Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

looking for advice

demonwolf14

looking for advice Empty looking for advice

Post by demonwolf14 Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:15 pm

I know this has probably been covered..But i would like just a bit of advice with character development and gear if someone would be able to help me..

currently CL 33
    vit 10
    att 12
    end 11
    str 16
    dex 15
    res 12
    int 26
    fth 14

wielding drake sword/sorcerer's catalyst
    grass crest shield
    elite knight helm/armor/gaunt/leg
    rings - ring of favor and wolf

I am going down more of a int build but am looking for a spell sword type character.. currently have soul lance as my spell

what is the best direction to take my character.. I currently just beat the moon butterfly and entered the basin.

trying to see what i should do for weapons/gear and point allocation if anyone can help me.. I currently have not upgraded any equipment yet.

any help would be great .. thank you.
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

looking for advice Empty Re: looking for advice

Post by RNsunbro Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:56 pm

Toss the Drake sword and get yourself a buffable weapon that you can upgrade. Try the uchi which you can obtain by killing the undead merchant in undead burg. If you're going for an intelligence build, try the moonlight sword, but you won't be able to get that until later in the game. Increase your vitality and endurance to about 50/40. Don't increase resistance. Don't spread your stats out. Increase your attunement so you can have more spell slots. If you've freed Logan and Griggs, buy some of their spells.
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:08 pm

If you're going strictly spell sword then just take your intelligence to 25 and like sunbro said, do with a buffable weapon this way you can end up with crystal magic weapon! big grin
    demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:15 pm

as of right now I have not released anyone yet.. as i said currently in Basin but i think i have to go level up some... i get one shotted by the hydra. i will make my way back to undead burg and get the uchi and try it.. i currently have 5 titanite shard, 2 titanite chunk, 1 blue chunk 2 twinkling, 1 demon, i divine ember, and the moonlight butterfly soul. what is the best upgrade path? should i go grab greater soul lance? right now I tend to use more sword than magic.. but still not sure.. should i change the build to faith or something.. lol just want something a little easier to kill with haha.. dying sucks.. but as the tagline says.. "prepare to die"

in addition i think i need lighter eq.. i am SLOW

correction: soul arrow

Last edited by demonwolf14 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : another thought)
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Stick with intelligence and yeah heavy soul arrow and family will help you with your dying. big grin I would suggest going the standard upgrade path because if you take your weapon into an elemental path you won't be able to buff ot later on. Try the magic weapon spell so that you can get a feel for how the magic weapon spells work, especially since you're leaning towards melee with intelligence. big grin
    demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:32 pm

looks like i go back and play with the dragon for free souls again.. kinda cheap but i need to upgrade stuff.. where should i upgrade equipment? is it the smith in parish or can i do it at the one near firelink where i get heavy soul arrow?

ps what about other equipment? should i go back to leather for now?

Last edited by demonwolf14 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : gear)
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Upgrade with the blacksmith, Andre, in the parish. You can also buy titanite shards from him. Have you been to the depths yet? If you level anymore, definitely hold off on leveling intelligence until later and focus on increasing your vitality and endurance.
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:35 pm

Andre in the parish will help you with upgrading. Keep in mind you'll need to acquire two other ember to get him to upgrade to max on you're weapon. Also, in the lower undead burg you can free Griggs, he'll provide you with better spells! big grin
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:36 pm

The elite knight set isn't bad at all. You can upgrade the armor to +5 until you get the large ember in the depths.
    demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Nope as of yet have not been to the depths at all.. just got the uchi, gonna get some souls from the dragon killing the undead ;-) and need to try to find griggs.. not sure where he is.. i will start putting p;oints into att, vit, end. should i give the moonlight to andre? and the divine?
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Yeah, go ahead, you can't give it to anyone else so...silly
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:52 pm

