Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
N_Raist
Forum Pirate
Rifter7
billy_bayonet
kazumoshi
bloodpixel
reim0027
RANT
Frosty1heSnowman
RailBladerX
DamageCK
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
FruitPunchNinja
Jansports
embraceofthorns
19 posters

Why do people use the weapons they do?

RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Why do people use the weapons they do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do people use the weapons they do?

Post by RANT Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:55 am

how is poise bs not gonna work? even if you only attack once youre still gonna get bs'ed most of the time and proobably every time once people get the timing and angle right.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Why do people use the weapons they do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do people use the weapons they do?

Post by Jansports Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:58 am

Everyone's an Unlocked Pyro.

it's odd that people would miss lag were it gone, but I understand the sentiment, with zero lag and a smart opponent there is never a "good" time to choose to attack, it'd be ultra patience fighter 3 hyper waiting edition.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:00 am

crap that got me thinking, since no one is gonna attack every most people will just spam magic, i can see it right now, everyone spamming GC and WOG which most people do anyway but it would be worse.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:02 am

RantFromRant wrote:how is poise bs not gonna work? even if you only attack once youre still gonna get bs'ed most of the time and proobably every time once people get the timing and angle right.
    Poise BS isn't going to work because people will be to afraid to attack. Rather than poise BSing it would just have been better to parry the attack. Now that I think about it, it might just be better taking out critical hits in pvp in general. In a no lag condition, of course.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:04 am

yeah, and since everyone is just gonna o nothing but spam magic or bs its gonna get really boring.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:05 am

bloodpixel wrote:Rapiers would be useless without lag lol. It would be like playing as Raphael in Soul Calibur V.

"Damn it. Play more video games, Damage..."
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08 am

DamageCK wrote:
    bloodpixel wrote:Rapiers would be useless without lag lol. It would be like playing as Raphael in Soul Calibur V.

"Damn it. Play more video games, Damage..."
    Long story short, Raphael can't hit anything to the left of him. And as you probably guessed, he's a fencer.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:10 am

bloodpixel wrote:But BSing will be even harder to do without lag. Only way you can get one is to Roll bs, and that's if they attack. But they won't, because everyone will have a a target shield or something.

KICKS!

Overall strategy adjusted by zero percent. I already spam tons of kicks. Oh, you want to keep doing that sweet running attack with your little rapier...? FACE PUNT! CRITICAL BONUS! WINNING!
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:31 am

Oh yeah, kicks. I forgot about those. I always had that useless rapier move. Now the rapier got even crappier. Basically the game will now be about punting your enemies in the groin.
    kazumoshi
    kazumoshi
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by kazumoshi Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:43 am

I use Raphael all the time. He's got horizontal attacks, but it's easier to strafe and punish with him anyways.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:54 am

Sall bout nightmare!
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:03 am

lol.. a heavy shift towards magic in a game with stacks of spells for mana.

yeah that wouldn't be boring as hell.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:03 pm

You've never played a good raphiel user mate, he's easily the most irritating character for me to fight against (I play kilik and talim.)

Anyways, I either corner the thrust weapon user or die terribly because I couldn't corner them.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:56 pm

to the op, if you haven't an hero'd yourself because of this game:
    usually i try to sit at their spears r1 range without their shield up and roll r1 unlocked thru spear users while they attack.
    deadzoning their shield and pyromancies are usually good too if they don't want to play like that.
    and if its looking a little grim switch out to a bow and try to poison them or deal straight up damage and lead them into a parry or a pyromancy when they try rushing you.
    the bow can outrange them.
    embraceofthorns

Post by embraceofthorns Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:36 am

DamageCK wrote:
    embraceofthorns wrote:For example, I consider spears to be cheap, why? Because it's very easy to win a PVP match just by running and lunging toward an opponent, and lag plays a big role in this too Look Skyward (and I know some 'genius' is going to say "well maybe you're terrible at this game or maybe they're too good" please, I've gotten to level ~650 and have lost fewer than ~30 pvp matches because someone is actually better than me). It's a very cheap tactic, and I could go on and on about cheap tactics. Same goes with rapiers, but people use rapiers for back stabs. Does anyone agree with me? I firmly believe that anyone who defends this poor weapon choice uses them as well.

