Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Ghadis_God
Gaxe
Heroez Blade
Tolvo
Rynn
Pennder
10 posters

Friendly Phantom Etiquette Question

Pennder
    Pennder
    Casual
    Casual

Friendly Phantom Etiquette Question Empty Friendly Phantom Etiquette Question

Post by Pennder Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi! I'm hovering around SL 120, as a Sunbro. My favorite thing to do in this game is put down my sign, and help somebody fight through to the next bonfire, or beat a boss. A question just occurred to me, though.
    If I am summoned to another player's game, and I believe that host is trying to progress through the level to the boss, am I morally correct in fighting off PvP invaders by any means necessary? If I'm summoned and I think the host summoned me just to help him gang up on invaders, I don't help him at all. It just isn't my thing, seems wrong. But if I'm under the impression the host summoned me to help him get through the level, I tend to do everything I can to gang up on the intruder and keep the host alive. Generally an unfair fight most of the time, but I feel like that is part of why I'm there.

Is this the wrong outlook to take, as a Sunbro?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Friendly Phantom Etiquette Question Empty Re: Friendly Phantom Etiquette Question

Post by Rynn Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:56 pm

no, this is the correct outlook to have.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Friendly Phantom Etiquette Question Empty Re: Friendly Phantom Etiquette Question

Post by Tolvo Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:01 pm

As an invader just let me explain to you that...We have no issue with it at all. You're just protecting your host, doing your job. Farming invaders is something frowned upon of course, but if you are going for the boss we are interrupting you guys in what you were doing. Just try not to taunt invaders is all, unless they of course taunted first. But if I invade a world and stumble upon a host and two phantoms, and engage them and lose as they Backstab me to death, eh. Just doing their job.
    Heroez Blade
    Heroez Blade
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Heroez Blade Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 pm

If you are unsure if the host is trying to progress or overpower invaders than try fighting an invader and see what the host does next. If the host moves on to the boss than your are doing your job. If the host stays in one area taunting and messing around then he is most likely ganking so it would be a good idea to leave.
    Gaxe
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Gaxe Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:15 pm

Your doing the right thing, your a sunbro your job is to help the weak and and crush the strong.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:20 pm

I feel like a 2 or 3v1 is enough of an advantage without having to resort to cheap stuff like WoG spam, chainstabs, etc. I've had great fights 3v1 against people protecting their host by ganking me but fighting fair.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:21 pm

Well flat out the best tactic is to have the host run right for the Fog, even if you have two summons, have one make the vader busy while the other two fight for the gate. One backstab can kill the host, the host should never be by the invader. That's why when someone invades, I see their health in the distance while I'm the summon. I just find them instantly, to engage them. Not even let the host get into the fight because I don't want to risk them dying.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:23 pm

As a white/gold phantom, the host's life is much more important than yours and the invaders. Unless you feel the host is harvesting others, then you should do anything to help, even if it feels unfair for the invader.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:26 pm

Fundamentally I agree with your stance. I've been on just about every side of this situation and when I'm trying to get past a boss so I can progress, I tend to react to invasions by dealing with them asap. If I have a sunbro with me I usually sent a quick message saying "keep mobs off if duel" Hoping if the invader does engage I can at least not have to fight off 3 silver knights while I'm at it.

But, I also am aware I pvp enthusiastically, and some Bros don't they want the jolly feelings of co-operation. If I'm in someone elses world and an invade comes I just react as the host does. If he finds a clear spot and wave/bows at the invader I stand nearby and watch their fight. If he beelines to the boss fog, well I do whatever to allow him to get there. I always carry a Force attuned on my sunbro exclusively to facilitate this.

I don't know why I typed so much, the answers is pretty simple myself and many others feel the same way as you, Help em out best you can unless it's obvious he just wants to win 3v1s

Also as an invader myself I usually welcome 2v1s it's a fun challenge and even if I end up dead I didn't really miss out on all that much
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:46 am

Here's my take.

Your job as a phantom is to keep your host alive. Hopefully until the boss is dead. If an invader comes, look to your host. Is he booking it to the boss? Follow him. Are you far from the boss? Fight.

How to fight? Any means necessary. Fight dirty, gank, heal, anything. Your host should heal you as needed. Remember, they're invading you, the dirty bastards.

This is coming from a Darkwraith invader. We'll fight dirty, and we expect you to too.
    Pennder
    Pennder
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Pennder Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:53 am

I appreciate this info. I want to help my host, but I also don't want be evil to an invader. I'll keep going like I'm going, as you guys said. Seems the right thing to do, as long as the host is heading towards the boss. Thanks for the perspective, folks!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:57 am

Note though on any means necessary, that doesn't mean glitching is cool. silly
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:58 am

Evil to the invader - pffffft. He is the evil one. If he were looking for a duel, he would drop a red soapstone. He gets what he deserves. Happy hunting.

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:01 am

Reim, I duel by invading. sad
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:15 am

For the last few weeks, I have too. But, invading questers = all gloves off. Invading hosts is completely different.

Again, IMO.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:17 am

Oh no, it is totally different. When I invade I check, quester or duelist. If quester, I either BC or act as a PvP bodyguard to fight any invader that comes in. A duelist, I duel them. Gankers? I kill them.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:18 am

Tolvo wrote:Gankers? I kill them.
    Amen.
    Tristan
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Tristan Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:28 am

Here is a brain buster. By the definition of the lore dmb's are ganking for "good." Considering this fact, sunbros shouldnt interfere when a blade invades.

Viia phone
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:32 am

Logic? To THE SUN with logic! PRAISE THE SUN ARGHGHGH! I MUST PROTECT MY HOST AT ANY MEANS NECESSARY! I WILL RECEIVE A SUN MEDAL AND BECOME GROSSLY INCANDESCENT!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:41 pm