Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
FruitPunchNinja
Bloodios
BIG TIME MASTER
7 posters

Realistic play through

BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Realistic play through Empty Realistic play through

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:01 am

Ive played through the game about six times now I think, but I've yet to finish a NG+. I always get bored as it becomes fairly easy and Im just focused on collecting and upgrading goodies.
    I unfortunately consulted the wiki early in my first play through. I wish I hadn't done that, and I wanted to try and recreate the extreme challenge and ignorance born simplicity of an original play through, so right now I am working this play through:

Rules: no HUD, you can turn it off in the menu
    You can only carry items that you can physically see on your character. So only one weapon at a time, only one shield, only one suit of armor. If you need to lighten your load to move quicker, you gotta drop it. No items in your inventory that you are not visibly using.
    No rings, other than game progress essential ones.

That's it. So far I have to say its definetly made for some pretty good thrills. Not knowing how much health you or your opponent have really focuses you on the combat, and not on watching red and green bars. Without all the junk on the screen, I've really learned to reappreciate the fine graphics and beautiful art design. And with such a spartan equipment load I have to make critical decisions about what to carry, but once I do I can't constantly change my mind. All in all it's a really focused play through that keeps you stuck on the gameplay experience and not on tweaking builds or playing dress up.
    Bloodios
    Bloodios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Realistic play through Empty Re: Realistic play through

Post by Bloodios Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:12 am

Can I at least open the menu and use a Transient Curse directly from there when I drop by New Londo Ruins? And what about healing? Estus Flask and Humanity can't be seen either (I don't think.)
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:15 am

Consumables can be used from the menu. The need to be seen applies to weapons and armor. Estus flask, homeward bones can all of course still be used. But because you can't see your inventory, I only keep estus on the quick menu.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:19 am

The degree of restriction you place on items can be up to you of course. For me this seems to be a fairly reasonable level of realism and it's providing a solid challenge. I think I might eliminate summoning, at least on my behalf, save for NPCs. Most of the bosses are easy if you have two people.
    Bloodios
    Bloodios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodios Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:27 am

So, at which locations is it allowable to change equipment and rearranging items? Can I do that while resting at a bonfire?
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:11 pm

I think you will find that those rules will end up just being tedious rather then challenging. My most fun/challenging playthrough has been: No lvling up,No dwgr,No elemetnal weapons,No poise.
    Baiulus
    Baiulus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Baiulus Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Actual realistic playhrough: "Holy ****, there's some scary crap out here. I'm staying in Firelink...."
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:02 pm

You can rearrange gear as you find it. Say for instance you come across a helmet you want, you can pick it up and wear it, but your current one has to go. So basically I'm upgrading my starting equipment, but I acquired a bastard sword and will probably stick with it.
    As to being tedious, any restricted play through that you do for challenges sake only will seem tedious. I'm doing this one for fun, for a new experience. I tried a no level build but after getting one hit killed continously by almost any boss I found that to be a little too demanding for my taste.
    I guess what I really want is a new experience.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:52 pm

What is it with people who want to make this game harder. Isn't it hard enough? Oh and I'd like to ask Big Time Master why he hasn't completed newgame+ if he thinks it's 'fairly easy'. Surely one run through wouldn't hurt.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:55 pm

I get bored of it. I said that in the first post. Why are you mad about the way im playing the game? Once you learn all the enemies and where everything is the game loses a big part of its challenge.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:45 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:I get bored of it. I said that in the first post. Why are you mad about the way im playing the game? Once you learn all the enemies and where everything is the game loses a big part of its challenge.

This is true, but NG+ is notoriously easy for the first half since your character is likely maxed out gear wise. The 2nd half of NG+ will be more difficult so if you haven't gotten that far you might give it a shot.

Also the single best limitation for making the game difficult is the no leveling up clause. That alone without any other restriction will make a huge difference as it limits your max burden, weapon types, magic, etc.. Even that is too easy for a lot of players so you can reduce it from there with no pyro, no dwgr/havel's ring, no elemental weapons, etc...

Edit: Also no master key will force you into areas you may be used to skipping.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:18 pm

Brilliant, just the thing I need to get back in the game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:09 pm