So your attunement is at 12 which gives you two slots. Once it gets to 14, you'll have three, at 16-4, etc etc. You vitality and endurance is pretty low right now so I would wait to increase your attunement as of now and focus on those two. Yes, give the divine ember to Andre. You can't give him the moonlight butterfly soul. Once you upgrade certain weapons, if you give it to another blacksmith you meet later on in the game, he'll use that soul to upgrade it to a boss weapon.
    demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:56 pm

yeah i was going to ask what your thoughts were on the butterfly horn or crystal shield made from the butterfly soul..do I need to have the souls to make the moonlight greatsword i have read about?
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:59 pm

No, moonlight greatsword comes from another source. big grin
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:00 pm

The crystal shield looks cool and used to have a pretty good L2 but it got nerfed in the latest patch I believe. I don't have much experience with the butterfly horn so I can't say if it's good or not. A lot of people seem to like it though. No, you don't need any of the boss souls to get the moonlight greatsword. You get it by cutting off the tail on Seath.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:11 pm

Let me give you a nibble of advice. I will start with equipment and spells, and the stats should come out of it. I will also assume you have a maximum SL, somewhere around level 120, otherwise you can take my advice and continue going in a similar direction. One last thing, I prefer my builds to be optimized, and you probably already cannot do that, I will attempt to make it as best as possible, but if you want 100% optimization, you'll probably want to start over and cut the fat.

If you want to be a spellsword, you'll probably want to use Crystal Magic Weapon, which requires 25 INT, that is a key spell for characters that want to maximize damage with a buff to a sword. 25 INT is nice, but any extra will add damage to your weapon, plus if you can get to 31, that increases your Crystal Soul Mass from 4 masses to 5, which is a nice spell for spellswords to protect themselves as they go in for the kill.

You'll need to choose a weapon that is enchantable, I'm not going to give you a list, or a heavy suggestion on which one to choose, but I can give you the advice on what I think on for weapons.

I feel that, when you choose a weapon, you must like the weapon you use, there are good weapons, and there are fine weapons (and some terrible, your Drake Sword may look good now, but it is really a terrible weapon). As long as you like your weapon, and you are willing to adjust your character to make it work, most weapons are able to work. Most of the time, if a weapon has high requirements (and/or for this entire list), low (especially no) scaling, low base damage, lack of something special, bad moveset, or terrible range, that can be a limiting factor to if you like a weapon, and if the weapon is good. I would suggest you spend some time, looking at weapons, experimenting with what you can, summoning phantoms and asking them what they are using, so you can get some experience without spending too much points into stats that could be wasted. I will give you an example.

My favorite weapon is a Gargoyle's Halberd, if you are unaware what it looks like, please take a moment to look it up. What I really like in it, is the moveset and range (I feel these are sometimes hand and hand). I say that if you dislike its moveset/range, the weapon won't preform as well as if you did like it. Weapons that you like will be better for you, because you will develop an attachment to them, and will naturally learn how they move and become comfortable with them. Look for a weapon you enjoy using. My weapon has a slow-medium swing speed, but I don't usually feel overextended because I'm very comfortable with it.

Another thing I like, it has high base damage, and not poor scaling. You see, no weapon that deals non-physical damage types (if it does lightning/magic/fire damage) is a buffable weapons. These weapons are pretty effective through NG+++, and against other players perhaps into level 120 (depending on weapon), but after that, you should have enough points to use a buffable weapons. Let me tell you a bit on how damage is done.

The Gargoyle's Halberd has high D scaling in STR, and low D scaling in DEX. A weapon has different levels of scaling, the higher the better, and less common. As you upgrade a weapon, usually the weapon increases this letter. The letters have different levels within them (as in, high D and low D), I don't know of anything that indicates the exact details on it. The letters are E (terrible, usually ignore this), D (poor to ok, depending on weapon power), C (very average and solid, weapons with C scaling in DEX and STR are usually considered good weapons), B (usually on more specialized weapons, designed to be used by stronger players or more dexterous players), A (very rare, usually on upgraded weapons only, very good too), and S (very very rare, only a few weapons have S scaling. I would say its the best, but usually these weapons happen to need the S scaling to do any damage, usually S scaling weapons aren't too good purely because the weapon that has it isn't good, don't be deterred if there is an S, but usually S weapons just happen to be not be too good, here is the reason why).