So... what you're trying to say here is that you're the sh*t? Come to FC with a 120 build. Show us your skillz, holmes.

You're a genius, at least you of everyone here has figured out that I'm terrible at this game, LOL. I left heavy PVP range for a reason. No where did I imply that I was garbage at this game. And if that's how you perceived my question well then that makes you even more of a genius. Look Skyward
    embraceofthorns

Post by embraceofthorns Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:41 am

RailBladerX wrote:
    Jansports wrote:As much as I don't want to, http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

there ya go.

HAHA i was going to post that!!!

but on another note i don't think spear spamming is all that dangerous BUT this perspective simply comes from someone who builds Berserker/Juggernaught like buids so, spears arent a high threat to me
    (poise > spears)

but no, dont feel bad everyone has a build that they hate to fight. where i hate pokers, i hate BS fishers even more, tho less since ive learned how to BS cancel nicely.

0============={===============================================>
    ALSO! DOWNVOTE ME! I am Darkwraith! must get as many negative points as possible! because I am Darkwraith! good points are bad, bad points are good!... because you now how the Darkwraiths are the good guys? get it? No? well just downvote me anyways you will feel better about your day.

Yes actually, you're correct, Thank you. Finally someone with a brain!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:50 am

There's no need to be insulting.

Damage was saying quite the opposite. He was saying "based on your statement, you believe yourself to be highly skilled, far more so than most skilled players. If this is true, I would very much like to see you in action at our fight club."

Though he may have intended some sarcasm to convey scepticism on his part, I have no doubt that he would be all to happy to fight you during a club event.
    N_Raist
    N_Raist
    Casual
    Casual

Post by N_Raist Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:57 am

FruitPunchNinja wrote:Demons spear has the longest reach in the game btw.

Is not the pike the spear with longest range?
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:21 am

Lay off the insults, embrace.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:23 am

N_Raist wrote:
    FruitPunchNinja wrote:Demons spear has the longest reach in the game btw.

Is not the pike the spear with longest range?
    Nope, its demon spear, DSS and then pike.

@OP well they would be pretty ineffective if they were using their fists now wouldnt they?
    embraceofthorns

Post by embraceofthorns Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:36 am

I'm not insulting anyone. He confronted me as sarcastic. I'm doing the same. Anyways, on a more serious note, thank all of you that have posted in this thread and has contributed to answering my question.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:44 am

Calling someone a genius+being sarcastic= insult.

Tone is difficult to convey in writing, but I seriously doubt damage was saying anything about your skill except that he wants to see it.

The statement "finally someone with a brain" is an insult to everyone except the specified person. You were indeed insulting people.

On your original question, I don't believe in cheap, only in effective. Irritating thrust weapons are, but I wouldn't say cheap.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:47 am

The way to counter a spear or a rapier is a good shield. If you have not notice, they easily bounce off shields with good poise. A heater shield might even suffice if fully upgraded or upgraded enough. Rapiers are more so to reflect off shields than spears however, although both don't take much stability to make them stagger to open a gap and kill em. Just get a good shield with a high enough stability.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Forum pretty much summed it up. With a W/L ratio like that, I want to see how you play.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:27 pm

I fought someone like that before, his motto was Dark Souls PvP 342-16, and I sent him a message, "342-17?" People like the OP probably discount any losses that weren't done naked and with no armor, since everything is unfair.

I wasn't even using the great stuff, I mean I was wearing Havel's chest and arms, but it was just my level 80 egg head character with no DWGR and medium roll. How could someone claim that wasn't fair?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 4:22 pm