slower. So it's better to use my claymore.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:19 pm

I'll keep it short a sweet.

The weapon is meant to be misleading on all accounts, it seems to be a trap that FROM put in for both new players and players of demon's souls who remember the blueblood sword.

I think for sure it is underpowered, it's R2 moveset though amusing is near useless.. It's only redeeming factor is that it looks good, but you might as well get the cursed one and be able to kill ghosts.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Cool, billy. Very interested to know how it actually compares.
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Serious_Much wrote: It's only redeeming factor is that it looks good, but you might as well get the cursed one and be able to kill ghosts.

And the Holy one kills the skellies at least happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:59 am