Now the Gargoyle's Halberd has high D and low D scaling, which isn't good, but what that means is that a part of the weapons base damage is added to the final damage. Here is a good example, At around 50 STR and 50 DEX, my Gargoyle's Halberd has around 530 or so Attack Rating (this is the number you compare weapons with, from now on, I will call it AR), but the base damage is only 287. Even though the scaling is bad, the weapon base damage is so high, that the final damage is good, think of it this way (I must stress, these numbers about to come up aren't real, they are just examples), it has 287 starting AR, and a high D in STR scaling with says, "because your STR is 50, give an extra 1/2 AR to the final AR", that adds another 143 (half of 287, rounded down) to it, increases it's AR to to a total of 430. Now if you compare it to another weapon, which say, has S scaling, if the weapon has 287 AR, the S scaling says, "because your STR is 50, give an extra AR to the AR", you get 574. Now in this (once again, artificial) example, you can see how strong S is to D, but usually weapons that have S scaling have lower base damage, heck the two weapons with the highest scaling in DEX have such low base AR's that you only get 300 and 400 AR at 99 DEX. As your stats increase, the letters do more work for you. An S scaling at 30 DEX will have less effect than 50 DEX. I wish I could give you a better and more precise example, I hope you understand.

So I like my damage and love my moveset. You need to find a weapon that you love, and is a fine weapons to use for your character. Most good weapons have C/C (as in C scaling in STR and C in DEX, from now on, this will be the format, STR/DEX), you'll want to have your STR and DEX at 40 to get the most out of your weapon damage, depending on your level and how much you can give to them. Weapons with D/B, E/B, I think its more appropriate to have something more like 30/50, but it depends on the weapon, check before you put your points away. I wouldn't pass 50 for most weapons, 60 is a little too high, but I feel acceptable for some weapons. Any higher is just too wasteful. Things like B/D or B/E I would suggest more like 50/30, once again, check first.

Ok, so now we have your weapon covered, sort of. Now we can talk shields and Equip Load. You'll want to have your END at 40 for almost every character. That is when your Stamina stops increasing, I'm sure you understand how Stamina works, I will just say that its very very important that you have maximum. With the Ring of Favor and Protection on, you will have the max of 192 Stamina, which is good. It also gives you enough bleed resistance that if you are wearing armor, you shouldn't worry too much about bleeding out all the time, and some more Equip Load (EL), so you can wear heavier armor. First you'll need to think about your shield and if what you would like from it. The Grass Crest Shield is usually an on back shield. Its ability to block isn't very impressive. Any shield that have 100 Physical block is usually a possible shield. If you feel you are going to dodge more, I suggest you choice a shield with higher Stability. Stability is how much impact your shield takes for you, a higher Stability the better, so if you are rolling and dodging more, the hits you block, you'll be less likely to be staggered. If you intend to take more hits and retaliate, I usually suggest you use a shield with higher resistances, higher resistances the less damage you'll receive from fire/magic/lightning attacks, so you can save your Stamina (instead of rolling) and simply attack back when you are done blocking, protecting you from too much damage. Most of the time, however, shield that are great or good have both qualities, at 16 STR, you can use a lot of the great shields, so you shouldn't be limited on that, you will mostly limited on your EL. One more thing though, you need to think about before that. Greatshields, which very good at blocking, cannot parry, and while in PvE that works just fine, in PvP, the ability to parry, even if you can't do will well enough to actually do it, will adjust how someone fights you, and in a way, protect you also. Usually Greatshields are too heavy to be used effectively, but sometimes builds can make use of them.

