Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
N_Raist
Forum Pirate
Rifter7
billy_bayonet
kazumoshi
bloodpixel
reim0027
RANT
Frosty1heSnowman
RailBladerX
DamageCK
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
FruitPunchNinja
Jansports
embraceofthorns
19 posters

Why do people use the weapons they do?

embraceofthorns

Why do people use the weapons they do? Empty Why do people use the weapons they do?

Post by embraceofthorns Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:42 pm

For example, I consider spears to be cheap, why? Because it's very easy to win a PVP match just by running and lunging toward an opponent, and lag plays a big role in this too Look Skyward (and I know some 'genius' is going to say "well maybe you're terrible at this game or maybe they're too good" please, I've gotten to level ~650 and have lost fewer than ~30 pvp matches because someone is actually better than me). It's a very cheap tactic, and I could go on and on about cheap tactics. Same goes with rapiers, but people use rapiers for back stabs. Does anyone agree with me? I firmly believe that anyone who defends this poor weapon choice uses them as well.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Why do people use the weapons they do? Empty Re: Why do people use the weapons they do?

Post by Jansports Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:48 pm

As much as I don't want to, http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

there ya go.
    embraceofthorns

Why do people use the weapons they do? Empty Re: Why do people use the weapons they do?

Post by embraceofthorns Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:03 pm

LMAO thank you!
    embraceofthorns

Post by embraceofthorns Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:03 pm

Also, are there any tips to avoid getting hit by people that use spears or rapiers?, basically any lunging weapon.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:07 pm

Well you say that you have only lost 30 matches to people who were "better then you"'. I'm going to assume you have lost quite a bit more then that to "cheap" players. This games pvp is all about learning ways to counter anything your opponent can throw at you. My way of dealing with spear users is, a spear. Have an SKS or Demons Spear ready to swap. Demons spear has the longest reach in the game btw.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:09 pm

we've got 3 threads in various places on that if i count correctly, mostly the answer seems to be... use a big shield, and something with more or equal range than the spear (bows and x-bows)
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:09 pm

lol! +1 jansports, that was a funny article.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Bows are great if theres enough room for you to move around, but in areas like the burg they arent going to help much. Having one of the three long reach spears(sks,demons,dss) is almost essential. I still get killed by people who switch to demons spear and poke me to death from the other side of the burg, especially with my 0poise build. I love getting hate mail when i actually get a backstab in on them though xD
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:17 pm

embraceofthorns wrote:For example, I consider spears to be cheap, why? Because it's very easy to win a PVP match just by running and lunging toward an opponent, and lag plays a big role in this too Look Skyward (and I know some 'genius' is going to say "well maybe you're terrible at this game or maybe they're too good" please, I've gotten to level ~650 and have lost fewer than ~30 pvp matches because someone is actually better than me). It's a very cheap tactic, and I could go on and on about cheap tactics. Same goes with rapiers, but people use rapiers for back stabs. Does anyone agree with me? I firmly believe that anyone who defends this poor weapon choice uses them as well.

So... what you're trying to say here is that you're the sh*t? Come to FC with a 120 build. Show us your skillz, holmes.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:23 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:Well you say that you have only lost 30 matches to people who were "better then you"'. I'm going to assume you have lost quite a bit more then that to "cheap" players. This games pvp is all about learning ways to counter anything your opponent can throw at you. My way of dealing with spear users is, a spear. Have an SKS or Demons Spear ready to swap. Demons spear has the longest reach in the game btw.

If the dude can go 650 levels while losing only 30 "legit" PvP fights, I'm wondering how he managed to deal with all those spear users? Teach US sh*t. Haha.
    RailBladerX
    Casual
    Casual

Post by RailBladerX Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:40 pm

Jansports wrote:As much as I don't want to, http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

there ya go.

HAHA i was going to post that!!!

but on another note i don't think spear spamming is all that dangerous BUT this perspective simply comes from someone who builds Berserker/Juggernaught like buids so, spears arent a high threat to me
    (poise > spears)

but no, dont feel bad everyone has a build that they hate to fight. where i hate pokers, i hate BS fishers even more, tho less since ive learned how to BS cancel nicely.

0============={===============================================>
    ALSO! DOWNVOTE ME! I am Darkwraith! must get as many negative points as possible! because I am Darkwraith! good points are bad, bad points are good!... because you now how the Darkwraiths are the good guys? get it? No? well just downvote me anyways you will feel better about your day.
    Frosty1heSnowman
    Frosty1heSnowman

Post by Frosty1heSnowman Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:56 am

I deal with spear users by either tanking hits with a shield and waiting for a backstab opening, or by parrying. Same for rapier users.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:17 am

rapiers are annoying as hell, if lag didnt help them as much theyd be a lot easier to deal with. i use str weapons because i find them fun, theyre the hardest weapons to master and riposting with the DGM(last two weeks the greataxe) looks so awesome.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:20 am

Yeah, that splat sound is great.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:39 am

Rapiers would be useless without lag lol. It would be like playing as Raphael in Soul Calibur V.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:40 am

Nah, spears would be useless without lag. Rapiers can do Parries and BSs just fine without lag.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:42 am

Actually I'm glad there's lag. The game would basically be rolling around slamming the parry button as much as possible.

Last edited by bloodpixel on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:43 am; edited 2 times in total
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:42 am

thrust weapons would be used less without lag.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:43 am

bloodpixel wrote:Actually I'm glad there's lag. The game would basically be rolling around slamming the L2 button as much as possible.

i think it would be the oppposite, no one would ever attack for fear of getting parried so everyone would just do nothing but bs. which come to think about it would change anything since that what most people do.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:45 am

But BSing will be even harder to do without lag. Only way you can get one is to Roll bs, and that's if they attack. But they won't, because everyone will have a a target shield or something.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:46 am

even without lag you can still bs really easy, the npc's can get backstabbed when your not even derictly on their back.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:47 am

But players aren't npcs. They're going to be rolling like circus clowns 95% of the time. They're not going to get BSd very easily.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 am

bloodpixel wrote:But players aren't npcs. They're going to be rolling like circus clowns 95% of the time. They're not going to get BSd very easily.

poise bs, there you go. people will just do this over and over again. roll bs will also not change.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:52 am

Poise BS isn't going to work. Again, no lag makes easy as crap parries. Roll Bs probably won't change, but timing might get stricter (don't count me on this).
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:54 am

also a well timed roll right before you attack will lead to a bs even with no lag. which will lead to the most boring fights ever since noone is gonna attack and just fish for a bs. so yeah, even thoug i hate lag it does have its upsides, very few though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 1:20 am