Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
TehInfamousAmos
fearandwhiskey
Baal-Avatar
billy_bayonet
WyrmHero
Azran
Tolvo
11 posters

Boy I'm Late to This Party, and I'm Drunk

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Boy I'm Late to This Party, and I'm Drunk Empty Boy I'm Late to This Party, and I'm Drunk

Post by Tolvo Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 am

So, I'm planning to get this game very soon. I've been told I should try to get an EU copy, which I don't know how I will be sure of. But in either case, I just cannot stop myself from playing this at one point.

Now then, I had sort of an important question, without planning for PvP should starting class matter that much? I've looked over the options and I'm leaning towards one of the armor wearers, because of course I think it just looks nicer and the weapon options interest me more. What would you guys recommend to me though based off my play style.

I tend to like to play very aggressively, even in Dark when starting out I never shied from a fight, because how else am I going to learn the fight am I right? Would it be more beneficial do you think to go for mobility, or defense in this game?

How absorbed will I be by the story? Unlike many who play Dark, I was so engrossed by the story and kept playing mainly in part to finding out just where everything was going, as well as beating the game and finishing the challenge to myself of beating it. Now, Demon's from what I've seen doesn't have as hidden of a story, but I do see elements in it that remind me of the mystery in Dark. Will I be drinking water bottles at 5AM looking at a small symbol on a wall trying to figure out its relation to some random NPC, or will I just be told the story by said NPC?
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Boy I'm Late to This Party, and I'm Drunk Empty Re: Boy I'm Late to This Party, and I'm Drunk

Post by Azran Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:26 am

I'm glad you are planning to get this gem of a game.

In my humble opinion, From actually made a great work in creating the ambientation of this game, but did a better one with Dark Souls in regards to minimalist storytelling devices. So I don't think you are going to find THAT much in terms of lore. There are some small interesting tidbits nonetheless, for those who actually pay attention.

Armour is kinda underpowered in this game due to the lack of poise, but going sword and board on good ol' fluted armour makes you feel epic.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Boy I'm Late to This Party, and I'm Drunk Empty Re: Boy I'm Late to This Party, and I'm Drunk

Post by Tolvo Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:31 am

Yeah, I've heard it uses more of a push system as opposed to poise, I guess I'll have to get a feel for it to really get an idea. The weapons such as Longsword, and Halberd probably interest me the most. Though of course magic is another possibility, but I more so hope it doesn't make the game too easy for me. I also sort of enjoy going melee, since I don't want to just stand back hitting things from afar. I really want to get elbow deep in. I was also wondering, is any farming required in Demon's, or will I be fine just playing through?
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:14 am

Just imagine everything stun locks you whenever they hit you. That's basically it. silly

Magic is undeniably easy mode in Demon's Souls, but only if you actually take the time to spam it cheaply against enemies. There is nothing bad in adding some magical prowess to your melee build, though.

And yes, Demon's Souls has a lot of farming. In some cases you can actually make do with what its actually in the level (For example, Dragon weapons). And some bosses do have a guaranteed drop of the equivalent of Slabs. But for some stones (mainly Darkmoonstone, Spiderstone and Bladestone), it's going to be a long farming season.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:15 am

Oh god, that's kind of a turn off, I absolutely detest farming.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:37 am

And the changing of world and character tendencies to get some items, which you'll have to do with the game offline. I suggest, pick your favorite class, play PvE at your pace. Then start making an SL 120~130 build to start fighting DeS 4-1 gankers. You'll concentrate in farming and obtaining specific items for that build, because unlike DkS, we don't have the BB glitch here. You'll also be aware of changing world tendecies. Once you get attention to PvP, consider taking a look to the DeS wikidot.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:24 pm

The royalty class is a pretty Decent Starter i always use that, being able to Use soul arrow from the start is pretty usefull
    Baal-Avatar
    Baal-Avatar
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Baal-Avatar Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:44 am

Tolvo wrote:Yeah, I've heard it uses more of a push system as opposed to poise, I guess I'll have to get a feel for it to really get an idea. The weapons such as Longsword, and Halberd probably interest me the most. Though of course magic is another possibility, but I more so hope it doesn't make the game too easy for me. I also sort of enjoy going melee, since I don't want to just stand back hitting things from afar. I really want to get elbow deep in. I was also wondering, is any farming required in Demon's, or will I be fine just playing through?