Your EL is a very important number, while there are variances to rolling, you need to choose if your character needs to roll fast, roll medium, or if you don't intend to roll unless needed. Just a quick exert here.

There is a ring called the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR), I'm not going to hate on it, but really, it is the best ring overall, what it does is increase your EL for fast rolling by 2, and makes your rolls into an overall better handspring, just to keep in mind. At 40 END, you'll have 40 EL tohandspring with this ring, and 40 END and Ring of Favor and Protection,you'll have 48. These are better than fast rolling, but takes up a ring slot, and I personally believe the ring is very stupid and it makes you a better player if you avoid it, but it is the best ring and it will make the game much easier.

At 40 END, you will have a total of 80EL, and with the Ring of Favor andProtection on, its 96, I suggest you keep these numbers in mind, they will adjust what armor you use.

If you are at 100% EL to 50.01% EL, your character will fat roll (as its often called), and run slowly. This is considered laughably bad in most PvP, but its not too bad in PvE, just remember, rolling will still protect you, but when you fat roll, you need to expect to take hits, andavoid rolling unless needed. You also cannot punish players who try to run away or heal because you can't move fast enough to do so.

At 50-25.01% EL, you will medium roll, because of the DWGR, most players also scoff at medium rolling in favor of handsprings, while in actuality, its actually solid. Medium rolling is just fine, and you will run enough to punish people usually, but you will have trouble catching people who run.

At 25-0% EL, you will fast roll. While the medium roll is good, fast rolling is like amazing something good compared to medium rolling. You will always be able to run away (or keep pace with them), catch someone and punish people who don't think out their actions carefully.

At 50-0% EL, with the DWGR, you'll do a handspring. The handspring is slightly slower, but covers more distance and makes you invincible a much longer time. Your character otherwise can run just as fast as fast roll too.

OK. Jeeze I'm getting carried away here huh? Anyway, with armor, you need to consider the EL before other things. After that, you need to decide if you want more Poise (which is very important, it prevents you from staggering when something hits you, it allows players to hit without being interrupted by quick attacks) or if defense is good enough. Poise isn't everything, but it is only done in amounts that matter on heavier armor, if you want a good amount of Poise, you will probably medium roll or handspring.

Sorry if I repeated anything that you already knew. Lets talk about stats now.

We've already discussed STR, DEX, END, and INT.

With Vitality, a solid build will need at least 30, and its better to be more around 50. After 50, your returns per point aren't really worth it, but with the Ring of Favor and Protection on, you can get it up to 60 and it not being too wasteful. I suggest 50 for all builds that can afford it, 30 is really pretty low, especially without the Ring of Favor and Protection.

Attunement needs to be around 12-19, after that, unless you intend to cast a lot of spells, you're getting wasteful, maybe 23, but that is pretty high for spellswords, which gives you 6 slots. I can't give you the exact number, because its related to your desire to cast other spells, but I probably would like 19 or 23, I prefer to cast more spells, and be a little more spammy. Do not have it past 50, because it does nothing, or at a value other than 10, 12, 14, 16, 19, 23, 28, 34, 41, 50, as these give you an extra slot each (1 to 10), anything in the middle is a waste.

Do not increase your Resistance, I only have one time I suggest a slight increase, its just not worth it for most people.

Your Faith is already too high. Usually players will choose either Miracles/Pyros, Sorceries/Pyros, Pyros, Miracles, or Sorceries. All 3, or Miracles/Sorceries are less common because they require more stat investment than solid 120 builds can afford. I usually suggest (other than perhaps restarting) that you make your weapon buffs Sorceries, and make your self buff Miracles. At 16 FAI, you can use Replenishment, a not too good, not too bad heal yourself over time spell. At your current 14, you can use Magic barrier, which is limited in application, but effective when usable. At 18 is Tranquil Walk of Peace, which used to be damn overpowered, but has been nerfed so much to 10 seconds, making it nearly worthless for most players. At 20 is Karmic Justice, but its not too effective either, since its really hard to activate against anything. At 28 is the overall, best Miracle, Wraith of the Gods, which is a fairly powerful AOE spell that pushes them back and gives you good breathing room. If you want to increase to that, you also may want to increase your ATT another 1-3 slots for your Miracles. You can also use Heal, which isn't very good against players (too slow), but is quite good in PvE, and is helpful to a host if you like to co-op.

I hope this has been helpful, I like helping people. Please ask more questions if you have them!
    demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:39 pm

WOW.. Thank you ICEFANG.. that is alot of writing.. lol but very helpful.. So far weapon wise i just got the uchi (need to try it out), just released griggs contemplating trying to kill the capra demon while i am here but might go get some more vit/end first.. the only reason my faith is that high right now is because the first weapon in the game i used was Astora's straight sword.. I have actually been contemplating the use of sorcories and miracles but thought i would be too spread out.. I do have the winged spear too i need to try, but not sure how good it would be if it is buffed. and yes currently i am over 50% EL ;-( gonna switch to some leather i think and see how it goes.

by the sounds though..
    i need to get vit/end to atleast 40, att to 19ish, and my int to 30-40 and strength/dex high enough to use whatever weapon i like?? I did switch to a balder shield to try that out..

once again thank you so much
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:44 pm

Yes, but remember that you also gain a good amount of power from your STR and DEX adding power to your weapon from its scaling. Odds are you'll have some more levels to put in, and that's a good place to put them.

The Uchi is a great weapon, it has the lowest requirement, but similar damage (at similar DEX/STR) for the other Katanas. Katanas are great because they have great movesets, fair damage, and cause bleeding.
    Pratix
    Pratix
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pratix Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:48 pm

Holy Balls, that was a long post. I couldn't read it all (got summoned in the Depths) but +1 for you my friend. It was very informative. And I am going to try out a magic build, so yeah. Thanks.
    demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:52 pm

So i need to go upgrade my uchi to see how it works out.. and definitely next few levels to end because i dont like fat rolling haha.. do you think it is worth throwing points into faith and having faith/sorceries? i can get my pyros spells since i started as a pyro the only thing i dont like is the length of time it takes to cast.. lol.. impatience i guess haha
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:58 pm

I think Miracles and Sorceries require a different mindset to work, so I never suggest they go together, however, they both can buff you in a positive way that's easy to achieve, so only for spellswords I can say, perhaps, but its really up to you. Using all 3 is a mess though, having enough ATT and switching between them all the time really isn't effective. The buffs that Pyro offer are also kinda janky, only for specialized or weird builds, so they aren't as good as the power just using them is. Plus you only have 4 weapon slots, getting rid of a shield is hard and not really worth it, even the lightest shields that offers 100 physical reduction, the Heater Shield is miles better than no shield, much much better.
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:58 pm

I would stick with intelligence or faith. Don't go with both. Between attunement, vit, endurance, faith, and intelligence...you're very spread out. That doesn't leave much room for strength or dex points which are important if you want to use certain weapons.
    demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:07 am

thank you.. I guess will stick with the int/spell-sword build. and upgrade my uchi as soon as i can, snag greater/heavy soul lance. my originial idea was straight int build but i like to use the sword/spear as well.. right now i am leveling by making the dragon kill undead so that i can try to get fast roll and no more fat roll.. i dont have any equipment in my inventory that compares to the elite right yet esp. where poise is concerned.
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:12 am

What bosses have you beat? I have a level 27 character I can co-op if you need help. There are better areas to get souls.
    demonwolf14

Post by demonwolf14 Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:17 am

hmm.. i havent beaten much.. moonlight, taurus, demon by andre, cannot get by the hydra in the basin, havent done the capra yet either outside of that not sure..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:08 am