If I remember correctly I always started with the temple knight. The starting gear is a Halberd and Heater Shield which are both great pieces of equipment. Plus you get the heal miracle which can be helpful. I always took off enough gear to fast roll and 2 handed the halberd. It is great fun.

If you ever want to co-op any evening let me know. I have not played in a while, but I still have my old toons.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:04 am

Yeah the Halberd had me interested in that class a lot, plus the heal is a nice bonus. I actually want to go through the game fat rolling though, as sort of a challenge to myself. Plus I like to get in character, and I enjoy acting like I should in my armor when I can haha.

Sounds fun, but is there still Co-Op? The whole state of online existing or not for DeS has me very confused.
    fearandwhiskey
    fearandwhiskey
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by fearandwhiskey Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:11 am

I just played through for the first time after having the game for ages. There is still activity online. I fought another player as Old Monk last week. I think you'd enjoy it. My obsessive nature now has me trying to farm Pure Bladestone, but otherwise it's pretty fun!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:12 am

Well see like, I've heard certain servers are down, or going down, like North America. And that you can only play with people on the same server as you, and the server is based off which version you have. So it was suggested I get the EU version some how.
    fearandwhiskey
    fearandwhiskey
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by fearandwhiskey Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:21 am

The U.S. servers are still up. I didn't do co-op because I wanted to get through it alone, but there were plenty of phantoms. You've got time. happy
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:23 am

Yeah I plan on waiting on the Co-Op, but if I beat the boss of an area, I wouldn't mind making an alt and doing Co-Op on that.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:25 am

Another thing DeS got over Dark Souls: Shield Ascension is actually useful; the Dark path (anti-magic) is lovely for PvE.

As someone up there said, if you wanna do World Tendency stuff, do it offline. Server Tendency shifts each time you log in from the menu, so you won't ever hit Pure Black online.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:45 am

billy_bayonet wrote:The royalty class is a pretty Decent Starter i always use that, being able to Use soul arrow from the start is pretty usefull
    Eff' that - if you are going spellsword then you may aswell use Magician silly that fire :drunken:
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:46 pm

I get a lot of online action at lower levels. My level 120 hardly gets any action at all. If you ever want to PVP or Co-op, I'd definitely be down. The game is very fun!
    fearandwhiskey
    fearandwhiskey
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by fearandwhiskey Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:29 pm

fearandwhiskey wrote:I just played through for the first time after having the game for ages. There is still activity online. I fought another player as Old Monk last week. I think you'd enjoy it. My obsessive nature now has me trying to farm Pure Bladestone, but otherwise it's pretty fun!
    Boy I'm Late to This Party, and I'm Drunk 20120804_121733

Just when I was staying to think it was a myth. happy
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:11 pm

Now you just have to give it to me. big grin
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:13 pm

I have never made a DS PvP build, should i make one?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:14 pm

We might get to fight, so possibly Helloooooo. Wait a second I just realized I forgot to ask the most important question of all.

Is there facial hair?
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:31 pm

Nope. At least I don't remember any facial hair.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:33 pm

I think this has factually made Demon's the weakest of the Souls series. My only hope is if they make another one, we'll have full on beards. It's the most important part of any game.
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:40 pm

i think the das character creation is better you can make some awesome lookin toons by *** round with the shades and colours like the eye colour is more visable in das...
    we could start doing das fc XD Oh n tolvo we could do a co-op thing from start to finish if you wanna bounce
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:53 pm

fearandwhiskey wrote:
    fearandwhiskey wrote:I just played through for the first time after having the game for ages. There is still activity online. I fought another player as Old Monk last week. I think you'd enjoy it. My obsessive nature now has me trying to farm Pure Bladestone, but otherwise it's pretty fun!
    Boy I'm Late to This Party, and I'm Drunk 20120804_121733

Just when I was staying to think it was a myth. happy

I spent about 5 hours farming until I finally got one. Then I started another character and on my FIRST run through in 4-2 against the black skelly, I got one. Really...
    fearandwhiskey
    fearandwhiskey
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by fearandwhiskey Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:01 pm

I leveled up 40 or 50 levels with the souls, got more other stones than I could hold (kept dropping them), same thing with Soul Remains, 10+ war scythes, 4 or 5 uchigatanas. . . When it finally dropped, i was in robot mode and talking on the phone. I had to go back into my inventory to confirm that it had dropped! Then i got killed by the manta ray and had to kill the black skeleton again. He dropped Soul Remains. winking

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 6:42 am